Old 10-21-2003, 02:40 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
A ripple in the sheet metal at the wheel well area is somewhat normal, due to simple bouncing.

A greater concern would be the condition of the axles. If they have deteriorated, they can also cause the ripple, as well as frame and axle mounting plate damage, and eventually rear end separation.

Andy

Old 10-21-2003, 04:02 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
Thank You

Thanks for the information Andy. I think that the unit is due for an axle replacement. I may do it just so that it's not an issue that I have to deal with in the near future. If there is separation, would the difference in movement between the body and the bumper be noticeable? It doesn't seem like there is any on my unit, but If it is a negligble thing, I may be missing it. On this unit, it looks like both the lower rear sections where it attaches to the pan as well as the section just above have been replaced. If someone would have replaced these and done the separation repair at the same time, Is there another way to tell if the repair had been done? I've been told that the 'Elephant Ear' patches were a shure sign that it had been done. I'd rather not have to pull up any panels if there is an easier way of checking. If not, I suppose it's all part of the adventure.

Old 10-21-2003, 10:46 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via ICQ to overlander76 Send a message via AIM to overlander76 Send a message via Yahoo to overlander76
I hope this isn't a stupid question but what are those "punch outs" on the frame there in the pictures? They look like knock outs in electrical boxes, look like they are stamped in the frame for some reason. They look like they would create a weak spot.

Brian
Old 10-21-2003, 11:03 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fun-Lovin
During the energy crisis of the 70's these were stamped out to save weight, unfortunatly they weaked the frame causing problems such as the one I had and the one Andy is showing. Granted out of ballance tires and other bad running gear can attribute to this also, overloading the rear end of the camper (full holding tanks) can aggervate it also.
WBCCI # 3516
Fun-Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 11:16 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via ICQ to overlander76 Send a message via AIM to overlander76 Send a message via Yahoo to overlander76
Thats amazing. Good discussion and great pics. I will be looking at my frame for cracks this week sometime. Thanks for all the info.

Brian
Old 07-04-2008, 09:17 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Tampa , Florida
So my question is, after installing the frame kit does the sheet metal over the wheels straighten up or do they stay bucked. Basically does the ripples go away?
Old 07-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Belleville , Ontario
OK, not to be dumb here but how straight should the exterior skin be? Now I'm getting paranoid... I look down the side of my 1968 30' Sovereign and there are some "waves" in the sheeting, particularly over the wheels. Should the skin be perfectly smooth?
The reason I ask is that I know I have some pretty bad rear-end separation (sounds like a personal problem... ha ha) but the front end skin ahead of the axles has about the same amount of "waviness" if "waviness" is a word, as the back. Does that indicate frame issues up front as well or is that normal?
Thanks everyone! Too bad you goys won't all cruise over here to Southern Ontario Canada and help me with my frame/floor issue... I'm so chicken to tackle it that I'm going to look in the yellow pages and beg for cheap written estimates. We have great beer, horribly high gas prices though.
Ryan
Old 07-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #36
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viesel View Post
So my question is, after installing the frame kit does the sheet metal over the wheels straighten up or do they stay bucked. Basically does the ripples go away?
Installing the frame kit, will do "NOTHING" for rear end separation.

It won't fix it and it won't prevent it.

The frame kit also, "WILL NOT" strighten up wrinkles in the sides.

IF, and that's a big IF, you wanted to add a frame kit, to get rid of the side wrinkles, then you "MUST" raise the rear end so that the tires are almost off the ground.

Then, and only then, could you add a frame kit, that "MIGHT" help reducing the side wrinkles, when the tires are back on the ground.

The frame kit takes care of the frame, only within it's length, and only if properly installed. The rear of the trailer is still free to sag, if it wants to,

To me, the only purpose of the frame kit, is to allow you to carry more weight, over the axles.

Then that brings up another subject. A frame kit will do nothing to correct what bad axles, will do to the trailer.

If you wanted to carry that extra weight over the axles, then the axles would have to be replaced to a higher rating.

Your axles are rated at 3200 pounds each, which really is not enough to start with anyway.

3500 pound ratings would be far superior.

Andy
Old 09-02-2008, 10:23 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Good info and good pictures I have a ripple on my right side but cant find any frame seperation or rotted issues.

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote