Old 07-24-2006, 08:29 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Marshall, I'm appalled at those photos. However, you have done a service to the forum by showing what can happen to a 5 year old trailer, so a bucket of karma is on its way to you for the excellent description and pictures. You have my sympathy.
Nick.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello Marshall ,

Nick is right you need to get a fibrascope /borascope ,same thing as it allows an inspection as nick stated inside the bellypan ,and you need someone to
do just that or dissapointment will be your friend if you buy it and its bad.
If not ,and its superficial and workable ,then you know what your getting .

Scott

Old 07-25-2006, 05:37 AM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswartz
Paul,
I've posted some images of the frame corrosion on my 2001 Bambi on my photos section to show what was hidden under the belly. Needless to say the repairs are going to take quite some time in my case.
See the picture gallery at: http://www.airforums.com/photo...ge.php?i=12550
It is in your interest to investigate the rusting you see pretty closely.
Marshall
Marshall,
Any idea what caused that amount of corrosion in such a short time? My 75 has corrosion about that bad, but it spent quite a bit of time in a coastal environment too. My soon to be aquired 80 has it even worse, as in the outrigger is basically gone...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:10 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Falmouth , Massachusetts
Thanks for the replies.

Much of the frame's original lacquer coating was intact and undisturbed in areas away from the axle or the bottom contact with the bellypan.

However, in perhaps 1/3 of the total contact area of the top of the frame structure to the floor deck face, which has compressed fiberglas in between, there is rusting. The condition of these areas are typically low penetration surface rust, unlike the conditions at the bottom of the frame structure where the wet condtions with road salt have provided a more agressive chloride attack on the steel.

I have to think through how I am going to handle this, as I suspect the sources of moisture include the ambient conditions within the bellypan as well as moisture transport through the floor. I can't entirely stop the trans-floor moisture transport as I cannot put a barrier without removing the shell and floor deck. On the other hand, I may have problems if I seal at least part of the frame structure with the bubble-foil/aluminum tape such that it does become a barrier. Then the condensation would have nowhere to go.

The bulk of the corrosion is clearly due to the moisture off the road carrying various salts. The wheel-well outriggers get the direct surface attack, and the remainder get bathed in the solution transported by moisture wicked along the insulation and aluminum/steel joints of the belly-to-frame contact.

In my opinion, a frame with a simple lacquer coating should never be used for this application. There are many things that could be done by the frame manufacturer to improve this situation. For instance, if the frame was galvanized as boat trailers are, I wouldn't be facing the problems I now have. Obviously, all these changes cost money, but not more than I am spending now on fixing this, not to mention the months of free time gone forever.

I'm still at the rust and paint removal stage now, trying to take advantage of the decent weather and some vacation time to get this dirty phase of the job done.

Marshall
mswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:30 PM   #19

1998 30' Excella 1000
Kerrville , Texas
WOW. All that rust after only 5 years. Was this from salty roads or beach corrosion? Paul
Old 07-25-2006, 10:02 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Falmouth , Massachusetts
While I live on Cape Cod, I'm four miles from the ocean and have been within 100 yards of seawater only once for about 10 minutes on a sunny dry day. Chlorides from the road have caused my problems, enhanced by the humidity we experience.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:12 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Seems like alot of rust for a 99. Some looks flaky. Figure the repair into the price.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:47 PM   #22
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Marshall, that does look like a lot of problems for such a new camper. I assume you are going to use POR-15 on the frame? If youíre not familiar with it, that stuff is hard as nails. I quite literally took a hammer to it on my í73 frame and it hardly left a mark.

I donít intend to put any insulation back in my belly pan for exactly the reasons you describe. There is a design flaw in the Ď70ís units that allows water to pour into the belly pan. This can be fixed, or at least worked around. The insulation becomes soaked and matted leading to keeping the moisture down there.

What have you come up with to seal the wheel well area? Iíve thought of some type of rubber (or similar) material between the banana wrap and outriggers. Doesnít seem good enough. Sealant on the inside requires access from the top, canít get there either. Maybe a combination of the two?

Let us know how it turns out.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:31 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Falmouth , Massachusetts
For my Bambi frame, after wirebrushing and sanding the rust off and leaving a roughened surface, I'm using some Pettit Paint product: four coats of moisture-cured polyurethane primer 6980: (http://www.pettitpaint.com/pet_cds/p...ds/1698008.pdf)
.. with two finish coats of the 3706 Eazypoxy oil-modified polyurethane: (http://www.pettitpaint.com/pet_cds/p...s/1370606.pdf).

My hands have been painted for days after my painting gloves got tears. The polyurethane paint got through and dried on the skin, and there are no solvents for it- I'll have to await the skin to abrade off.

At the rate I have free time to do this cleanup and painting, it may be December before I get finished.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:58 PM   #24
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I would just wire brush, POR-15 and you're good to go!

Or have the dealer do it at no cost.

Or reduce the price to cover about 2-300$$

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
I found a used 2000 19' Bambi near here, that has lived within a quarter mile of the coast all it's life. The corosion was so bad you couldn't get the access doors to open. Several large warts in the frame to include the tounge and rear bumper mounts. The pan inside the bumper storage area was rusted through in several places. Inside is somewhat moldy and I saw a carpenter ant walk by while I was looking it over. The owner wants $3K over NADA low retail value. I think I'm walking away from this, but I'd like other opinions.

Randy
Old 10-08-2006, 06:01 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Falmouth , Massachusetts
Randy,
Your description sounds like the Bambi is in very bad shape. Based on my experience on my 2001 Bambi, I would not consider buying the trailer you describe, as there are so many better options in the marketplace. That Florida unit would need a good inspection and very likely an enormous amount of work simply to stabilize its condition, and that is money and time better spent elsewhere in my opinion.
Good luck.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Marshall,
Thanks for the confirmation. I passed on it. Still looking.
Thanks,

Randy
Old 07-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #28

2005 25' Safari
midland , Texas
Rusting Bambi

Gents- I have an '05 25' Bambi... I bought this in Lubbock TX. Never been to the coast or northern climates... It's rusting at all the seams.. rear frame, wheel wells, battery box.... As second owner, I haven't even had a chance to get out and use it and its rusting from under me in the 'bloody desert'... Are Airstreams just prone to disintegrate or is there a solution? I am not in the mood to pull the body off the frame to rememedy. HELP!!!

Thanks...the nutts