Old 05-28-2010, 04:19 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
rozenburg , netherlands
Wooooh that is looking amazing! I decided to go on, it looks like a lot of fun, anger, fear..... But this forum is great and when i finally done it, i will be in heaven
Our Airstream is a double rear bed model. The bathroom will be changed and the tank for the toilet will be removed, and another toilet will be placed.
Because in Europe it is not that easy to empty the original one.
The kitchen area will be updated as well, a new fridge. And a double bed. Maybe the front seating area will be changed as well. But i want to keep original features as well.
It will be a great challenge but i am preparing for it. Got a couple cases of beer so when i don't get trough.....
Let the fun begin.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:22 AM   #16
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The order Terry gave is kind of right. The side channel wraps the floor. You will need to cut the belly line rivets and lift the shell leaving the channel in place. Skip the remove screws part till the shell is off, for half of them will be a bugger to get out and the extra clearance will make it much easier.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:19 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
rozenburg , netherlands
Ok, in a few weeks i have my summerholidays and want to do a lot. Till then i only have a few hours a day.
Today i started to remove the interior. Made pictures and numbered screws in bags.
Everything in front is empty, and removed the fridge and the cabinet left to it. And what a mess..
Tomorrow another part. Thanks for your info guys, it's helping me a lot
Old 05-28-2010, 06:42 AM   #18
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
After you get everything out, and the shell off the floor, lay fresh plywood on top of the original, before you remove it, crawl under the frame and floor assembly with a pencil, and trace the floor onto the new plywood. Every cut and hole is there for a reason, unless it is rotted, and it's a lot easier to have all the stuff put directly onto the new wood. Number the new plywood, starting with "1" being the front, and an arrow on each one pointing forward, on the top of the plywood.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:10 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I agree: hard to imagine that much frame rot without the matching amount of floor rot...

You're just having pre-full monte jitters. Once you accept that the floor and frame need done, you will start planning how you will make the bones of your trailer brand new.
I love that phase "pre-full-monte jitters"...I have had that about six times so far and I'm only about 25% through the monte. Each time it sets in after the discovery of some unanticipated phase of the restoration. Generally I spend a day or night searching the forum educating myself on the particular aspect of the work and soaking up encouragement from the members. It takes about a day to recover then I dive back in with renewed enthusiasm! All the while knowing that will be an awesome thing when done.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:18 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
rozenburg , netherlands
I know the feeling, every time it is great to get something done, sometimes my wife stays at a safe distance till the job is done

Today about an hour of time. I dismanteld the wardrobe closet. The pipeline that goes to the roof is gone as well. Why is this thing so long? Couldn't it go straight up?
Another thing i am wondering myself, is what is that waterline that comes out of the floor and goes to the backside of the trailer?

In the meantime the trailer looks like there has been an explosion First i have to look for some space to store the parts, the garage is allready filled

Old 05-29-2010, 06:50 AM   #21
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
All the fresh water lines should run on top of the floor. There will be a couple of lines that go to the fresh water tank and the low point drain, but they should both go pretty much straight down. There should be a few plastic ducts for the furnace to go to the holding tanks so they don't freeze when it is cold. The vent pipes that go into the roof are bent so they don't take up so much space in the middle of the living area of the trailer. All the black ABS pipes are for the sewer system.

I see from your photo you have an assistant, is it a Jack Russell Terrorist? My 4 legged assistant does her best to hold the couch down when I'm working on the trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc1500 View Post
I know the feeling, every time it is great to get something done, sometimes my wife stays at a safe distance till the job is done

Today about an hour of time. I dismanteld the wardrobe closet. The pipeline that goes to the roof is gone as well. Why is this thing so long? Couldn't it go straight up?
Another thing i am wondering myself, is what is that waterline that comes out of the floor and goes to the backside of the trailer?

In the meantime the trailer looks like there has been an explosion First i have to look for some space to store the parts, the garage is allready filled

Old 05-29-2010, 06:53 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
rozenburg , netherlands
Yes that's our jack russel terrorist Kees. Always around and wondering what i am doing to his playground.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:53 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
rozenburg , netherlands
No time to work on the trailer, but i was looking to find the wright rivets and gun to put the shell back on. Yes i am an optimist Because i live in europe i have to order parts a long time ahead.
I saw this kit in vintagetrailer supply. Is it worth it and do i need al those stuff?
Airstream Buck Riveting Kit
qc1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Quote:

The city water line on my 77' ran above the subfloor from the back of the trailer to the side of the fridge from there it jumped down under the subfloor where it ran across to the fresh water tank. IN the back it ducked back uner the subfloor and out next to the trunk.

When the garage is filled start stuffing it into the attic. I hope the wife doesnt try to go up there looking for anything...yikes.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
rozenburg , netherlands
Why is that city waterline so long to the back? I can see that the floor gets wet underneath it because of condensation. So i would like to cut it, and leave it that way when building up again(what seems a few years away)
Today i went on dismanteling the old lady, kitchen and bathroom are gone. The toilet is on her own. Don't know how to remove that but i will certainly find out on this great source of information....update: just found the two bolts so toilet is gone too.
Sorry no pictures today, because my wife took the kodak to her job.
So will take pictures tomorrow. And now......a cold bottle of hertog Jan beer!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Hey now, I thought this was going to be about Airstreams. Lets leave the "old lady" talk to the bikers!

Rich the Viking

Quote:
Why is that city waterline so long to the back? I can see that the floor gets wet underneath it because of condensation. So i would like to cut it, and leave it that way when building up again(what seems a few years away)
Today i went on dismanteling the old lady, kitchen and bathroom are gone. The toilet is on her own. Don't know how to remove that but i will certainly find out on this great source of information....update: just found the two bolts so toilet is gone too.
Sorry no pictures today, because my wife took the kodak to her job.
So will take pictures tomorrow. And now......a cold bottle of hertog Jan beer!
Old 06-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
rozenburg , netherlands
Ok you are right, So let's say dismanteling de Mazzel!! De Mazzel has 2 explanations in dutch, it means See You! and lucky. We always call our trailer or motorhome De Mazzel.
De Mazzel!
Old 06-03-2010, 05:05 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
rozenburg , netherlands
a few pics

A pic of today,again only a few hours of time. But only 2 more days and then our holiday starts, first a trip to France of 2 weeks and then 3 weeks of Airstream

Tags
1974, 31', europe, sovereign