Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2010, 05:50 AM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
All the fresh water lines should run on top of the floor. There will be a couple of lines that go to the fresh water tank and the low point drain, but they should both go pretty much straight down. There should be a few plastic ducts for the furnace to go to the holding tanks so they don't freeze when it is cold. The vent pipes that go into the roof are bent so they don't take up so much space in the middle of the living area of the trailer. All the black ABS pipes are for the sewer system.

I see from your photo you have an assistant, is it a Jack Russell Terrorist? My 4 legged assistant does her best to hold the couch down when I'm working on the trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc1500 View Post
I know the feeling, every time it is great to get something done, sometimes my wife stays at a safe distance till the job is done

Today about an hour of time. I dismanteld the wardrobe closet. The pipeline that goes to the roof is gone as well. Why is this thing so long? Couldn't it go straight up?
Another thing i am wondering myself, is what is that waterline that comes out of the floor and goes to the backside of the trailer?

In the meantime the trailer looks like there has been an explosion First i have to look for some space to store the parts, the garage is allready filled

Old 05-29-2010, 05:53 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
rozenburg , netherlands
Yes that's our jack russel terrorist Kees. Always around and wondering what i am doing to his playground.
qc1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:53 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
rozenburg , netherlands
No time to work on the trailer, but i was looking to find the wright rivets and gun to put the shell back on. Yes i am an optimist Because i live in europe i have to order parts a long time ahead.
I saw this kit in vintagetrailer supply. Is it worth it and do i need al those stuff?
Airstream Buck Riveting Kit
Old 06-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Quote:
I know the feeling, every time it is great to get something done, sometimes my wife stays at a safe distance till the job is done

Today about an hour of time. I dismanteld the wardrobe closet. The pipeline that goes to the roof is gone as well. Why is this thing so long? Couldn't it go straight up?
Another thing i am wondering myself, is what is that waterline that comes out of the floor and goes to the backside of the trailer?

In the meantime the trailer looks like there has been an explosion First i have to look for some space to store the parts, the garage is allready filled

The city water line on my 77' ran above the subfloor from the back of the trailer to the side of the fridge from there it jumped down under the subfloor where it ran across to the fresh water tank. IN the back it ducked back uner the subfloor and out next to the trunk.

When the garage is filled start stuffing it into the attic. I hope the wife doesnt try to go up there looking for anything...yikes.
MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
rozenburg , netherlands
Why is that city waterline so long to the back? I can see that the floor gets wet underneath it because of condensation. So i would like to cut it, and leave it that way when building up again(what seems a few years away)
Today i went on dismanteling the old lady, kitchen and bathroom are gone. The toilet is on her own. Don't know how to remove that but i will certainly find out on this great source of information....update: just found the two bolts so toilet is gone too.
Sorry no pictures today, because my wife took the kodak to her job.
So will take pictures tomorrow. And now......a cold bottle of hertog Jan beer!
Old 06-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Hey now, I thought this was going to be about Airstreams. Lets leave the "old lady" talk to the bikers!

Rich the Viking

Quote:
Why is that city waterline so long to the back? I can see that the floor gets wet underneath it because of condensation. So i would like to cut it, and leave it that way when building up again(what seems a few years away)
Today i went on dismanteling the old lady, kitchen and bathroom are gone. The toilet is on her own. Don't know how to remove that but i will certainly find out on this great source of information....update: just found the two bolts so toilet is gone too.
Sorry no pictures today, because my wife took the kodak to her job.
So will take pictures tomorrow. And now......a cold bottle of hertog Jan beer!
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
rozenburg , netherlands
Ok you are right, So let's say dismanteling de Mazzel!! De Mazzel has 2 explanations in dutch, it means See You! and lucky. We always call our trailer or motorhome De Mazzel.
De Mazzel!
Old 06-03-2010, 04:05 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
rozenburg , netherlands
a few pics

A pic of today,again only a few hours of time. But only 2 more days and then our holiday starts, first a trip to France of 2 weeks and then 3 weeks of Airstream
Old 06-03-2010, 05:00 AM   #29
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
now that is a sign of progress. Soon it will look like this...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1366.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	819.5 KB
ID:	103894
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1974 25' Tradewind
1973 31' Sovereign
Charlottesville , Virginia
I see that I have been going about the restoration of my 62 GT in a most haphazard way and need to consider way more than just how it came apart! I removed the entire interior, then the floor and the welder just finished the cross members today. I thought the next step would be to POR the frame and then reinstall plywood but am not sure if the outriggers and C-channel are in good enough shape to do that. Any suggestions re how to determine the integrity of those and how to make the plywood install a little easier? Thanks so much for all your insight, it's a huge help as I start my first rebuild.
ASIcons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:18 AM   #31

1976 Argosy 24
Duncan , British Columbia
awesome thread for where I'm at!

I have been reading through this thread and appreciate the detail. I bought a 76 Argosy last weekend and have completely stripped the interior. I noticed that every place there was either a water tank, black water tank or water heater the floor under it was completely rotted out. I don't think they are leaking. Due to the lack of insulation around them I would guess it is due to condensation. seeing this really has me concerned about putting that stuff back in. I opened up the floor and the frame is fairly rusty but not structurally compromised. That being said, I haven't opened up the rear end where the bathroom is yet. I am not planning on selling my trailer any time down the road and am considering doing minimal plumbing to supply water to the sink and shower but maybe converting to a simple vip toilet with it's own holding tank as we are a fan of campgrounds with showers so the trailer doesn't need one. I am also looking into solar kits and led puck lights. Call me crazy but a small woodstove would be nice too, ever heard of such a thing? I also noticed sagging around the wheel wells and am thinking the whole floor needs to go. I have the uneasy sence that I am biting off more than I can chew... Any tips and wisdom is appreciated, Thanks
beewillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #32
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Hey Beewills I have seen a wood burning marine stove check out Traditional Cast Iron Marine Stoves by Navigator Stove Works,Inc.
I am also starting the grueling task of renovation. But with these forums its making that pill a bit easier to swallow.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #33
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by beewillis View Post
Any tips and wisdom is appreciated, Thanks
Don't give up. Keep repeating to yourself, "If it's to be it's up to me."
Old 06-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #34
x

XXXX , XXXX
Frame Rot on 73 Excella 500

I don't have the time or space to pull the shell off my trailer. The floor is only soft in one spot under the bed in the rear below rear window. Most of my wet floor is from window and other roof leaks. The rear of the trailer floor is solid but there is some (minor damage) where the steel channel is bolted to the floor. Mostly interior wall where it meets the floor is coroding from leaking in at rear bumper cover but the floor is solid . How difficult is it to repair the frame, crossmembers and outriggers without removing the shell? I have, I suspect a lot of rot to my crossmembers at the rear because my stabilizer jacks are falling down and have nothing to attach to under the belly pan. Afew years ago the belly pan came loose from the rear bumper and I had to do a quick repair to get it back in place. I was moving from one park to another and only had a few hours to do the move in December(very cold to lay down on the ground here in Dec). Are the crossmembers available for sale? I have heard that the outriggers are available but have seen nothing about crossmembers. I will advise further once I pull down the belly pans and have a good look. I don't want to pull down the pans unless it is possible to repair frame etc with shell still on.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #35
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
out of doors mart. They have cross members and outriggers.
1973 was a good year for leaky rears. Rebuilding one right now. Not the best engineering on how everything comes together back there. The bumper hatch actually encourages water to go under the plywood.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:33 PM   #36
x

XXXX , XXXX
Can crossmembers be installed without pulling up the floor? Any suggestions how to seal up rear without removing floor? My floor is in pretty good shape only some damage to interior skin wher it meets the floor from contact with steel channel in side. My trailer is missing the bumper hatch cover. And ideas wher to find one?
Old 06-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #37
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Be sure to wear your asbestos underwear if you try that, Chris.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:30 AM   #38
x

XXXX , XXXX
reno of interior

I have started cleaning up the interior. I used a spray paint for plastics to repaint the interior panels. After 37 years it had faded and yellowed to an extremely ugly color.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	312.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	105122   Click image for larger version

Name:	313.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	105123  

Name:	314.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	105124   Click image for larger version

Name:	315.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	105125  

Old 06-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #39

1976 Argosy 24
Duncan , British Columbia
Thanks Marzboy!

That is exactly what I have been looking for in a wood stove, never even thought of a marine stove, what a great idea and terrific example. Thanks for the pic and link Marzboy!
beewillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
rozenburg , netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
out of doors mart. They have cross members and outriggers.
1973 was a good year for leaky rears. Rebuilding one right now. Not the best engineering on how everything comes together back there. The bumper hatch actually encourages water to go under the plywood.
I ordered new outriggers and will use them on the new frame, saves a little time making them. And indeed, the bumper hatch.... Don't know who designed it like that. So that is one of the thing that have to be changed.

Just back from our summerbreak so will be starting with the Airstream soon again. The planning is to have the shell removed within 2 weeks from now.

I got a message that there will arrive a shipment with parts this week ( Removall, nuvite, lights.....) It's Christmas again

Tags
1974, 31', europe, sovereign