Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Rutledge , Georgia
Frame Rot - New Frame

I have been slowly working on a shell off restoration of a 29 foot 1969 Ambassador Airstream. I have the odd habit of taking on labor intensive projects over Labor Day weekend. Two years ago, I thought it would be a good idea to lay 9 pallets of sod. I am surprised my family still talks to me after that stunt. So this weekend, I thought it was time sand blast the frame of the Airstream. Well, two days into the blasting, I had to come to the inevitable conclusion there is not enough metal left on the frame to save the frame. Suggestions for frame building?
jcawley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
I found a local welder and they used my old frame as a template to make a new one. I had new axles delivered right to their shop along with new shocks and a new jack. Gave them POR15 and had it painted as well. Took about 2 months to get back but looks great you can see it just search for "millertime's 1876 Tradewind floor rot " thread.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-01-2014, 07:35 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Rutledge , Georgia
I was thinking about that. I have new axles that are under the current frame and can be transferred. In my ambassador, the duct work for the heat ran through the openings in the cross members. Looks like I can get the cross members online but they are not cheap. What did you do for your cross members?
jcawley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
My ducting was all above the floor, but your welder can cut or you can cut those holes as needed afterward. I told my welder where I needed holes and gave measurements and he cut them for me. Making the crossmembers out of solid steel angle iron will be much stronger than your original crossmembers with all the holes in them. I recall reading Airstream did that to save weight since passenger cars needed to pull the trailers. With modern trucks we can handle the weight increase so why not beef it up a little?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums