Old 05-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #239
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocoque
I don't want to start cutting holes in the new outrigger if adding a few new parts will solve the problem. Apparently the lever-arm has been completely redesigned but I don't see those offered for sale. So I may need to fabricate? Maybe Dan at ODM will read this and respond.
I would think in you can modify the new to look like the old you will be fine. Give Dan a call... he may have a better idea.

http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #240
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Step outriggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
Put your finger HERE
Here are the Outriggers Lefthand.

Here are the Outriggers Righthand.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #241
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
clear-coat removal

Yesterday I decided not to let that brand new gallon of Napier RemovALL 220 sit there doing nothing. So I waited until it was about 95 degrees instead of 99 degrees outside and I began applying the stripper with a paint brush by hand. I let it sit just long enough to apply a single coating all the way around the trailer. Probably about 1 hour. Then working in the same direction around the trailer I used water and a large car wash brush to brush off the stripper and old coating. This stuff works great and now I have close to a mirror shine at least on the lower 3/4 of the skins. The coating was definitely gone on the end caps, upper skins and top and oxidation is evident there. Still it's amazing the beauty that can be found after 32 years hidden below the worn layers in these trailers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0225.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	60278   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0226.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	60279  

Name:	100_0227.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	60280  

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #242
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
WOW, Todd! That looks great! I was going to suggest that you call Dan, but I see that's been taken care of. Keep a close eye on that small spring, it can cause all sorts of issues if you have problems with it (ask me how I know ).

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:09 PM   #243
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Dan as mentioned I have those outriggers. The trouble is apparently they don't match the model of steps on my trailer. Question is how does the lever arm work on the newer model steps and is that lever available as a part for purchase? If so I can probably upgrade the lever arm on my existing steps rather than fabricating the new outriggers to fit the old lever-arm. I was hoping somebody might also have some photos depicting how the newer lever arms work.

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #244
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
double-step release mechanism upgrade

Looking carefully at the newer model of stairs versus the older model on my trailer Dan and I decided that the the old steps can be upgraded to fit the newer outriggers. Thanks Dan! Karma to ya!

The significant difference between the older steps and the new steps is the step release mechanism. Rather than modify the new outriggers to fit the old step release mechanism I decided to upgrade my steps with a new step release mechanism. Looks like it's going to cost about $45 in parts to do the upgrade.

Dan was very kind to provide photos of the new step release mechanism for comparison and agreed to let me post them here. So I'm going to order the parts for the upgrade and avoid modifying the outriggers. Occasionally I like to solve problems the easier way!

I should also mention that it looks like it would also be possible to adapt the new outriggers to fit the older release mechanism. However, there is a plastic bushing that would be necessary and I'm not sure those parts are still available. Occasionally I prefer to solve problems the easier way!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF4107.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	60443   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4118.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	60444  

Name:	DSCF4119.jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	60445  

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-14-2008, 05:22 PM   #245
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
small spring issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Keep a close eye on that small spring, it can cause all sorts of issues if you have problems with it (ask me how I know ).

Jim
Jim, okay I simply can't resist asking any longer. I've had my eye on that small spring for awhile now and it has yet to reveal it's secrets. Do tell us about these small spring issues. Perhaps your experience will also lend some insight into why the release mechanism has been changed? The old style spring has actually been eliminated in the new model. If you look closely at the middle photo in post 244 you can see the new style spring attached to point where the release mechanism is bolted to the outrigger.

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #246
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
That spring is there to keep tension on the release handle so that it stays in the "up" position. I screwed up by accidentally POR-ing it while POR-ing the frame. I was able to get most of it off before it dried, but it would have surely "frozen" the spring in position if it had stayed on there.

Jim

On edit: I think the new setup looks much studier, BTW. I would change mine out if I had the chance. I didn't know there was an alternative when I had the belly pan off.

Air No. 6427
Old 05-15-2008, 06:33 PM   #247
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
That spring is there to keep tension on the release handle so that it stays in the "up" position. I screwed up by accidentally POR-ing it while POR-ing the frame. I was able to get most of it off before it dried, but it would have surely "frozen" the spring in position if it had stayed on there.

Jim

On edit: I think the new setup looks much studier, BTW. I would change mine out if I had the chance. I didn't know there was an alternative when I had the belly pan off.
There might need to be a slight modification to the wrap in that area to accomodate the new release mechanism. I'll let you know how the upgrade works when the parts arrive.

Instead, how about POR-ing the spring in the extended position, let it dry, then release the tension. Actually it seems like a good idea to POR the spring given the amount of rust I discovered on mine. See the above photos in post #236.

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #248
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
axles and outriggers

Stopped by John's, the welder, today to discuss positioning the axle mounting plates and to take measurements. The position of these plates vis-a-vis measurements to the center of the jack stand is critical in order to properly align the axles and balance the running gear. We took measurements from the outside to the outside of the frame (or inside to inside the plates) so the new axles will, hopefully, fit the new frame. Apparently the factory measurement for this year model is 61-3/8". The old frame, however, measured 61-1/2" and was our pattern for the new frame. So the new axles will be cut to that dimension. I'm going with a new set of Henschens. BTW Andy and Greg at Inland RV were easy to reach and very helpful providing the necessary information. Kudos to them both for their expertise and help!

Basically, work on the frame has slowed somewhat while the axles are being measured, fitted, ordered and shipped. This is a critical point so I've been moving cautiously. So I was thrilled to discover that in the meantime John has been welding up outriggers! As mentioned we used some salvaged channel for the outriggers and while they look a bit shabby next to the new steel eventually with the help of a little POR they'll look great. I can say this they are definitely stronger than the existing outriggers. John and I were really happy with the way they turned out too. Here's a few photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0230.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	60532   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0231.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	60533  

Name:	100_0233.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	60534   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0235.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	60535  

Name:	100_0232.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	60536  

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #249
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
stabilizer jack mounting plate

In post no. 13 of this thread I described how the stabilizer jack mounting plate had completely rusted through and detached from the frame. And at some point when pressure was applied while stabilizing the trailer the jack had punctured the belly pan. Pieces of the mounting plate AND FRAME were still bolted to the jack when I removed the jack! So today I'm very happy to show the new rearward stabilizer jack mounting plate! BTW those rusty, bent stabilizer jacks eventually need replacing too. They look as if they have served their time above and beyond the call of duty. Don't you love the look of that shiny, freshly welded steel?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3430.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	60597   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3432.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	60598  

Name:	IMG_3438.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	60600   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0229.jpg
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	60601  

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-18-2008, 10:35 PM   #250
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Clever solution, Cap'n Jack.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 05-19-2008, 08:16 AM   #251
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Monocoque - could you please ask & report back what amperage and rod type the Welder used on the average outrigger (ie: _0232 & _0233) as posted above? It's just an itching curiosity on my part, I've already welded in replacement outriggers but they sure didn't come out as neat as those & I have a few more places to mend... (Thanks in advance)

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:40 PM   #252
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
filiform corrosion

Wabbiteer, I'll check on it for you.

BTW in post no. 17 of this thread I asked myself whether I had seen the worst realizing the frame was going to need replacing.

Yesterday, I think I discovered the second worst airstream misfortune: filiform corrosion. Now what are the odds of ending up with a trailer with not only frame rot but also a pretty serious case of filiform corrosion! I suppose the two do go hand-in-hand.

At first I thought I was only having trouble with heavy oxidation. So I even started a thread describing it: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441...ion-42083.html Pretty quickly, though, I was advised that the trouble was more serious and in fact filiform corrosion.

What's that, I asked? Well the thread goes into it complete with photos but it seems I may have dodged another bullet...yet again: apparently there is a remedy! When I bought the airstream nobody ever said I was going to need a copy of "Zen and the Art of Airstream Maintenance" to go along with it.

- Captain Jack Sparrow