Old 04-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #155
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
We're going shopping for steel tomorrow morning!

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:24 PM   #156
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
WOW! How hard was it too lift back on the wood when it slid? Bet some choice words were uttered!

Weight of the frame - I believe each axle with brakes is about 200#'s from what I've read - so the frame alone is around 900#'s.... say 1000#'s from a "non-Swiss Cheese" modified frame? : )

Are you anchoring the frame down so it won't blow up off the blocks in a strong wind?
How long for the new trailer to be built?
Marc

3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #157
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
WOW! How hard was it too lift back on the wood when it slid? Bet some choice words were uttered!

Weight of the frame - I believe each axle with brakes is about 200#'s from what I've read - so the frame alone is around 900#'s.... say 1000#'s from a "non-Swiss Cheese" modified frame? : )

Are you anchoring the frame down so it won't blow up off the blocks in a strong wind?
How long for the new trailer to be built?
Marc
I was lucky the shell didn't slide off the 4x4's. Actually, I didn't say much. I was too concentrated on the front end section hoping it wouldn't slide off the cinderblock pillars because of the heighth of the pillars on that end. I did have to restack the pillars on that end because they got knocked off balance during the slide.

Thanks for the data on the axles and brake assemblies! As you suggest it's a 900 lb. frame. We bought the steel today and the welding begins very soon.

I have not anchored the shell and the wind really blows at my place. After working with the shell I realized it's very heavy especially with the wooden framing and I became convinced that it's too heavy for ordinary wind to move around. Hopefully we finish with the new frame before hurricane season!

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 04-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #158
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Congratulations Todd, that is major progress and in a very short time!

Hurricane season is pretty far away (as is the ocean ), but given the intense thunderstorms and near-tornado-like activity we've had in Central Texas over the past week, I might be inclined to go ahead and anchor it temporarily to its supports just for peace of mind.

Any idea when you'll get the frame back from the welder?

Keep up the great work and good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #159
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Thanks Marcus. I really appreciate it! The support and advise I've been receiving here on the forum has played a huge role in making this project actually possible. As a complete neebie to Airstreams and since this is my first trailer too I would never have attempted this on my own without the support I've received here. Lots of karma to everyone!

The welder is retired and is a trailer owner although not an airstream trailer owner. But he's really psyched about the project. We went to Triple S Steel, the grocery store for steel, here in San Antonio this morning and bought all the material. So the work on the frame will actually begin today. The main rails are 5x2x3/16 tube and the cross-member and outriggers will be a combination of 5x1.75x.190. and 4x1.56x.125 channel. Even though I chose to go with channel, rather than tube, for the cross-member and outriggers the channel is plenty strong compared to factory material.

I few of you have requested privately that I post my expenses and number of hours invested. So eventually I'll add up my time and expenses. The numbers are actually smaller than I initially projected. Most of my earlier projections are actually listed in this tread. If there is any more information about this project you'd like to hear about that I haven't mentioned please don't hesitate to post! I enjoy hearing from you all.

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 04-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #160
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I know, the winds shouldn't pick up too much, but I just get the heebi geebies thinking of what could happen to your shell.

They sell inexpensive stakes (I even saw them at the dollar store here) that screw into the ground to anchor awnings... or large dogs... a couple of dollars invested to tie that shell down might be pennies in the long run. Just tie them to the wood inside.

Can't wait to see the pics of the welding!
Bought new axles yet?
Marc
Old 04-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #161
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Calling Andy is next on my list. From the rumors I've heard the shipping charges are kind of steep?

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 04-29-2008, 05:37 PM   #162
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Well, it's all realitve. Those axles could also be coming from OH, which isn't so bad.... but yes, it will be more expensive. That said, now is the best time to put those (any) axles on, as you have great access to everything, AND you will be drilling holes anyway in the virgin steel to mount them.

Visit HiHoRV's thread for his insight into axles.... I also think he had a bad dealer experience but it then all worked out.
Marc
Old 04-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #163
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocoque
From the rumors I've heard the shipping charges are kind of steep?
Find a friendly business to ship them to. My shipping (to near Houston) was $310 (I think) because I have a commercial business. Mine are suppose to ship the end of this week.
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:24 PM   #164
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Cambridge , Massachusetts
Hey, this is great stuff. This is my first post. Absolutely fascenating! My thought is that you could simplify your frame construction by buying those ready built outrigger replacements discussed in 2/28 comment by Dan4odm.
I'm looking forward to doing this myself someday,
JoePfznik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #165
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Well, it's all realitve. Those axles could also be coming from OH, which isn't so bad.... but yes, it will be more expensive. That said, now is the best time to put those (any) axles on, as you have great access to everything, AND you will be drilling holes anyway in the virgin steel to mount them.

Visit HiHoRV's thread for his insight into axles.... I also think he had a bad dealer experience but it then all worked out.
Marc
Wow! I took a quick peek at a few threads regarding the "axle question" and feel as though I just stepped into a deep galosh! Where to begin?

At your suggestion I'll start with HiHoRV's thread just to get my feet a tad bit wetter concerning axles issues? And then there is the Henschen/Dexter debate?

Seems I must resolve that debate for myself, once and for all, before holes are drilled in the axle mounting plates! I feel those dizzy spells coming on again...

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 04-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #166
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePfznik
Hey, this is great stuff. This is my first post. Absolutely fascenating! My thought is that you could simplify your frame construction by buying those ready built outrigger replacements discussed in 2/28 comment by Dan4odm.
I'm looking forward to doing this myself someday,
Welcome to the forum!

Concerning outriggers I had considered buying them ready-made at a point before I realized that the entire frame needed to be replaced. Then I found out that most of the outriggers were toast. At that point it was pretty easy to decide to go the fabrication route. It's really no problem for a good welder and maybe even for a bad one! :-)

On the other hand if I were replacing a few outriggers I would at least consider the ready-mades if I didn't want to fuss with hiring a welder...or learning to weld myself. I good welder is a good friend to have!

The same goes for cross-members. I think Andy said earlier in the thread that cross-members are available ready-made too.

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 04-29-2008, 11:11 PM   #167
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
first day of welding

We started welding today! That's John in the photo running the first bead. Here's a few photos of the 5 inch tube. Beautiful material and perfectly straight. We went with the 3/16 thickness but now I think the .120 would have been plenty strong and slightly lighter weight. We stopped at 5 p.m. and three cross-members had already been tacked into place.
Attached Images

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 04-30-2008, 04:00 AM   #168
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Todd,

It looks like you decided to go with tubes for the cross members also... are you foregoing the use of elevator bolts? Although that makes the floor easier to install, I think you will find that the wafer head screws will "pop" over time.

Looks like you are making great progress!

http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote