Old 05-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #57
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Falcon
candler , North Carolina
Thank you everyone for your input and words of encouragement.

I've worked as a mechanical engineer and also a machinist. I do not weld, but as Mixter mentioned, I may use this case as impetus for learning to weld.

I am visiting a company this morning Colfax Trailer & Repair here in NC later this morning. They build custom trailers, so I feel quite confident they can either repair or build a new one. It has been difficult to find a shop that is confident to fix my current frame. Perhaps the liability of working on a on-highway application scares some shops?

My vision is to not really change the frame design. It's very light, low-profile, and functional - albeit rusted to pieces in places. After reading some of the comments, I considered adding a gray tank. However, I think I could manage the same function with an external tank, and just run a line to it when I don't have an actual drain hookup at a park. This is more of a guess because I have not recently researched it.

For the inside, I have retained some of the original components: sinks, stove/oven, drawers, bath tub. I would like to utilize some of these original components surrounded by more modern cabinetry and panels.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadeemry View Post

Wrong forum site, we do air streams.
I take this back completely,I had no idea those existed, so awesome!

Old 05-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
This sounds like it could be an awesome project. If the shell is in great condition a new 5" structural channel frame with a 5,200# Flexiride Axle would be a nice combination. When the frame is heavy enough, you can install a new gray water and black water tank along with more domestic water capacity to make a real nice boondocking rig.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
fort lauderdale , Florida
Hey Mixter,

I just reread back in this thread and you stated "you didn't brace the shell via Colin's advice" I have already braced for my shell off but was curious why he told you NOT to brace. I would think bracing will keep the shell from wanting to rack.
Thanks
Eric
Old 06-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Correct- I did not brace. There may have been some slight flex or rack, but nothing more than happens going down the road. The shell is very rigid. I think bracing it would just add unnecessary weight. I think the general fear is that the aluminum shell is going to collapse or buckle, but the dome shape is actually very strong. Think of a piece of paper. It is very weak as an 8.5" x 11" sheet. Roll it up into a tube, though, and it would hold quite a bit of weight. I've also read concerns about people concerned their door would never line up again... I just dont see that happening....

Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-29_11-14-10_493.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	188509  
Old 06-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
fort lauderdale , Florida
I was really worried about the racking and was doing a shell on...as well as living in south florida, hurricane alley, so I opted for the bracing. I only used one by 6's and some angle bracing, so I don't think the additional lumber weight is that substantial.
Here's a pic while I was still removing the floor. There is a third brace (not shown in the pic) just forward of the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0676.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	188527  
Old 10-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
cary , North Carolina
Just an update, I had real life issues come up and some issues with ordering custom outriggers, found a better place and I got half the outriggers already.

the frame i have needs the rear end repaired(bought a used frame from same year), if anyone has pictures specifically of the rear end so our welder can fabricate it as close as he can, then I'm all game. Any tips would be awesome as well.

it looks like the rear of this frame had some kinda water damage and started rusting, however everything forward minus the outriggers and some spots is still factory paint black. ill enclose pictures tomorrow.