Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Landenberg , Pennsylvania
Frame repair and reinforce

http://197519751975airstream.blogspot.com/

I was having trouble finding a frame specific repair thread so thought I would start one.
frame and its issues:

1. The frame buckles and sags from just behind the rear axle.
2. on the toilet side the bottom of the main C channel has some rusted through holes.
3. Many of the outriggers are rusted through on the bottoms
4. The stair mounts/outriggers have fallen off at the welds
5. 2nd cross member is completely rusted through and useless
6. first cross member bottom part of C has holes rusted through it.
7. general rust is all over.

so my plan is to fabricate some new outriggers and replace the shot cross member with C channel of the same profile.

I could use some advice on what to do about the main frame rails straightening and reinforcing.
dkrukosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
On your main frame rail I had the same sag. My farther in law brought his frame bender over. Just a piece of I beam to chain the frame to by the axels, and jack up the rear with a bottle jack one side at a time. we jacked the frame way past level to get it level, because of spring back.

Once we got it straight I had some 3/16 6" flat bar bent into a "L" shape to weld inside the frame. This way it had a round conner not a sharp one like angle iron dose. It fit in the frame better.

THe top part of the "L" was 1/4 wider than the top of the "C" channel on the frame so it stuck out and made it easier to weld. bottom I welded to the inside side of the frame. I put it in from the middle of the axels going 8' back in 4' sections. Once I had this in the frame didn't flex one bit.

You can see what I did here at the bottom of page 2 post #27 It's simple and gets the job done. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f174...a-90934-2.html

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
On your main frame rail I had the same sag. My farther in law brought his frame bender over. Just a piece of I beam to chain the frame to by the axels, and jack up the rear with a bottle jack one side at a time. we jacked the frame way past level to get it level, because of spring back.

Once we got it straight I had some 3/16 6" flat bar bent into a "L" shape to weld inside the frame. This way it had a round conner not a sharp one like angle iron dose. It fit in the frame better.

THe top part of the "L" was 1/4 wider than the top of the "C" channel on the frame so it stuck out and made it easier to weld. bottom I welded to the inside side of the frame. I put it in from the middle of the axels going 8' back in 4' sections. Once I had this in the frame didn't flex one bit.

You can see what I did here at the bottom of page 2 post #27 It's simple and gets the job done. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f174...a-90934-2.html
so did you remove your cross members then re attach?
Old 06-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrukosky View Post

1975 Airstream overlander restoration

I was having trouble finding a frame specific repair thread so thought I would start one.
frame and its issues:

1. The frame buckles and sags from just behind the rear axle.
2. on the toilet side the bottom of the main C channel has some rusted through holes.
3. Many of the outriggers are rusted through on the bottoms
4. The stair mounts/outriggers have fallen off at the welds
5. 2nd cross member is completely rusted through and useless
6. first cross member bottom part of C has holes rusted through it.
7. general rust is all over.

so my plan is to fabricate some new outriggers and replace the shot cross member with C channel of the same profile.

I could use some advice on what to do about the main frame rails straightening and reinforcing.
You can buy outriggers from Out of Doors Mart. Not so sure about the cross members. There are also stiffening/repair plates that can be bolted on across the main C channels in the axle areas. From the sounds of it, you might be better off just building up a whole new frame.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The outriggers can be purchased for Out of Doors Mart
Airstream frame parts : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
I had the same issues. Took out a lot of bad steel.
I used L and flat steel and sistered it onto the existing C.

Pictures of frame repair are in this thread. If you have any questions about any of them just ask:-) http://www.airforums.com/forums/f421...ybe-85368.html
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
so did you remove your cross members then re attach?
Nope, I notched around them leaving the flat top of the "L" in. they were 4 feet long. Some of the cross members are lower than the others so I had those in the middle of the 4' sections, with the notch in them. Didn't seem to affect the strength once it was welded up.

I now have the shell on and when I walk to the back of the trailer there is no bounce or sag and I weigh 205. Even if I bounce up and down.

Like I said it was a quick easy fix with no changes to the frame, or taking pieces out and putting them back in. And it worked great.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 06-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Pierre , South Dakota
Dk,
I'm on the middle of a new frame build. From the sounds of your frame mine was in about the same shape. After pricing the pieces "one center section is like 80.00 plus shipping" I decided to use available steel from a steel distributor,And make own pieces and weld together.
I used tubing 2x5x .120 wall thickness for the main beams,also the same material for the cross members and I made 20 outriggers out of the same material today. I cut the cross members 57 9/16", with the 2" beams I have the same outside width as the old frame. I will reuse the original A frame.
IMO there was just to much rust, too much metal missing to try and patch my old frame.
My fear was being 1000 miles from home base, hit a pot hole, rr track, etc, and the old frame break again right past the axles.So this way I KNOW the condition of my frame and I know it will out last me,(the old frame lasted 37 years).
I will have roughly 750.00 to 1000.00 in the frame, 2x5 rect.tube, welded,POR-15, ready to lay the plywood on.
Good Luck,
Jack
195Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:50 AM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Nope, I notched around them leaving the flat top of the "L" in. they were 4 feet long. Some of the cross members are lower than the others so I had those in the middle of the 4' sections, with the notch in them. Didn't seem to affect the strength once it was welded up.

I now have the shell on and when I walk to the back of the trailer there is no bounce or sag and I weigh 205. Even if I bounce up and down.

Like I said it was a quick easy fix with no changes to the frame, or taking pieces out and putting them back in. And it worked great.
Those are the ones where the backing plate on the plywood joints went.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 06-28-2012, 05:56 AM   #10
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Those are the ones where the backing plate on the plywood joints went.

Aaron
slight hijack: are those joint cleats glued to the floor? (assuming that they are). I'm about ready to pull the floor from mine, and I'll need to separate the sheet that is being replaced from the next one up that isn't being replaced; wondering how to get the cleat out without damaging the floor.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
On my '73 when I separated the back-sheet for replacement I used a thin metal-cutoff wheel to slice the corrugated joiner plates in half at the sheet seam. Gives a satisfying cloud of blue fir-aroma smoke and a nice shower of sparks.

The Phillips countersunk screw heads got cleaned out with a pick and air-blasted to get the grit out, then started with a 1/2" ratchet wrench with a heavy Phillips bit chucked in it. Once started and above the floor level a power drill with bit ran them out just fine whether or not they had been 'bent' over at the factory.

The cleats were 'slightly' glued and with the age of the wood it was pry up the cut-pieces and stomp on the joint to snap them apart easily. When I pulled the entire floor much later nothing was to be reused...
Old 06-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
I made up a paper template of an outrigger. the cut off piece becomes the support.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5g8z7AcYRQ...-02-56_433.jpg
Old 06-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
slight hijack: are those joint cleats glued to the floor? (assuming that they are). I'm about ready to pull the floor from mine, and I'll need to separate the sheet that is being replaced from the next one up that isn't being replaced; wondering how to get the cleat out without damaging the floor.
Maybe...some of mine had the entire glue pot dumped on them, others I think the glue pot might have been in the same room...if they were lucky.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 06-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
You can buy outriggers from Out of Doors Mart. Not so sure about the cross members. There are also stiffening/repair plates that can be bolted on across the main C channels in the axle areas. From the sounds of it, you might be better off just building up a whole new frame.

Aaron
When the frames are rusted bad enough, it is easier to build a new frame. Besides, you can build it heavier so you can put upgraded axles on it and better cross members. For a minimal amount of weight increase in the frame, axles and wheels, you can make a much stronger trailer.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Maybe...some of mine had the entire glue pot dumped on them, others I think the glue pot might have been in the same room...if they were lucky.

Aaron
yeah, turned out to be a piece of cake. very little glue. just a little prying with the wonder-bar.

The forward piece was very easy, because I could stand behind it and lift up from the other end of the sheet. plenty of leverage, and it just peeled away. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ml#post1167919
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Ok took a little break from the airstream to go camping. I am back on the project now. here is my frame repair plan.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1QjH-0pIKQ...frame+plan.jpg

the bottom of the main C channel from the wheels back it badly rusted (I think due to water laying in the belly pan). so I am going to remove the lower part of the C and box in with a new L shape piece. I plan to do this from in front of the wheels back to bumper. I am also thinking of adding some reinforcement inside the new box at the jacking points as this seems to be where the frame buckled. Any thoughts?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:49 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Also her is a picture of the first of my new outriggers made by my awesome neighbor.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dzx_JAJVys...8-31-56_58.jpg
Old 07-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
If you box it in there will be no need for any thing else to be added. It will be very stiff with just the box.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 07-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
first of many frame repairs

here is the first of my many frame repairs I cut away the rusted through part of the original C channel and welded angle iron back in its place. My welds are not pretty but hey they are my first go at stick welding. I still have some more welds to complete this section and I am still waiting on my replacement out riggers so they will be cut away and replaced.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dK6vCEgeFB...-08-14_851.jpg
Old 07-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
here is the first of my many frame repairs I cut away the rusted through part of the original C channel and welded angle iron back in its place. My welds are not pretty but hey they are my first go at stick welding. I still have some more welds to complete this section and I am still waiting on my replacement out riggers so they will be cut away and replaced.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dK6vCEgeFB...-08-14_851.jpg
I'm looking at the picture and it appears that the frame is off the trailer. Is that correct?
Was the original frame made out of 4" "C" channel?
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote