Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Frame reinforcement - 1973 O'lander

I have been making templates for steel reinforcement plates. I want to make sure there are no mistakes on the measurements. As I was making templates out of card board it gave me the opportunity to reevaluate my frame. I only have one poor area on the frame which is located below where the toilet was. The rest of the frame and stringers look great. No rust except some small areas. I have wire brushed and por-15 the rails several weeks ago. I am ready to weld and my friend is ready to do the welding for me. My back end of my trailer is very straight and I want the forum members to give me their opinion on the need for reinforcment plates going from the wheels to the back. Steel can get really expensive and I am on a very tight budget. I will do it if the odds of rear end seperation are great.

SIU Bound

Brian
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIU Bound
I have been making templates for steel reinforcement plates. I want to make sure there are no mistakes on the measurements. As I was making templates out of card board it gave me the opportunity to reevaluate my frame. I only have one poor area on the frame which is located below where the toilet was. The rest of the frame and stringers look great. No rust except some small areas. I have wire brushed and por-15 the rails several weeks ago. I am ready to weld and my friend is ready to do the welding for me. My back end of my trailer is very straight and I want the forum members to give me their opinion on the need for reinforcment plates going from the wheels to the back. Steel can get really expensive and I am on a very tight budget. I will do it if the odds of rear end seperation are great.

SIU Bound

Brian
Brian.

Reinforcing the frame as you suggest will accomplish nothing more than adding weight to the trailer.

Further, reinforcing the frame as you suggest will do absolutely nothing for rear end separation prevention.

If you want a detailed suggestion of what you can do, call me Monday after 10 am California time.

The hows and whats, that you can do, are too lengthy to post here, and in part depends on the tools you have.

800-8777311

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Andy:

Thank you for your knowledge. I will call you after 10:00 A.M. your time. I really do think this trailer never saw much time on the road. It was turned into a permanent residence because it was converted over to only outside water. They cut all the lines to the water tank. The tires on it look like they are new except they are completely dry rotted. I think this trailer was parked with water leaking in one area. That is why I have damage to only one area of the frame. The water and sewage leaked on that localized area and oxidation on the rail is so bad there is not much steel left. There are holes all the way through the steel. I will have to fix that spot. I had my friend who teaches welding and certifies welders look at the area and he also said it needs to be fixed, but that is the only spot we are talking about. I am looking at 24" of repair on the rail. I have pulled the banana rap from the wheels back and everything else looks great. It is taking me longer then I anticipated to fix this trailer but I have decided one big major expense per 6 weeks.

SIU Bound

Brian
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote