Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2010, 11:24 PM   #161
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
1977 31' Excella 500
1966 26' Overlander
Shelton , Washington
I just finished sending a PM to every '03 22' owner on the members list, asking if they were having frame problems. Suggesting they check the forum. Maybe we'll hear from a few and bolster our numbers. Airstray
Airstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:20 AM   #162
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Nhtsa

ATTENTION
EVERYBODY HERE GO TO THIS SITE AND FILL OUT A COMPLAINT FORM.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
dongubrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:47 AM   #163
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Send a message via MSN to JulianneJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstray View Post
The dealer where I purchased my CCD said it would cost $3000.00 to repair the frame. They are trying to work with us and offered to split the cost but that's money we shouldn't have to shell out. Airstream should take responsible. The WA. Attorney General says an 'implied warranty" does not pertain to "non motorized" vehicles but I'm still researching the subject. I've contacted a few attorneys but was told "we don't handle such cases". I don't know what category our problem falls under, legal wise. Any help appreciated.

Curious, did you by chance buy your A/S at Great American RV in Fife? That's where I bought mine. Thanks for including me in this thread via PM. I was totally clueless to this issue. I have not noticed any problems with my trailer.

2003 International CCD
JulianneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #164
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianneJ View Post
Curious, did you by chance buy your A/S at Great American RV in Fife? That's where I bought mine. Thanks for including me in this thread via PM. I was totally clueless to this issue. I have not noticed any problems with my trailer.
I have had a lot of experience with this frame failure issue. Spend the money on ''fixes'' if you want to. None that I know of will give you the confidence and security you should have in an Airstream. The solution is a new frame that they are now putting on the newer ones. And plse go that NHTSA site I posted.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #165
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
1966 26' Overlander
Shelton , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianneJ View Post
Julianne, I purchased mine, used, Sept. 2010 at Sundance RV near Shelton, WA. Have someone check the outriggers where they attach to the frame, especially near the step and behind the rear axle. You have to look close. Read all the complaints at, "frame problems" on the forum. Good luck. Jim
Airstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #166
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
What years were this "problem frame" used?

I have a 2006 22'CCD and I have not noticed any problems with my frame.
I have not looked close or really studied the frame. Our trailer is in storage for the winter and it will probably be months before I get the chance to look it over.

Im curious and concerned

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:57 AM   #167
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Here is the extent of their admission of this issue. These was a 22' CCD only 4 serial numbers less than mine (made the same week, same configuration, same interior colors, same sub-floor design, same same same, NOT apples to oranges) in the parking lot post repairs to the floor and the addition of the outrigger braces. They would not even compare my trailer to that one - THE EXACT SAME REPAIR JOB AND ISSUE. They argued but gave in to my request to have the outriggers beefed up and said that there was no issue with this model. There are no structural issues with the frame - even though they have a kit to give you free if you ask, YOU pay for the welding. There are no issues with the beltline leak - even though the frame may sag in the back and break all the sealant on the trim, which they have a kit to make the outriggers stiffer.

So, go ahead, fight the issue, you are still stuck with a defective product.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #168
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
Here is the extent of their admission of this issue. These was a 22' CCD only 4 serial numbers less than mine (made the same week, same configuration, same interior colors, same sub-floor design, same same same, NOT apples to oranges) in the parking lot post repairs to the floor and the addition of the outrigger braces. They would not even compare my trailer to that one - THE EXACT SAME REPAIR JOB AND ISSUE. They argued but gave in to my request to have the outriggers beefed up and said that there was no issue with this model. There are no structural issues with the frame - even though they have a kit to give you free if you ask, YOU pay for the welding. There are no issues with the beltline leak - even though the frame may sag in the back and break all the sealant on the trim, which they have a kit to make the outriggers stiffer.

So, go ahead, fight the issue, you are still stuck with a defective product.
Amend to that Mr Clancy_Boy.
I have been dealing with them now since 2005. They have fixed this and that for me. some I paid for, some they paid for. I now have a frame with welded patches, welded add-on's and rust all over because the frame was not sealed with oil based paint. Out of pocket money for me is well over $3000. And I still have a defective frame. I think those who bought this model after 2004 or 2005 have a great product.
Did you file your compaint with the NHTSA ?
Old 11-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #169
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Send a message via MSN to JulianneJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstray View Post
Julianne, I purchased mine, used, Sept. 2010 at Sundance RV near Shelton, WA. Have someone check the outriggers where they attach to the frame, especially near the step and behind the rear axle. You have to look close. Read all the complaints at, "frame problems" on the forum. Good luck. Jim
Thank you, I wil do that.

2003 International CCD
JulianneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:07 AM   #170
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS View Post
What years were this "problem frame" used?

I have a 2006 22'CCD and I have not noticed any problems with my frame.
I have not looked close or really studied the frame. Our trailer is in storage for the winter and it will probably be months before I get the chance to look it over.

Im curious and concerned
You are probably okay BradS. The problems where with the first manufactured ones in 2003. Lucky you.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #171
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
ATTENTION OWNERS OF 2003 22' CCD rv's
If you have any frame problems contact the National Highway Safety Administration at this site; https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Fill out there on line complaint form. They will contact you back. Many of us already have and they want to help solve our problem.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #172
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON GUBRUD View Post
Amend to that Mr Clancy_Boy.
I have been dealing with them now since 2005. They have fixed this and that for me. some I paid for, some they paid for. I now have a frame with welded patches, welded add-on's and rust all over because the frame was not sealed with oil based paint. Out of pocket money for me is well over $3000. And I still have a defective frame. I think those who bought this model after 2004 or 2005 have a great product.
Did you file your compaint with the NHTSA ?
Don,

If I have a 2004, manufactured in August 2003, do I have a potential problem?
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #173
steel/aluminum fabricator

Penticton , British Columbia
I submitted my frame crack issue to airstream and Jim called me back but i did not talk to him. We are presently playing phone tag but hopefully i will talk to him tomorrow to see whats what. He knows that i know that they know about the frame issues. Whether they will man up or not remains to be seen.
Jim did call me back on 2 occasions so that is a good thing.
rseagle my 04 has small cracks. What are the last 6 digits of your vin?
zedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:56 AM   #174
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex View Post
I submitted my frame crack issue to airstream and Jim called me back but i did not talk to him. We are presently playing phone tag but hopefully i will talk to him tomorrow to see whats what. He knows that i know that they know about the frame issues. Whether they will man up or not remains to be seen.
Jim did call me back on 2 occasions so that is a good thing.
rseagle my 04 has small cracks. What are the last 6 digits of your vin?
My last 6 digits are: .......515186
Old 11-23-2010, 07:04 AM   #175
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle View Post
Don,

If I have a 2004, manufactured in August 2003, do I have a potential problem?
I really couldn't say for sure. All I know is the first of the 2003 built had the weak frame. I doubt if we can ever get the vin number series from the factory that would link yours to that batch. Check the outriggers under the steps and see if they extend all the way down to the bottom of the frame. If they only go down 3/4 the way you definitely have one of the bad frames.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #176
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Don,
FYI... I have a 2002 22' CCD. That is the first year of manufacture. My frame cracked behind both rear axles as well as near one outrigger near the step.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:01 AM   #177
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrownrr View Post
Don,
FYI... I have a 2002 22' CCD. That is the first year of manufacture. My frame cracked behind both rear axles as well as near one outrigger near the step.
Mine is a 2003 and it had a total frame collapse. It may be that both 2002 and 2003 have the bad frames.

Did you report this to NHTSA? The DOT needs to hear from all of us.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #178
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
just makes me sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON GUBRUD View Post
Mine is a 2003 and it had a total frame collapse. It may be that both 2002 and 2003 have the bad frames.

Did you report this to NHTSA? The DOT needs to hear from all of us.
I had the 2005 which I sold to another member here. I'm very glad to hear that the frame is better on the later ones. This was one of the best layouts A/S ever made, big enough for long trips but small enough to use a "normal" gas station or park in a public place. Sometimes I'd really like to have my old one back. (but I fulltime and the 22 got awfully small).

I'd bet the OSB floor also contributed to the frame failure - no structural strength. Any stress on one part of the frame couldn't be diffused by multiple layers of PLYwood. And any moisture will delaminate OSB like nobody's business. There's another active thread about a floor replacement on a 5 year old Bambi with an OSB floor that has turned into shredded wheat.

Looks like I've got yet another leak around my dinette that could be affecting the floor near the rear bumper. Know what I'm doing over the weekend!

One of my clients is a commercial landlord who has many mixed use buildings (including garages with 14 foot doors). He'll give me a month to month lease for cheap since the vacancy rate is so high. So... I ask myself... do I have the time, skills, energy to do a preventive "frame off nyloboard floor replacement?" ....or do I call P & S and spend the bucks?

Airstream is surviving this recession - but if they did floor replacements on all of the OSB units and frame replacement on the 22's - would they continue to survive? And more to the point - will people like me ever buy another one if they don't step up to the plate? Well I love the look and the closet space of the 27 FB but I can give my whole wardrobe to the Salvation Army and replace it semi-annually for a lot less than buying another A/S. I'll put a decent amount of money into redoing/upgrading my 2005 LONG before I buy another one.

Paula
Old 11-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #179
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Question What about the non-CCD 22' models

I may have asked before, but can't search out my post or answer, so here goes again:

Does anyone know about frame problems on the International AS models? I have one and think my frame is still okay. Is the CCD frame any different than that on the AS? I thought they would be the same frame. If the frames are the same on the two models, why don't we hear of complaints from other International AS customers?

And, why is the frame problem always on the curb side of the CCD?

Fortunately, I don't see any problems on my frame, but I do wonder with all the discussion going on.
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #180
steel/aluminum fabricator

Penticton , British Columbia
Well. I talked to Jim today at AS. He is sending me a kit to beef up my outriggers on my 04. I will put em in when its not -17C outside.
zedex is offline   Reply With Quote