Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #121
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
1977 31' Excella 500
1966 26' Overlander
Shelton , Washington
Well I got word today that the RV dealer where I purchased my AS was told by their welder " I won't attempt it". The next guy says he wants $3000.00 to repair it and the dealer has offered to split the cost. They also offered to take it back and let us choose SOB. We haven't made a firm decision yet. The story continues!!!!!!!!!!!!! Airstray
Airstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #122
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Airstray
I think I told you a while back that the factory will not ''make it right''. A few unhappy customers is better than the cost of replacing the defective frames with the new stronger ones they use now. A business decision. I think the factory will give you the patch kits for free but will not pay to install them. Trade yours in, or patch up what you have...? If the factory offered me a trade I would trade this for a 19' CCD. Fat chance.
We just bought a ''lemon'' that's all.
I love this rv from the floor up, hate it from the floor down.
Oh, one piece of advice. The welding of my replacement outriggers was done by a dealer and was a disaster. Make sure your welder is trained, schooled and certified. And be there while the work is being done.
Good luck my friend.
dongubrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:04 AM   #123
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
How many does it take for a class action? How many other trailers are out there with frame cracks. Toyota bought back all the pickups with a frame problem at some % over book. Would seem a good idea for Airstream.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #124
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
In my opinion this is more than disasified customers... this is a safety issue too.
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #125
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Wow! That is really dissapiointing! I have been through the frame on my 1965 and for 45 years of wear, she still looks pretty good. Good luck
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #126
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
From time to time the suggestions of a "class action" has come up regarding this issue. I'm curious, has anyone yet talked to a lawyer about this? If so, what response did you get? Just wondering.....
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #127
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
I have no idea how many of these early CCD's got out of the factory befor they beefed up the frame. There would be no way for us to find out. Class action might be a way to go but there has to be someone out there to hire a lawer and get it started. I suspect that we few that are talking about this on this forum only represents a very few of the desatified owners out there. I would not have any idea how to get ahold of them. Maybe a lawer could.
Keep in mind that all of the patches and ''fixes'' we do to these frames does not solve the problem. It is still a bad frame.
One time mine broke so bad that the rv was untowable. With the various patches I can tow it but I crawl under and check for new cracks every few hundred miles. Not a good way to go.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #128
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you want some idea of how far this problem goes ask those that have posted to post their serial numbers. The lowest and highest number will give you some idea.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #129
1 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Send a message via AIM to jimelmoreiii
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
If you want some idea of how far this problem goes ask those that have posted to post their serial numbers. The lowest and highest number will give you some idea.
Just purchased a 2004 22' International CCD and have read this thread with great interest. This trailer has only a few hundred miles on it, was used only one time and had been stored inside since new. Don't see any evidence of frame or outrigger issues but I'm keeping an eye on it, of course. No sign of stiffeners being installed. I'm thinking I should be proactive and have something done before there is any failure.

Serial number 516095, manufactured November 2003.
jimelmoreiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #130
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimelmoreiii View Post
Just purchased a 2004 22' International CCD and have read this thread with great interest. This trailer has only a few hundred miles on it, was used only one time and had been stored inside since new. Don't see any evidence of frame or outrigger issues but I'm keeping an eye on it, of course. No sign of stiffeners being installed. I'm thinking I should be proactive and have something done before there is any failure.

Serial number 516095, manufactured November 2003.
Typically, when torsion axles have not been used for an extended period of time, the rubber rods in them can deteriorate.

You can check that out yourself by reading the axle article that's located in the Airstream Articles portion of this Forums.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #131
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Typically, when torsion axles have not been used for an extended period of time, the rubber rods in them can deteriorate.

You can check that out yourself by reading the axle article that's located in the Airstream Articles portion of this Forums.

Andy
Why not just pile it on the guy. I'll bring the shovels!
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #132
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
I'm not sure that I understand your question?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #133
steel/aluminum fabricator

Penticton , British Columbia
515968. I do have cracks but they are small. I will weld in my own stiffeners when it slows down at work. Cracks are always on the curb side at the bottom of each outrigger. Very hard to see.
zedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #134
1 Rivet Member

Tulsa , Oklahoma
Send a message via AIM to jimelmoreiii
Quote:
That's funny! Load me up. (Andy, I appreciate the advice.)
jimelmoreiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:31 AM   #135
Maineyak

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Kennebunkport , Maine
Mine; last six of VIN is 514589 w/a DOM (date of manufacture) 12/13/01.
The curbside: droops o/a 4 inches; frame behind the rear axle is broken, completely severed; the rear and under the stairs outriggers are cracked and, of course sag; the floor, close to the wall has buckled upwards about 2 inches.

The streetside: the frame behind the rear axle has flexed and buckled and is beginning to crack and drooping; the rear wet shower/head has separated at the horizontal seam above the sink.

I have an X-ray rated welder, who welds and fabricates trailers as a business, who has agreed to correct this meagerly constructed trailer.

No matter how successful the fix will be, I don't believe I will ever be comfortable pulling this trailer in the future.

I saved for years to buy this unit for our retirement days--first trip we take after my retirement and the unit falls apart.

Shame on you Airstream for not making these deficient trailers whole.

Once there is strength in numbers, owners with problems coming forth with their serial numbers, I'll bet it would more cost effective for Airstream to voluntarily make all the owners whole rather than pay the consequences of a class action and all the very bad publicity that follows suit.

Carl

2002 22' CCD
frechettec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #136
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Andy
That is a good way to go. Do not put more than a few hundred miles on it, keep it in an climate controlled environment and you will have no problems.
Anybody that is seeing any sagging, any cracks below any of the outriggers, check the frame just behind the axle, it will have bends or cracks in it there.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #137
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex View Post
515968. I do have cracks but they are small. I will weld in my own stiffeners when it slows down at work. Cracks are always on the curb side at the bottom of each outrigger. Very hard to see.
If you have any horizontal cracks below the outriggers, you then have a bent frame aft of the axle. you cannot correct it by just welding up the cracks.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #138
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by frechettec View Post
Mine; last six of VIN is 514589 w/a DOM (date of manufacture) 12/13/01.
The curbside: droops o/a 4 inches; frame behind the rear axle is broken, completely severed; the rear and under the stairs outriggers are cracked and, of course sag; the floor, close to the wall has buckled upwards about 2 inches.

The streetside: the frame behind the rear axle has flexed and buckled and is beginning to crack and drooping; the rear wet shower/head has separated at the horizontal seam above the sink.

I have an X-ray rated welder, who welds and fabricates trailers as a business, who has agreed to correct this meagerly constructed trailer.

No matter how successful the fix will be, I don't believe I will ever be comfortable pulling this trailer in the future.

You and I , and many others are in the same boat. I spent big money to get the very best. Sadly it did not work out that way.
It is possible that that the ''statue of limitations'' will protect Airstream from any law suit.

I saved for years to buy this unit for our retirement days--first trip we take after my retirement and the unit falls apart.

Shame on you Airstream for not making these deficient trailers whole.

Once there is strength in numbers, owners with problems coming forth with their serial numbers, I'll bet it would more cost effective for Airstream to voluntarily make all the owners whole rather than pay the consequences of a class action and all the very bad publicity that follows suit.

Carl

2002 22' CCD
You and I , and many others are in the same boat. I spent big money to get the very best. Sadly it did not work out that way.
It is possible that that the ''statue of limitations'' will protect Airstream from any law suit.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #139
steel/aluminum fabricator

Penticton , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON GUBRUD View Post
If you have any horizontal cracks below the outriggers, you then have a bent frame aft of the axle. you cannot correct it by just welding up the cracks.
I will fab and weld in my own stiffeners. What i think is happening is the outriggers are creating undo stress cracks on the frame. Thats why the cracks are running horizontal. The stress cracks weaken the frame where it should flex normally. If you fab plates that distribute the stresses on the frame ,the frame will flex like it should but not crack. I will use my rig as an experiment. Its all i can do really as i doubt very much Airstream will accomodate me being from Canada.
Stress cracks are not a rare thing in frames. Alot of trailers have stress cracks.
In fact a 30 ft arctic fox came into my shop. My business partner had to rescue it from the side of the road.These folks were just leaving on a trip when this happened. One of the rear axles broke away from the frame and rotated and bound up into the other axle.The axle had to be strapped with tie downs to be towed to the shop.
What had happened is the rear axle spring hanger was welded across the bottom web of the frame. That weld created a weakness in the frame and the axle hanger actually tore the bottom of the frame off right at the welds. In the welding business you see all sorts of things that most people have no idea about.
Obviously there are a **** load of airsteams out there that have frame cracks. How does one communicate with these people that have no idea what is going on under their feet? No idea. Sure as hell Airstream will not divulge this info.
Colin
zedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #140
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
OK
Attached Images

Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote