Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2011, 05:43 AM   #221
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie Count View Post
WOW...I so much want to buy an Airstream..it's all I talk about with my friends..but this thread REALLY scares me....this one along with the floor rot issues on 2005 and newer units...How much floorspace is there that they can't use marine grade or better plywood or SOMETHING that does not rot?????

And this frame thing is scary..I wanted to buy a gently used but now I think the one thing I REALLY need is a NEW flashlight.

Why do all you current owners of units with these problems seem to be so accepting?

Interior appointments are nice but geez if the the frame is failing after 1000 miles and the floor is rotting after three years.....how is this any better than a throw away SOB?
I live in an Airstream only community,NTAC. There are a lot of Airstreams here, nothing but Airstreams. People who don't travel much do not have any problems. My neighbor puts maybe 100 miles a year on his and just loves his trailer. Others use theirs a lot and have lot of problems, just like those RV'ers who own other brands. An RV is a high maintenance vehicle.
Don
dongubrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #222
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON GUBRUD View Post
I live in an Airstream only community,NTAC. There are a lot of Airstreams here, nothing but Airstreams. People who don't travel much do not have any problems. My neighbor puts maybe 100 miles a year on his and just loves his trailer. Others use theirs a lot and have lot of problems, just like those RV'ers who own other brands. An RV is a high maintenance vehicle.
Don
You can have problems even if you never move the trailer. I'm fixing a 2002 CCD now that has the frame split where the step outriggers meet the frame. The flexing from useing the step has split the frame.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:10 AM   #223
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
You can have problems even if you never move the trailer. I'm fixing a 2002 CCD now that has the frame split where the step outriggers meet the frame. The flexing from useing the step has split the frame.
I have some potentially bad news for you Mr Shacksman. Your frame is cracked behind the axle! The frame is now bent and putting a strain on the outriggers and that in turn cuts into the frame [at the outrigger points] and those are the cracks you see. Sorry but your in trouble my friend. The factory might help you some but don't count on it. Find a good welding shop and be prepared to spend some big money.
Don
Old 08-15-2011, 06:25 AM   #224
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Having just built a new frame from scratch ($1600 in pre cut material) I am surprised that no one is offering an aftermarket frame as a direct replacement
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:30 AM   #225
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Send a message via MSN to JulianneJ
Document the problem with pictures and contact Airstream. They did help me by sending the reinforcement kit and paying for some of the labor. I stood my ground, didn't take it to one of their "recommended" shops and took it to someone I trusted with my frame.

Airstream f'd up this model without a doubt but serious fear mongering is just getting old in my opinion.

I just spent a month rolling threw Colorado in my trailer and she's doing just fine with her reinforced frame.

2003 International CCD
JulianneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:00 AM   #226
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
I have some potentially bad news for you Mr Shacksman. Your frame is cracked behind the axle! The frame is now bent and putting a strain on the outriggers and that in turn cuts into the frame [at the outrigger points] and those are the cracks you see. Sorry but your in trouble my friend. The factory might help you some but don't count on it. Find a good welding shop and be prepared to spend some big money.
Don
I already found the cracks and bends behind the axle and reinforced the frame with my own kit. Since the floor is totally rotten and removed it is easyier to find and fix all the problems that Airstream built into this model.
Not interested in any help from the factory as those so called engineers that send the fix are the ones responsible for the problem, so they don't have a clue as to the proper repair.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:24 AM   #227
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
I already found the cracks and bends behind the axle and reinforced the frame with my own kit. Since the floor is totally rotten and removed it is easyier to find and fix all the problems that Airstream built into this model.
Not interested in any help from the factory as those so called engineers that send the fix are the ones responsible for the problem, so they don't have a clue as to the proper repair.
I agree with you on your lack of confidence in their engineering staff. What they did is ''design'' a new model, CCD, and without testing anything sold them to us, we became their ''field testers and quality testers''. BTW all of your outriggers have to be sistered with larger ones that extend down to the bottom of the frame. They have a kit for that.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #228
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianneJ View Post
Document the problem with pictures and contact Airstream. They did help me by sending the reinforcement kit and paying for some of the labor. I stood my ground, didn't take it to one of their "recommended" shops and took it to someone I trusted with my frame.

Airstream f'd up this model without a doubt but serious fear mongering is just getting old in my opinion.

I just spent a month rolling threw Colorado in my trailer and she's doing just fine with her reinforced frame.
I am glad you are rolling with confidance.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #229
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
They have a kit for that.
And will gladly hand it to you - note your serial number - and tell you to move along and get your own tech to weld it on.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #230
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Soooo... got my 2006 22' CCD International after a couple of minor repairs... the bathroom faucet was replaced ($300 part and $400 labour!) and one of the levelling jacks was replaced... at the sellers cost. At my cost was a frame inspection, which they reported to be 'AOK'.

After doing some cleaning and exploring, I note that several rivets in the CS overhead cabinet have popped... maybe 12 or so... so I go about my Airstreamer-duty and start drilling and replacing. Then, I get down a bit lower and see that the dinette seats have detached, and either the seats have moved UP 1/8 inch, or the CS side outriggers have sagged 1/8 inch. Sigh... so, not horrible, but is this a sign of things to come?

I don't think the dealer removed any belly pans from what I can see, so I don't know how they could have examined the frame fully as I asked (and as they charged me 2 hours labour for).

On a happier note, everything else about the trailer is spiffy. Everything is working (so far) and there was some divine intervention that it made it hear safely... One of the WD angle supports fell off, so one bar just dangled there for who knows how long (I had a hauler pick it up and bring it to Canada). And... there was no cotter pin in the spare tire holder. So... how on earth it made it without the carrier dropping and who knows what breaking... I don't know.

I know this is a bit off topic - but for those with a similar model... my CD changer wasn't working (and I didn't want it anyway) so I took it out... to remove the wiring I pulled the cabinet end cover... WOW! there was about 100 feet of wires back there. What a complicated set up for a stereo... there are 2 sets of stereo RCA cables running into the wall... and 1 set of A/V RCA cables running into the wall... can't figure out where they come out though... not anywhere near the TV...

Oh well - the fun of buying a used RV!
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #231
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Does this apply just to the rear kitchen model, or to all of the 22's? And how many year models - anyone know?

I sold my 2005 CCD - with the front bed, side kitchen and wet bath in the rear corner to another member in Canada. I'd hate to think I unknowingly sold a lemon.

I think I heard something about the frame having been beefed up in 2004-2005.

Paula

Ha ha ha Paula - would you like some vodka with that lemon cause I right now could sure use a bottle....- hey how they heck would you know anyway. And I thought I read everything I could about these trailers...check out the date baby - all this surfaced after I put the miles on her....and I have since put maybe 20K since. All black top mind you and no 4x4 off roading in the back woods with the McKennzie Brothers either.

And here I thought I would be getting away with all the "vintage" repair nightmares - ug ug - should have known though - my last trip the entire unit was completely loose and now it does not sit level on the floor - the linoleum has gone completely a whack too - so it has to be all the outriggers for sure - how the heck does one know this when it is all stuck behind things you can't see.

I just posted here - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ml#post1175565

with my SHOCKING DISCOVERY.

No temp fixes here - I will have this to the Factory if I have to flat bed her there and I will accept nothing short of a new frame. This is my life I am talking about here - towing this down the road and not sending people any information on this issue that they are completely and fully aware of.

Why heavens there is more hubahoo about fridge recalls. I can only imagine what would have happened if the entire frame broke as I tootled down the interstate at 55mph

Okay pass me that lemon I need another drink - make it stiffer....

Paula sweets - never ever hard feelings on selling stuff used. This is beyond used issues my dear.
To boot it was at the Factory in 08 remember and not a breath of air about the frame issue and I bet they did not even think to check it out while it was there - ya think?
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #232
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Sharon. Good luck on this one; Airstream should have replaced all of the frames on all of the 22'ers made. I believe your frame is a 4" and Airstream should make and replace these with a 5" frame. On all of the late model Airstreams from 16' to 34', this is the only model with this problem. [22' models]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:26 AM   #233
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Sharon. Good luck on this one; Airstream should have replaced all of the frames on all of the 22'ers made. I believe your frame is a 4" and Airstream should make and replace these with a 5" frame. On all of the late model Airstreams from 16' to 34', this is the only model with this problem. [22' models]
My frame on my 2003 completely broke and they put a new frame on. IT ALSO BROKE !!!!!!!! I had to have a welder rebuild that frame. big $$$ but so far so good.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #234
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
And the story keeps rolling on...... Believe me when I say, Airstream is aware of this issue, they have a repair solution for this issue so therefore they have had an engineering group look into how to "fix" it since 2005. This tells me that they are deliberately keeping it quiet from the owners hoping they will just fall away over time and they can save the bucks. It's the bean counters that advise this method not the public relations people. SAD.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #235
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I found all of this on the internet and wonder if the axel problem may have caused all of your problems. Especially after reading this guys discription of pre axel replacement issues. Does any of this sound an alarm?

http://home.hiwaay.net/~tomorkim/NewAxles.htm

http://forum.vintage-airstream.com/axles-shocks/616-gkn-henschen.html

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ACM4200540/RCDNN-04V506-8894.PDF
ljsigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #236
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Nobody should be having problems with frames. After reading most of this thread, I see that the frame is made out of 4" steel. I am assuming that this is 4" rectangular tubing. Is this true? Having built many equipment trailers since 1975 I can assure you that a properly built frame would not have failed, with or without a WDH. One problem I see is that rectangular tubing looks great, but isn't the best solution for a frame. A structural channel frame is actually better. With the flange being thicker as it goes toward the web, they are extremely strong. With a 22' trailer, I would think that 5" channel would be good and a 6" channel would be preferred. Just think that when the cross members are welded to rectangular tubing, the outriggers are welded to the other side of the tube, not the side with the cross member. A structural channel frame, designed properly, will have cross members at about the same location as the outriggers. It makes for a solid cross member/ outrigger combination and it is very strong.

I just made a trailer for my 1969 Avion C-11 camper and this is what a frame should look like. I used 6" structural channel with 3" structural cross members. This frame is about the same length as a Bambi, and they have a 3" structural channel frame.

Picture putting the bed on it.

Even though this is a single axle trailer, it has a 7,000# rubber torsion axle under it. I can guarantee that it will not break in the life of that trailer under normal usage. Anything can break if abused enough. There are enough complaints about AS to create concern.

My opinion is that the victims of this structural problem are going to the wrong place to complain. I am surprised that nobody went to the NHTSA.
Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
They will deal with dangerous vehicles.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:53 AM   #237
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
Nobody should be having problems with frames. After reading most of this thread, I see that the frame is made out of 4" steel. I am assuming that this is 4" rectangular tubing. Is this true? Having built many equipment trailers since 1975 I can assure you that a properly built frame would not have failed, with or without a WDH. One problem I see is that rectangular tubing looks great, but isn't the best solution for a frame. A structural channel frame is actually better. With the flange being thicker as it goes toward the web, they are extremely strong. With a 22' trailer, I would think that 5" channel would be good and a 6" channel would be preferred. Just think that when the cross members are welded to rectangular tubing, the outriggers are welded to the other side of the tube, not the side with the cross member. A structural channel frame, designed properly, will have cross members at about the same location as the outriggers. It makes for a solid cross member/ outrigger combination and it is very strong.

I just made a trailer for my 1969 Avion C-11 camper and this is what a frame should look like. I used 6" structural channel with 3" structural cross members. This frame is about the same length as a Bambi, and they have a 3" structural channel frame.

Picture putting the bed on it.

Even though this is a single axle trailer, it has a 7,000# rubber torsion axle under it. I can guarantee that it will not break in the life of that trailer under normal usage. Anything can break if abused enough. There are enough complaints about AS to create concern.

My opinion is that the victims of this structural problem are going to the wrong place to complain. I am surprised that nobody went to the NHTSA.
Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
They will deal with dangerous vehicles.
It is to bad you don't work for AS.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #238
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Hello Don, hows the trailer frame holding up ? I had the same problem with the frame of my 05 22 ft Airstream. After much head scratching and deliberation , I undertook a huge frame rebuilding and strengthening on it out in my shop. Used a lot of 2x2 1/4inch wall square tubing among other things and came up with something that" for lack of a better word" I call an inverted compression truss running the entire length of the trailer.
I hope this will completely eliminate the problems that the Airstream engineers so foolishly served up with their flimsy ass sheet metal piece of **** frame . After weeks of crawling around under the trailer and burning through about 15 pounds of rods with my 35 year old cracker box , I think I have recovered enough from all the pains and burns to think about taking some pics of the thing. and posting them on here for all to see and comment on my lack of welding and engineering skills. Hope it works anyhow, plan on heading up to Alaska with it next summer.
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:44 AM   #239
3 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydimitt View Post
Hello Don, hows the trailer frame holding up ? I had the same problem with the frame of my 05 22 ft Airstream. After much head scratching and deliberation , I undertook a huge frame rebuilding and strengthening on it out in my shop. Used a lot of 2x2 1/4inch wall square tubing among other things and came up with something that" for lack of a better word" I call an inverted compression truss running the entire length of the trailer.
I hope this will completely eliminate the problems that the Airstream engineers so foolishly served up with their flimsy ass sheet metal piece of **** frame . After weeks of crawling around under the trailer and burning through about 15 pounds of rods with my 35 year old cracker box , I think I have recovered enough from all the pains and burns to think about taking some pics of the thing. and posting them on here for all to see and comment on my lack of welding and engineering skills. Hope it works anyhow, plan on heading up to Alaska with it next summer.
It sounds like you have patched and fixed the problem, as I have. Mine seems to be okay altho I don't like add-on patches. A whole new properly designed frame would give me much more confidence. BTW I hope you rebuilt all of the outriggers also. Mine all bent a while ago and have been replaced. I will never buy another 22'er. But I'm stuck with this one 'cuz it has little or no resale value.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #240
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
OK , been trying for hours to get some pics loaded of the frame fix.
maybe I should get a seven year old to show me how to accomplish this feet !
what a bummer !
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote