Old 09-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
hillsboro , Texas
Brad,
my outriggers sagged because the frame behind the rear axles cracked and bent down. with the frame now bent the body had to be suported by the outriggers without the help of the rear frame. the outriggers couldn't take the weight so they bent down. the factory has various fixes for this but it is a patch at best. none of the fixes have worked for me. i no longer take my trailer out on the road, it is used as a guest cottage.
DON.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #58
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
You would think that Airstream would have learned its lesson, given the numerous frame sagging issues it had in the 70's! It's not like there isn't anyone from the Beatrice days who doesn't work at Airstream anymore. That is absolutely ridiculous, especially given the cost of a new coach. Personally, I think I would find a way for the trailer to be considered totalled and make the claim on your insurance....surely a cracked frame, preventing safe travel, qualifies.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
And we bash SOB here. this is a really bad problem and I can't believe that AS didn't fix it right.... I still think there frames are way to weak. Mine had/has rear end sag. I replaced the floor and welded up a crack in the frame. I then welded angle iron to the frame from the axles back to help it not go any further... I haven't seen any SOB's on the road with a problem like this...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:59 PM   #60
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Sometime in the near future, I will be performing Airstream's rear-end sag repair. When I retire from the Army in 2.5 years, Brooke, the kids and I are heading back to Idaho. Brooke's father worked for Kit Trailers for over 20 years, making their frames, and is a master welder. I was telling him about the problems that some Airstreams have and he told me that all the Kit Trailers had lifetime warranties on the frames. If ever there was a problem with the frame, they didn't even try to fix it; the trailer received a new frame, no questions asked. The old frame would then get scrapped. He's already told me that, when we get back to Idaho, he'll help me.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:15 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
I certainly hope they take care of it for you. Along with everyone else here, look to hearing, as Paul Harvey would say "the rest of the story"

Good Luck

Al
Old 09-07-2009, 08:43 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Woodland Park , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by excella80 View Post
I am working on restoring a 1980 Excella and am trying to figure out how to repair some sagging out riggers. My sagging out riggers seem to be a result of the main frame beams being torqued over. Are your outriggers actually sagging or is the frame torquing over? Does any one have any other pictures of the repair that the factory did? Are they repairing just the out rigger or are the beefing up the frame so it can not twist over?

Thanks for the Help,
Brad

Brad,

Not sure exactly why my outriggers sagged. Frankly, it may have been the force of my WD bars constantly slamming the trailer downward.

Attached are some photos of the "fix" Airstream implemented (this in addition to the repairs to the frame and the "frame stiffener kit" they installed. The first two are on on the curbside forward of the axles looking toward the rear. The third is the same outrigger but looking at is from the rear. The last is on the roadside, forward of the axle, looking at it fron the rear. As far as whether it has been effective all I can say is the outriggers have not appeared to sag any more than they already were.

Finallhy started traveling with the trailer again, about 1500 miles in the last two months. So far so good (I look under the frame after every trip). Frame seems to be holding up and I am not seeing any of the past indications of rough ride in the interior (busted rivets, items strewn about, etc). jk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outriggers 001.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	461.5 KB
ID:	86756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Outriggers 003.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	86757  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Outriggers 004.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	86758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Outriggers 005.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	315.8 KB
ID:	86759  

Old 09-07-2009, 05:43 PM   #63
1 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Madison , Wisconsin
Thanks for the pictures JK.

Brad
Old 09-28-2009, 06:33 AM   #64
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
While at a rally this part weekend, one of the forum mods came up and asked me if I was aware of this thread. I said no and decided to check it out this morning. I am now concerned with our Safari 22 built in 2004. We have well over 32K on it and never noticed any problems worth writing down as far as the frame. But now that I think of it there have been a fw times once the AS is all set up that the bath door sometimes seems out of alignment with the door fram. I will have to get under the trailer tonight and start looking around. Any special things other than already noted that I should be looking out for?
Rick
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:43 AM   #65
3 Rivet Member

Woodland Park , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi View Post
While at a rally this part weekend, one of the forum mods came up and asked me if I was aware of this thread. I said no and decided to check it out this morning. I am now concerned with our Safari 22 built in 2004. We have well over 32K on it and never noticed any problems worth writing down as far as the frame. But now that I think of it there have been a fw times once the AS is all set up that the bath door sometimes seems out of alignment with the door fram. I will have to get under the trailer tonight and start looking around. Any special things other than already noted that I should be looking out for?
Rick
Because of the belly wrap, it is difficult to see any damage to the frame until that damage extends to to the bottom of the frame rail. This occurred on mine and was obvious as a crack along the bottom of the frame. In my situation the damage occurred directly in front of the axles. I believe Don Gubrud's frame damage occurred directly behind the axles (correct me if I am wrong).

The other telltale signs I had were noted inside the trailer and indicative of a rough ride and too much flex on the frame and trailer. Busted interior rivets (more than a few), screws regularly working themselves out, the dinette benches constantly coming loose from either the floor or the skin, cabinet doors coming open while towing. I also had a number of leaks I had to fix which could be unrelated but may also have been other indications of the shell taking too much stress from the frame flexing. I had to replace both Fantastic fans as the bases of both fans were cracked in numerous places causing leaks. If I had that problem alone I might chaulk it up to a faulty instal but combined with everything else leads me to believe they may be related.

A few others here with 22' Internationals have experienced some of the signs noted above but it has not gone so far as to crack the frame (some have had the frame stiffener plates installed). It appears also that this particular problem is specifically with the 22' International models (I haven't noted anyone with 22' Safaris on the forums with this problem). The older ones like Don Gubrud's with the rear kitchen seem to have too much weight behind the axles. Later models have a redesigned interior with a desk in the rear and supposedly incorporated a frame fix to strengthen it (though not enough). Both of the models have a open floor plan with very little "infrastructure" on the curb side of the trailer. This appears to allow the curb side frame more flex than the roadside and seems to be a contributor as most of my damage occurred on the curb side. That doesn't take away the main issue that the frame is marginally adequate at best to support the weight of the trailer. Add a tow vehicle larger than a station wagon and properly weighted WD bars and....

I am no structural engineer. The opinions above are the results of my experiences along with what I have read about other's experiences here on the forums.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:58 AM   #66
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
hillsboro , Texas
JK
that was a very good and accurate responce. there is not much i can add exept that my first indication of a problem was the curb side of the trailer started to tilt. that was caused by the outriggers bending down because the frame cracked and the brackets could not hold up the body on there own. my problems started at about 50k miles or so. my advice rick... if you don't have any frame problems now, sell it!
Old 09-29-2009, 08:11 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

Woodland Park , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON GUBRUD View Post
JK
that was a very good and accurate responce. there is not much i can add exept that my first indication of a problem was the curb side of the trailer started to tilt. that was caused by the outriggers bending down because the frame cracked and the brackets could not hold up the body on there own. my problems started at about 50k miles or so. my advice rick... if you don't have any frame problems now, sell it!
Good point Don. Forgot about the outriggers. Mine also are drooped down on the curbside. They don't appear to be dropping anymore since the last repair but only time will tell. jk
Old 09-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
1977 31' Excella 500
1966 26' Overlander
Shelton , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Don sent me the photos he has with the note, "I did not take good pics but this is my last frame crack problem. I did not take pics of the first failure, a total frame collapse or my second failure, all of the outriggers bending and cracking the frame."

Here are his photos.

Don, make any comments you'd like to.

Don, I'm having the exact same problem on my '03 22ft. International CCD. I just bought it with no warranty, of course, and noticed the step was not level. I checked the outriggers and discovered they were sagging and had cracked the frame. Did you get any satisfaction from Airstream? What recourse do we have if our trailers are out of warranty? Airstray
Old 09-27-2010, 08:32 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
1966 26' Overlander
Shelton , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Don.

I did not call you back, because I am waiting on some info from Airstream about your trailer.

As soon as I have that, I will call you.

What is the rating of your axles?

Andy
Andy, I have the same problem as Don. Sagging outriggers and cracked frame. I just purchased my '03 22ft. International CCd and pulled it to Utah and back. My TV is a Ram 3500 Diesel but I didn't have any sway problems pulling it without a WD hitch. I took a reese twin cam hitch with me but didn't need it. What recourse do we, ('03-'07, 22ft.) Airstream owners have? Airstray
Old 09-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #70
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstray View Post
Don, I'm having the exact same problem on my '03 22ft. International CCD. I just bought it with no warranty, of course, and noticed the step was not level. I checked the outriggers and discovered they were sagging and had cracked the frame. Did you get any satisfaction from Airstream? What recourse do we have if our trailers are out of warranty? Airstray

Airstream Inc. just installed (April 2010) a frame stiffining kit (their name) to mine when I had the rear floor replaced - their cost on the frame kit. They know it's a problem - they have a kit to repair this specific unit. Calll them and see if they can help.

Mike

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote