Old 04-20-2016, 07:50 AM   #365
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydimitt View Post
I had the pleasure of meeting Don when he stopped by with his trailer a while back . Airstream had already "fixed" it with a new upgraded frame , and it too was failing at the time . We exchanged horror stories about Airstreams lack of engineering skills among other things. Gave him a new rear bumper for his trailer as the one off of mine did not fit into the equation of the inverted truss that I had built into mine to save it from the junk yard . Did ya ever get it switched out Don ?

Our 2005 22 ft had the wet noodle frame when we bought it , but after a couple of months fabricating and welding back in 2012 it's now 150% better than new and has been at least 40,000 miles since then and even with the addition of a rear mounted aluminum box with a 4000 watt Champion permanently attached inside , and a trailer hitch for towing a small two wheel trailer behind , the frame is rock solid still , unlike the day that Airstream completed building it new .
I thank you for that rear bumper Danny. It worked out just fine. So far so good on my frame. However it is a peace of crap with all the welded patches on it. If I were to sell it and disclose the history I doubt if I could find a buyer. I WOULD NOT BUY IT!

Old 04-20-2016, 05:18 PM   #366
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongubrud View Post
I thank you for that rear bumper Danny. It worked out just fine. So far so good on my frame. However it is a peace of crap with all the welded patches on it. If I were to sell it and disclose the history I doubt if I could find a buyer. I WOULD NOT BUY IT!
Darn it Don, I often wish I had another 22 CCD. It's a pity your frame was so crappy... apparently the later ones were a little better... the ones that were repaired seem to have held up since the initial failure. What just makes my blood boil is that they replaced the frame at the factory.... why would they even THINK to do work of that magnitude and not make sure the replacement frame was as strong as possible.

I'm trying to imagine how they even did the work. Did they actually do a full frame off? Take out all of the furniture, pull the vinyl floor, disconnect the inner and outer skins from the floor and walk a new frame and floor under the shell? At factory rates that must have cost about what the build cost on a 22 footer would have been. And while your unit might have been a "flukey" frame - the minute they saw the second or third broken frame they should have stopped building 22's until they got a beefier frame.

I'm looking into NTAC as a possible winter home - and I've got an Eddie Bauer 25, but when we meet I'll show you the 10 meter Avion I also have and let you see that frame - three rails - 8 inches deep!

I'm sure it's too late for any kind of legal action, but darn, it sucks that they didn't at least offer you something - like another "frame, floor and axles" kit.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:44 AM   #367
1 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Darn it Don, I often wish I had another 22 CCD. It's a pity your frame was so crappy... apparently the later ones were a little better... the ones that were repaired seem to have held up since the initial failure. What just makes my blood boil is that they replaced the frame at the factory.... why would they even THINK to do work of that magnitude and not make sure the replacement frame was as strong as possible.

I'm trying to imagine how they even did the work. Did they actually do a full frame off? Take out all of the furniture, pull the vinyl floor, disconnect the inner and outer skins from the floor and walk a new frame and floor under the shell? At factory rates that must have cost about what the build cost on a 22 footer would have been. And while your unit might have been a "flukey" frame - the minute they saw the second or third broken frame they should have stopped building 22's until they got a beefier frame.

I'm looking into NTAC as a possible winter home - and I've got an Eddie Bauer 25, but when we meet I'll show you the 10 meter Avion I also have and let you see that frame - three rails - 8 inches deep!

I'm sure it's too late for any kind of legal action, but darn, it sucks that they didn't at least offer you something - like another "frame, floor and axles" kit.
It would be a pleasure to have you here at NTAC. This is a great cult community. Have you been here? Anytime you want to come I can get you a 2 day/night pass for our Teraport.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:31 PM   #368
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Don...so I take it that I should not go buy a used 2005 Airstream 22CCD? I'm currently looking at one at an RV seller with limited miles. They said the only item so far was a leak in the roof near the AC which they replaced the pan. Not sure what that means, but should I stay away based on this long thread?
Old 06-14-2016, 06:20 AM   #369
1 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM1973 View Post
Don...so I take it that I should not go buy a used 2005 Airstream 22CCD? I'm currently looking at one at an RV seller with limited miles. They said the only item so far was a leak in the roof near the AC which they replaced the pan. Not sure what that means, but should I stay away based on this long thread?
I had around 8,000 miles on mine before the frame broke.
By 2005 they may have solved the problem. You are taking a chance.
Before you buy it find out if it has the new larger outriggers and the additional frame braces welded on behind the rear axle.
If it were me----- I would not buy it.
Keep in mind that with the frame problems I have had the resale value is about ZERO.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:32 AM   #370
2 Rivet Member

East Durham , New York
Frame

Hi,

I have a 2003 and it was reinforced (via recall) back in 2010. No problems at all and have had it inspected at least twice since then by Airstream. Have put about 20k miles on mine.

My advice would be to have a thorough inspection.

The other issue is the rear bumper leak. Check the rear floor carefully.

Good luck.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:08 AM   #371
1 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM1973 View Post
I said I would not buy it.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:09 PM   #372
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
are there any other models/length/years affected?

Hi folks.

My sympathies to all of you with the 22' frame problems. I have been an Airstreamer for may years but had never heard of this problem.

Now looking at buying another a/s trailer but a 2003 to 2007 Classic 31 model. Has anyone heard of frame or wall structural problems for these??
thanks.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:37 AM   #373
1 Rivet Member

Hillsboro , Texas
Frame failures

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodytwo View Post
Hi folks.

My sympathies to all of you with the 22' frame problems. I have been an Airstreamer for may years but had never heard of this problem.

Now looking at buying another a/s trailer but a 2003 to 2007 Classic 31 model. Has anyone heard of frame or wall structural problems for these??
thanks.
I believe the frame and outrigger failures are confined to the early models of the 22' International series trailers. Furthermore a failure may not show up until thousands of miles are driven, and a failure may render the trailer UNTOWABLE.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:22 AM   #374
Holiday Ramblers

2002 22' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON GUBRUD View Post
I did not know there are 13 of us suckers. With the degree of damage you have a totally new frame is your best bet. Second option is remove the body and rebuild your frame. Third option is '' hope '' you get in a wreck and the trailer is totaled [and nobody gets hurt] and your insurance will pay off. Right now your insurance will not cover factory defects. Right now your RV is untowable and unuseable. And the factory will not help you, it is out of waranty. Good luck.
Make that 14. Or more so far. My 2002 CCD model (not the AS model) has the ear desk. No apparent main frame problems but curbside outriggers have sagged. They torqued the main frame and deflected the wall of the main frame channel. i'm having a welder develop a steel plate reinforcement and going to apply it to all of the outriggers. And install the Service Bulletin 131 anyway. The thin metal used for the frame, combined with poor coating and previous Owners neglect and floor rot has really left me with a lot of work. We pulled all the interior and am in process of pulling the entire floor to fix the frame and then install new floor. It seems to me that the pressure being exerted on the step has exacerbated the outrigger failure. I have also noted that the outriggers don't seem to extend all the way to the outside edge of the perimeter channel. One of them is barely hanging on. And the channel does not appear to go on top of the one on the rear side of the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Mar 12, 13 07 56.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	281364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Mar 12, 13 06 59.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	281365  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Mar 12, 13 05 55.jpg