4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydimitt View Post
When I compare the frame on my 05 to the frame on my 66 , it doesn't
take a rocket scientist to see that the older frame is vastly superior to the
modern one.
You would think that the newer ones would have stronger frames because of all the added options that people would put on them, including generators, more LP, more water, etc.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #324
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I don't know where the post is, but somebody here asked if the wheelbase on a 22 was longer than on other two axle Airstreams, and the answer is, they are 33". So are the three (even one from 1973) larger two axle Airstream trailers I checked. The distance is an optical illusion.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #325
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Frames are not the problem but the very limited connections between the frame and the shell. As a result, of the poor connection between the frame and shell the frame has to be much stronger than it would be if it were properly attached to the shell. The frames have gotten weaker and the loads imposed on them by added weight and loosening of the already crappy connection to the shell. In truth it is probably easier to make the frame stronger than properly attaching it to the shell. The shell is very strong but since it is only attached to the frame in a few places through thin sheet metal, it can't do much to help the frame. I have two degrees in engineering one of which is Aerospace and I would not design an airplane the way an Airstream is built. It would fall apart. It could be much stronger than it is. The shell is pretty good the rest is not. Does it need to be as strong as and Airplane, no but it could be a lot better than it is. I don't think any real engineering goes into the structural design of these trailers at least not for 50 years or so.

Having said that, it is one of the best out there and far better than any square box trailer. It seems like Airstream does not learn from mistakes and has tried to cheapen these particular trailers to the point of failure. I doubt many square box trailers have as many miles on them as most Airstreams.

Perry
Old 01-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #326
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Avion, Silver Streak and others improved the Airstream design well over 60 years ago. Unfortunately, they are out of business. I think that Airstream won't make it more than another decade or so if they don't do some improvements.
Airstream's frames are the weakest frame on any trailer of it's size that I have seen, and I've built a lot of frames over the years. I know of the monocoque structure, but it still has to have some decent support for the axles. On another thread folks were discussing the differences and none of the other similar style trailers has frame issues or rear end seperation. I wouldn't own a trailer that I had to worry if I accidentally towed it with full black and gray water tanks. That is absurd. The good folks that spend their hard earned money (and a lot of it) to buy an Airstream deserve better.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #327
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hb View Post
avion, silver streak and others improved the airstream design well over 60 years ago. Unfortunately, they are out of business. I think that airstream won't make it more than another decade or so if they don't do some improvements.
Airstream's frames are the weakest frame on any trailer of it's size that i have seen, and i've built a lot of frames over the years. I know of the monocoque structure, but it still has to have some decent support for the axles. On another thread folks were discussing the differences and none of the other similar style trailers has frame issues or rear end seperation. I wouldn't own a trailer that i had to worry if i accidentally towed it with full black and gray water tanks. That is absurd. The good folks that spend their hard earned money (and a lot of it) to buy an airstream deserve better.
this is an open message to all owners of a 22' as. do not tow with any fluid in the grey or black tank!
Old 01-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #328
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON GUBRUD View Post
this is an open message to all owners of a 22' as. do not tow with any fluid in the grey or black tank!
Don, the part that infuriates me is that Airstream knows of their problems and is doing nothing but minor changes knowing full well that those changes won't solve the problem.
There are probably more engineers on this forum than in Airstreams employ, yet they don't listen. The cost to build a decent frame, with a better, insulated floor is probably less than $500 per trailer and these trailers would then last a lifetime or more. If the buying public knew what we know they probably would never buy one. It seems that Airstream is happy if the trailer just makes it out of warranty. Airstream isn't the only trailer manufacturer with frame issues, they are just the only one trying to get the shell to keep their very weak frame together. Their attachment method is a failure waiting to happen.

Don the big question is, "would you buy another one"?
Old 01-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #329
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
So what makes us think that newer 22' single and double axle's AS are OK? What about the 23'?
Old 01-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #330
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
At least I bought a trailer with the tanks over the axels and not at the rear.

Perry
Old 01-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #331
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgandc View Post
So what makes us think that newer 22' single and double axle's AS are OK? What about the 23'?
I shall never waste any more hard earned money on the shoddy trailers
that Airstream builds.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #332
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Hi, the 23' Airstream is a complete different trailer; The 22' is the problem child.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #333
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
Are the current 2012 22' sports a problem?
Old 01-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #334
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Hi, I haven't heard, but it's possibly too new to tell.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #335
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
The sport is completely different, more of a lighter weight trailer, even different number of axles.

Doesn't prove anything though.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #336
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
Don, the part that infuriates me is that Airstream knows of their problems and is doing nothing but minor changes knowing full well that those changes won't solve the problem.
There are probably more engineers on this forum than in Airstreams employ, yet they don't listen. The cost to build a decent frame, with a better, insulated floor is probably less than $500 per trailer and these trailers would then last a lifetime or more. If the buying public knew what we know they probably would never buy one. It seems that Airstream is happy if the trailer just makes it out of warranty. Airstream isn't the only trailer manufacturer with frame issues, they are just the only one trying to get the shell to keep their very weak frame together. Their attachment method is a failure waiting to happen.

Don the big question is, "would you buy another one"?
Everything you said is probably true. They don't care as long as their sales are up. Someone once said that their structural engineers are hired right out of High School. With a ''D'' average. And yes I would buy another AS but not the 22'er. I live at the North Texas Airstream Community. It is an all AS community and you must own an AS to live here.