Old 02-12-2009, 09:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
What kind of 'frame failure' are we talking about here?
Is the bumper resting on the ground?
Severely 'oil-canned' skin?
Seam separation?

How can anyone speculate without actually seeing what's going on?

Old 02-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
How can anyone speculate without actually seeing what's going on?

Ah, yes. That's all we can do, is speculate. I think it has metal-eating termites,
or maybe it was from that rock band we loaned it to

I couldn't resist. there isn't much that can be said for the frame issues without seeing some pics. I can't imagine why it would be a problem to discuss what is really going on here, but there must be a good reason, right?
If the frame is as bad as it sounds, and the rig was handled gently, then there must be serious flaws with the design or assembly of it. The fact that it was replaced once doesn't mean that the problem was fixed. It may have the same type frame that was on it originally. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the TV and set-up are to blame as well. even a well matched trailer and TV can be used wrong. I would DEFINITLY go back to Airstream and have the problem diagnosed by them, AND also go to an independent repair facility that is familiar with Airstreams for their take on the problem. Airstream will not be willing to call it a flaw, especially after they already replaced the frame once. I'm sure they would like you to go away now. I'm guessing that they probably replaced the frame but never checked out the TV and set-up that DON GUBRUD used with it. For the type and amount of damage described I think the set-up is suspect above all. It should take quite a pounding to bend and break a frame member, especially an outrigger.
I have a 45 year old trailer, and the frame looks great. It was never repaired or even looked at in all that time and yet it is still doing its thing down there, somewhere. I can't believe how many people are having problems with the newer trailers. I've read about frame failures, rotten floors, plumbing disasters, corrosion, and major towing problems just to name a few. It confirms my belief that vintage is the best way to enjoy the trailer lifestyle. Newer definitly does not mean better in this case.
Good luck

Old 02-13-2009, 09:16 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
hillsboro , Texas
i can't figure out how to insert pics, i'm not very good at this, i'm to old [75].
i want to thank everybody for all of your help and support.
i have learned a bit here,
there are many other 22' owners with the same problem and unfortunately many more who will.
the factory will help to some degree but ultimately we own the problem.
be very careful when you buy the first of a new model or design, you are the one who will be doing the field testing.

just a little more background here. i have been towing for over 10yrs with many trailers and being retired i have the time to put on a lot of miles, well over 100,000.
the tow setups i have used are very common [ 1/2 ton tundra with a reese strait-line hitch ]. i keep my fresh water tank almost full and grey and black empty. no added weight inside to speak of, just a couple of bottles of fine scotch whiskey. with all of my travels i have never had a major failure, the most serious being blown tires ... except now. and it has to be on an airstream, the best you can buy.
i have been in contact with the factory [wont name who] and as yet i have had little or no help. i'm just told that the trailer is out of warranty. i'll let you all know if they come thru and help and i'll keep you all informed of any fixes or additional problems that may come up.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Didn't Airstreams used to have some kind of Lifetime warranty for the original owner? Anyway, I think your frame failure is a result of covering the trailer with a light-weight cover, which are well known here to ruin Airstreams. ;-) Seriously though, good luck with this!
Old 02-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
Anyway, I think your frame failure is a result of covering the trailer with a light-weight cover, which are well known here to ruin Airstreams. ;-)

look what it's done to this one...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5390.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	75418  
Old 02-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Hard to tell if the damage is from a cover, or from unbalanced running gear. Either way, a rock-guard would have saved that expensive front wing window.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
hard to tell if the damage is from a cover, or from unbalanced running gear.
lmao
Old 02-13-2009, 03:20 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
Wow. wonder what the tv looks like? Talk about "shake and bake".
Old 02-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Falmouth , Massachusetts
Don,

If you don't mind, where were the broken outriggers on your frame? Were any near the wheel well?

And do you notice any separation of the shell from the frame, especially near the front?

On my 2001 19-ft Bambi, I found two years ago that the frame had cracked outriggers at the wheel wells on both sides, front and back. They've been welded at the crack, but I'm wondering if I should consider replacing them with stronger outriggers.

Having already removed the bellypan, I've gone over the entire frame, section by section, and the only cracks were those wheel-well outriggers.

Have any 19ft owners of Safari/Bambi found frame or outrigger cracks?
mswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:07 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
hillsboro , Texas
marshall,
i once had a 19' bambi, had it for about 5yrs or so and liked it very much, i wish i still had it. i never had any problems with it.
the outrigger failures on my 22' ccd where and still are all over, not just the wheel well area. right now the door/curb side is saging do to bent or broken outriggers. and these are the outriggers that have been modified by the factory, it is thier lattest repair kit ... i think.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Don, I have a 2003 22' CCD and am posting here just to keep track of this thread. I have to look at mine some more when I get home in a month. This may explain some of the other issues I have with the trailer. I hate to hear this - we like this model alot and want to keep it for a long time. We are also off to the factory this spring to have other repairs done.

Please, contact me via the PM and I'll pass my email address on if you can send some pictures my way on what to look for.

Right now I'm in the Persian Gulf on a ship - so it will be a while for me to get a look at mine and post pics.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #26
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Exclamation Don's photos

Don sent me the photos he has with the note, "I did not take good pics but this is my last frame crack problem. I did not take pics of the first failure, a total frame collapse or my second failure, all of the outriggers bending and cracking the frame."

Here are his photos.

Don, make any comments you'd like to.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON GUBRUD View Post
i have a 2003 22' international airstream that i am having serious frame problems. the frame has cracked and outriggers have saged. if anybody else is having similar problems please contact me at [removed by moderator. please use PM system or post to this thread].
Don.

I did not call you back, because I am waiting on some info from Airstream about your trailer.

As soon as I have that, I will call you.

What is the rating of your axles?

Andy
Old 02-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #28
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
that looks like poor craftsmanship on who ever wielded the frame?

if its done by robots it looks like the engineers or maintenance needs to have a look at them

i would think this tread could be added to the poor quality control thread ?

dose any one know if A/S builds there own frames or out sources them?