Old 07-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #211
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo1964 View Post
Just read your message of 2009. We have a 2003, 22', rear bath, that we have just now discovered the same problem. What finally happened in your case?
Join the many who got screwed by Airstream. I'm sorry to say that it is your problem not theirs.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #212
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I am in the middle of buying a 2006 22 CCD and it is going to a dealer Sunday for inspection... is this something they will easily find? I am asking the seller to take a list of specific areas I want looked at closely, and the frame/outriggers are at the top of the list.

I gather that by 2006, this seems to have been sorted out at the factory?

Old 08-12-2011, 11:28 PM   #213
1 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Send a message via AIM to jimelmoreiii
According to Airstream, that issue was resolved mid 2004. I had asked for the kit to fix it and was told that for my serial number, 516095, that the issue had been resolved.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:07 AM   #214
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimelmoreiii View Post
According to Airstream, that issue was resolved mid 2004. I had asked for the kit to fix it and was told that for my serial number, 516095, that the issue had been resolved.
Good to know. I have a 519xxx so hopefully no other major issues show up. Thanks to all who contributed to this discussion - very interesting things to consider that you wouldn't normally...
Old 08-13-2011, 07:02 AM   #215
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Friday and jimelmoreiiii - both of you may want to take some time to do a closer inspection of the units you are talking about. The frame supports would be on the units and show a doubling in the outriggers - so one bend in the support going forward and one rearward at each sub-floor attachment point. Check for a mold smell in the units when sitting with the AC off, check for black spots in the finished floor material. Look under the unit for rotten sub-floor material specifically under the bathroom and rear of the trailer. Tough to do with the tanks in the way but it can be done. I would not buy this model again without a complete inspection. Fixed in 2004 - news to me after a week in the repair facilities at AS - techs there said this continues in all years of this size.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #216
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
I am in the middle of buying a 2006 22 CCD and it is going to a dealer Sunday for inspection... is this something they will easily find? I am asking the seller to take a list of specific areas I want looked at closely, and the frame/outriggers are at the top of the list.

I gather that by 2006, this seems to have been sorted out at the factory?
I will trade mine for yours and I will throw in $30,000 to boot. You will have so much fun with a 2003, welding the frame and all. And look at the gas you will save because you can't take it anywhere.
Don
Old 08-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #217
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON GUBRUD View Post
I will trade mine for yours and I will throw in $30,000 to boot. You will have so much fun with a 2003, welding the frame and all. And look at the gas you will save because you can't take it anywhere.
Don
That is really crappy... if I had a shop where I could lift the body, it would make a good winter project.

I put a deposit on it, it's on it's way to the dealer on Sunday for an inspection, and if it's all good then I'll be on my way next week to get it. I can take a few more days off and swing by Texas to trade.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #218
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
North West PA , Pennsylvania
WOW...I so much want to buy an Airstream..it's all I talk about with my friends..but this thread REALLY scares me....this one along with the floor rot issues on 2005 and newer units...How much floorspace is there that they can't use marine grade or better plywood or SOMETHING that does not rot?????

And this frame thing is scary..I wanted to buy a gently used but now I think the one thing I REALLY need is a NEW flashlight.

Why do all you current owners of units with these problems seem to be so accepting?

Interior appointments are nice but geez if the the frame is failing after 1000 miles and the floor is rotting after three years.....how is this any better than a throw away SOB?
Old 08-14-2011, 01:33 AM   #219
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
A lot of Airstreamers put on a brave face and don't tell their horror stories to their friends... as do a lot of other RV owners. Other than the shiny skin, Airstreams aren't built so different than other RV's. Most of the functional parts are all used in many other brands... it's not like they make a special faucet or water tank just for Airstream... I think most RV owners put up with a lot of poor designs and poor assembly.

I looked at my dad's 28 foot 5th wheel (some generic brand), and it's just a frame, plywood, and some tin over top. While Airstream has a unique cabin construction, they are just the same as any other underneath... What would be a true innovation would be cast aluminum full-circle construction, like an airplane, with a cast aluminum frame.

At least with an Airstream, when you wake up in the morning, it just looks and feels like a work of art. Maybe not put together with the care you'd like, but you can just make up some story in your head about all the love and care that went into making it.

In reality, they - and all RV's - need quite a bit of tending to keep in great shape, and can be very unforgiving of screw ups. Airstreams in particular are bad for dings, scratches, and dents - that are impossible for the average person to repair themselves... and look like crap if they aren't fixed...

Why do we put up with it? Because they are cool, and Airstream has done a better job of managing their brand than managing their quality control...

BTW, all their new units use marine grade plywood with some magic seal around the outside. Though, one needs to ask... if Wally was 50 years ahead of his time in construction technique... why has Airstream stayed the same for 50 years? Full cast-frames and use of lots of composite materials should be standard with $50,000+ trailers...

We debated a LOT on going with a light-weight with a slide or two... makes a nice big space... but in the end, I don't mind tinkering - gives me something to do - and it's just a fun experience having an Airstream... kind of like owning an old MG... they suck in all kinds of ways as a car... but still provide an enjoyable experience to the right owner...
Old 08-14-2011, 06:05 AM   #220
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
hillsboro , Texas
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by friday View Post
a lot of airstreamers put on a brave face and don't tell their horror stories to their friends... As do a lot of other rv owners. Other than the shiny skin, airstreams aren't built so different than other rv's. Most of the functional parts are all used in many other brands... It's not like they make a special faucet or water tank just for airstream... I think most rv owners put up with a lot of poor designs and poor assembly.

I looked at my dad's 28 foot 5th wheel (some generic brand), and it's just a frame, plywood, and some tin over top. While airstream has a unique cabin construction, they are just the same as any other underneath... What would be a true innovation would be cast aluminum full-circle construction, like an airplane, with a cast aluminum frame.

At least with an airstream, when you wake up in the morning, it just looks and feels like a work of art. Maybe not put together with the care you'd like, but you can just make up some story in your head about all the love and care that went into making it.

In reality, they - and all rv's - need quite a bit of tending to keep in great shape, and can be very unforgiving of screw ups. Airstreams in particular are bad for dings, scratches, and dents - that are impossible for the average person to repair themselves... And look like crap if they aren't fixed...

Why do we put up with it? Because they are cool, and airstream has done a better job of managing their brand than managing their quality control...

Btw, all their new units use marine grade plywood with some magic seal around the outside. Though, one needs to ask... If wally was 50 years ahead of his time in construction technique... Why has airstream stayed the same for 50 years? Full cast-frames and use of lots of composite materials should be standard with $50,000+ trailers...

We debated a lot on going with a light-weight with a slide or two... Makes a nice big space... But in the end, i don't mind tinkering - gives me something to do - and it's just a fun experience having an airstream... Kind of like owning an old mg... They suck in all kinds of ways as a car... But still provide an enjoyable experience to the right owner...
well said
Old 08-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #221
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie Count View Post
WOW...I so much want to buy an Airstream..it's all I talk about with my friends..but this thread REALLY scares me....this one along with the floor rot issues on 2005 and newer units...How much floorspace is there that they can't use marine grade or better plywood or SOMETHING that does not rot?????

And this frame thing is scary..I wanted to buy a gently used but now I think the one thing I REALLY need is a NEW flashlight.

Why do all you current owners of units with these problems seem to be so accepting?

Interior appointments are nice but geez if the the frame is failing after 1000 miles and the floor is rotting after three years.....how is this any better than a throw away SOB?
I live in an Airstream only community,NTAC. There are a lot of Airstreams here, nothing but Airstreams. People who don't travel much do not have any problems. My neighbor puts maybe 100 miles a year on his and just loves his trailer. Others use theirs a lot and have lot of problems, just like those RV'ers who own other brands. An RV is a high maintenance vehicle.
Don
Old 08-14-2011, 07:56 AM   #222
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON GUBRUD View Post
I live in an Airstream only community,NTAC. There are a lot of Airstreams here, nothing but Airstreams. People who don't travel much do not have any problems. My neighbor puts maybe 100 miles a year on his and just loves his trailer. Others use theirs a lot and have lot of problems, just like those RV'ers who own other brands. An RV is a high maintenance vehicle.
Don
You can have problems even if you never move the trailer. I'm fixing a 2002 CCD now that has the frame split where the step outriggers meet the frame. The flexing from useing the step has split the frame.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:10 AM   #223
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
You can have problems even if you never move the trailer. I'm fixing a 2002 CCD now that has the frame split where the step outriggers meet the frame. The flexing from useing the step has split the frame.
I have some potentially bad news for you Mr Shacksman. Your frame is cracked behind the axle! The frame is now bent and putting a strain on the outriggers and that in turn cuts into the frame [at the outrigger points] and those are the cracks you see. Sorry but your in trouble my friend. The factory might help you some but don't count on it. Find a good welding shop and be prepared to spend some big money.
Don
Old 08-15-2011, 07:25 AM   #224
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Having just built a new frame from scratch ($1600 in pre cut material) I am surprised that no one is offering an aftermarket frame as a direct replacement

Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote