2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
1977 31' Excella 500
1966 26' Overlander
Shelton , Washington
MT tanks!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
Smart, one of the AS tech's implied that ANY water/material in the black tank would put excess stress on the back of the frame while towing. I also have the grey empty but do keep fresh water in the centerline fresh water tank to keep the center of gravity of the trailer low while towing.
Empty tanks is good advise for many reasons; stress on the towed as well as towing vehicle, helps with anti-sway, etc, etc, etc. but I don't give a dam- what anyone says. The frame under ANY vehicle should be engineered, constructed and tested to, at least double the required strength. What would happen if Ford, GM or Chrysler required us to only put 10 gal. of fuel in or cars? Airstray

Old 12-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #198
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Send a message via MSN to JulianneJ
Bon Bons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstray View Post
Julianne, Unfortunately, no matter what repairs we have done, none of us will ever have peace of mind or faith in Airstream. Jim
Great, I'll give up the dream and sit around my house, watch tv and eat bon-bons. I DON'T THINK SO! I've invested way too much into the Airstream way of life.

2003 International CCD
JulianneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #199
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianneJ View Post
By the way my '03 only has 18,700 miles on it. I have always towed correctly, have not done any 'off roading' and have taken extremely good care of my trailer. I am the original owner and have all the paper work for everything that has ever been done. I am beyond upset, concerned and freaked out. It's not as if I can cruise to Ohio and have the factory take care of this and so far in my research there isn't an Airstream Dealer near me with a good reputation. If someone knows of a place in Arizona where I can take my trailer to have her repaired and have peace of mind please let me know ASAP. Obviously I spent a lot of money on my Airstream and was planning on a long and happy future of traveling. I feel like someone punched me in the stomache and walked away laughing.
You are being ...... and not even being .....
My first frame failure was much worse than your pics show. I think you can at least tow yours. Mine was a complete collapse and untowable. Do not plan on any long trips right now. If you want to contact the factory and deal with them, I can help. Contact me on my e-mail address since this is being monitored by Airstream.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #200
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
I am in contact with Airstream and working on getting this resolved. Thanks.

2003 International CCD
Old 12-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #201
steel/aluminum fabricator

2004 22' International CCD
Penticton , British Columbia
Those cracks are of little concern. You can still rv fine. My cracks are about the same and i am not concerned in the least. The repair is not hard. I fabricate for a living and am very experienced. The fear mongering is a little rediculous really. Dons frame for whatever reason is completely trashed. I dont know why his is so bad, could be climate,the roads,TV,towing with full tanks, who knows. Not only that but a botched frame repair. Many variables. You can not relate Dons terrible experience with everyone elses.
Sure, i have a few small cracks as does Julianne. Am i going to lose any sleep? No.
Dont stress yourself out, those cracks are not major,get them fixed,should not cost more than $500 and dont tow with full black and grey tanks.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #202
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
I am in contact with Airstream and working on getting this resolved. Thanks.
Did you get the frame fixed yet?
Old 01-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #203
steel/aluminum fabricator

2004 22' International CCD
Penticton , British Columbia
I got my parts in the mail just before xmas. I will install them when it slows down at work. I recieved 10 gussets ,5 left and 5 right for the outriggers + 2 plates that look like they lie flat on the frame? When i get down to it i will figure out where they go.
The parts look very well made,nicely cut with a cnc lazer or waterjet and broken with a cnc brake. I am happy with the parts.
Jim got them to me in a timely manner so no complaints with airstreams customer service.
Don? Whats happening with your rig? Are you talking with airstream for some kind of resolution or are you going to bite the bullet and get a new frame built.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #204
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
My parts were just delivered also to the person doing my work for me. Going to cruise on out there and get 'er fixed asap.

2003 International CCD
Old 03-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #205
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Stiffening kit was welded on this week, glad to have that done. Turns out my frame was buckled and cracked. I am very happy I went to Uwe @ Area 63 Productions in Orange County to have the work done. I also had him replace the rear stabilizers and add ones to the front, I figure the more more support the better.

2003 International CCD
Old 03-05-2011, 08:06 AM   #206
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Stiffening kit was welded on this week, glad to have that done. Turns out my frame was buckled and cracked. I am very happy I went to Uwe @ Area 63 Productions in Orange County to have the work done. I also had him replace the rear stabilizers and add ones to the front, I figure the more more support the better.
That is GREAT! I asume the kit you are talking about is the two 5' long iron rails that get welded on the rear of the frame AND all of the outriggers got added braces.
Don
Old 07-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #207
rojo1964

Brewton , Alabama
Just read your message of 2009. We have a 2003, 22', rear bath, that we have just now discovered the same problem. What finally happened in your case?
Old 07-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #208
rojo1964

Brewton , Alabama
Just read your posting. We have a '03, Int'l ccd, 22' with major outrigger and frame problems just like everyone else. We would be very much interested in filing a class action law suit it everyone else wants to do so. It is currently in a shop in Tennessee, to replace the rotting floor from leaking, and all this was discovered.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #209
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
ARTHUR , Illinois
I'd like a straight answer here.........a friend of mine was just ripping up the floor in his 19' '63 to weld a break in the frame. Or should I say "frame"? I saw the frame in his! It was about 12 ga. stamped sheet metal for crying out loud!! And the channel edges weren't very deep at all! And........he was telling me that my '06 Bambi's frame is the same as his!!

He was welding a cover plate over the break inside and out and had taken the spare tire off the back bumper.

Now I don't have the patience to read 15 pages of posts here, but the few I did read make me sick! Is the unit a back bathroom? Did you tow with too hefty of a TV? Did you tow with the tanks full? What kinda crap is this, anyway? Sounds like nothing short of a bunch of sorry excuses for building too light in the first place. I've built and rebuilt a lot of farm machinery in my life and I know full well how stress cracks develope in sheet metal.

I was just now on the factory tour to get a glimpse of the farme but, sorry, you have to come on Friday to see that! Sooooo.......what do they use for frames now??

Like a dummy, I just assumed that they had channel iron like the hitch from there on back.

So which is it??
Old 07-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #210
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo1964 View Post
Just read your posting. We have a '03, Int'l ccd, 22' with major outrigger and frame problems just like everyone else. We would be very much interested in filing a class action law suit it everyone else wants to do so. It is currently in a shop in Tennessee, to replace the rotting floor from leaking, and all this was discovered.
If your going to file, count me in! We all bought a poorly engineered unit that now has little or no resale value!! And to make matters worse the factory will not back up their product and make it right. Is all you might get is patches to put on at our expense .