Old 11-16-2010, 08:00 AM   #155
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
PM me for phone number exchange if you want - you have no idea how true your thoughts are in your post. Been there, done that, paid dearly.....
We all should be a little carefull what we say on this forum. Big daddy probably reads these. In fact I'm very sure one of the middle managers there does indeed read these. I can't name names however. Perhaps we should set-up an E-mail chat group.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #156
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
1977 31' Excella 500
1966 26' Overlander
Shelton , Washington
Smile Nhtsa

Ph. #
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Have any of you contacted the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to report this a a safety issue? It certainly seems to be one.

Ken
I just got off the phone with NHTSA and filed a complaint. Everyone involved needs to file a complaint. Please. Airstray 1-888-327-4236

Old 11-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #157
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
1966 26' Overlander
Shelton , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON GUBRUD View Post
We all should be a little carefull what we say on this forum. Big daddy probably reads these. In fact I'm very sure one of the middle managers there does indeed read these. I can't name names however. Perhaps we should set-up an E-mail chat group.
Don, I agree. How do you want to do this? I'm not to computer savy. Airstray
Old 11-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #158
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
If Airstream is reading this, all the better. It's better if the 22' owners are very clear with them they intend to pursue NHTSA complaints and a class action filing if that's the plan. I can't see how a sneak attack makes the owners case any stronger.

I would encourage everyone with an issue to document it here with pictures. Contact Airstream, when they act surprised and say they've never heard of this issue, send them the link. I would go so far as to post the name of who you speak with, so the same guy can't keep saying he's never heard of the problem.

Publicly holding their foot to the fire will be more effective.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #159
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
1966 26' Overlander
Shelton , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
Airstream Forums - Members List

Member list- search members- advanced search-
enter 1st trailer information and scroll down to the search button.
There are 29 members with 2004 22' intl ccd's, but some may be duplicates or out of date.

Rich the Viking
I checked and there are about 50 '03 owners on the members list. Who knows how many are out there.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #160
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
1966 26' Overlander
Shelton , Washington
Frame cracks--- continuing saga!!!

The dealer where I purchased my CCD said it would cost $3000.00 to repair the frame. They are trying to work with us and offered to split the cost but that's money we shouldn't have to shell out. Airstream should take responsible. The WA. Attorney General says an 'implied warranty" does not pertain to "non motorized" vehicles but I'm still researching the subject. I've contacted a few attorneys but was told "we don't handle such cases". I don't know what category our problem falls under, legal wise. Any help appreciated.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:24 AM   #161
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
1966 26' Overlander
Shelton , Washington
I just finished sending a PM to every '03 22' owner on the members list, asking if they were having frame problems. Suggesting they check the forum. Maybe we'll hear from a few and bolster our numbers. Airstray
Old 11-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #162
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
hillsboro , Texas
Nhtsa

ATTENTION
EVERYBODY HERE GO TO THIS SITE AND FILL OUT A COMPLAINT FORM.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old 11-17-2010, 08:47 AM   #163
4 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Send a message via MSN to JulianneJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstray View Post
The dealer where I purchased my CCD said it would cost $3000.00 to repair the frame. They are trying to work with us and offered to split the cost but that's money we shouldn't have to shell out. Airstream should take responsible. The WA. Attorney General says an 'implied warranty" does not pertain to "non motorized" vehicles but I'm still researching the subject. I've contacted a few attorneys but was told "we don't handle such cases". I don't know what category our problem falls under, legal wise. Any help appreciated.

Curious, did you by chance buy your A/S at Great American RV in Fife? That's where I bought mine. Thanks for including me in this thread via PM. I was totally clueless to this issue. I have not noticed any problems with my trailer.

2003 International CCD
JulianneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #164
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianneJ View Post
Curious, did you by chance buy your A/S at Great American RV in Fife? That's where I bought mine. Thanks for including me in this thread via PM. I was totally clueless to this issue. I have not noticed any problems with my trailer.
I have had a lot of experience with this frame failure issue. Spend the money on ''fixes'' if you want to. None that I know of will give you the confidence and security you should have in an Airstream. The solution is a new frame that they are now putting on the newer ones. And plse go that NHTSA site I posted.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #165
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
1966 26' Overlander
Shelton , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianneJ View Post
Julianne, I purchased mine, used, Sept. 2010 at Sundance RV near Shelton, WA. Have someone check the outriggers where they attach to the frame, especially near the step and behind the rear axle. You have to look close. Read all the complaints at, "frame problems" on the forum. Good luck. Jim
Old 11-19-2010, 08:15 AM   #166
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
What years were this "problem frame" used?

I have a 2006 22'CCD and I have not noticed any problems with my frame.
I have not looked close or really studied the frame. Our trailer is in storage for the winter and it will probably be months before I get the chance to look it over.

Im curious and concerned

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #167
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Here is the extent of their admission of this issue. These was a 22' CCD only 4 serial numbers less than mine (made the same week, same configuration, same interior colors, same sub-floor design, same same same, NOT apples to oranges) in the parking lot post repairs to the floor and the addition of the outrigger braces. They would not even compare my trailer to that one - THE EXACT SAME REPAIR JOB AND ISSUE. They argued but gave in to my request to have the outriggers beefed up and said that there was no issue with this model. There are no structural issues with the frame - even though they have a kit to give you free if you ask, YOU pay for the welding. There are no issues with the beltline leak - even though the frame may sag in the back and break all the sealant on the trim, which they have a kit to make the outriggers stiffer.

So, go ahead, fight the issue, you are still stuck with a defective product.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:13 PM   #168
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
Here is the extent of their admission of this issue. These was a 22' CCD only 4 serial numbers less than mine (made the same week, same configuration, same interior colors, same sub-floor design, same same same, NOT apples to oranges) in the parking lot post repairs to the floor and the addition of the outrigger braces. They would not even compare my trailer to that one - THE EXACT SAME REPAIR JOB AND ISSUE. They argued but gave in to my request to have the outriggers beefed up and said that there was no issue with this model. There are no structural issues with the frame - even though they have a kit to give you free if you ask, YOU pay for the welding. There are no issues with the beltline leak - even though the frame may sag in the back and break all the sealant on the trim, which they have a kit to make the outriggers stiffer.

So, go ahead, fight the issue, you are still stuck with a defective product.
Amend to that Mr Clancy_Boy.
I have been dealing with them now since 2005. They have fixed this and that for me. some I paid for, some they paid for. I now have a frame with welded patches, welded add-on's and rust all over because the frame was not sealed with oil based paint. Out of pocket money for me is well over $3000. And I still have a defective frame. I think those who bought this model after 2004 or 2005 have a great product.
Did you file your compaint with the NHTSA ?