Old 10-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Frame Damage under battery compartment

Bought a 1988 Excella that looks good. Except, when I checked out the rust where the left front frame member enters the trailer under the battery compartment. The frame is rusted through at the bottom and one side.
How can this be repaired? My thought is that maybe a local welding shop could cut out the damaged part and weld back in a new tube. Or perhaps weld supports along the side and bottom?
Can they weld to it with the wooden floor above, or what???

Perplexed and a little unhappy.

Bill

Old 10-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
2001 31' Limited
1985 29' Sovereign
Jenison , Michigan
Andy......we need YOU!

Old 11-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Not a lot of help on this one do I see. So I get to update my own post. I rigged up a brace for the really rusty area out of channel iron and ubolts and towed the rig to Jackson Center. Repar is going to consist of replacing the whole A assembly and some work on one frame member.

When you buy an Airstream, be sure to check out this area better than I did. Or budget an extra three grand and a couple of tows to and from Jackson Center in case you make a mistake. It looked rusty, but the original paint and caulking to the banna skirt hid the deeper damage. I pried out the caulk and started to scrape it to paint and a whole sheet of the surface of the frame with the paint attched fell off revealing the rust through the frame. It was also very rusty under the front belly pan. Main frames looked okay.

We had the option of fixing it right or bracing it up and using it as a park model. We like it well enough to go ahead and get it repaired. Had a broken fresh water tank also. I am now well over budget for repairs. I would like to be able to weekend with it even though it will be parked on a lot in Fl most of the year.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62bam View Post
Andy......we need YOU!
Your question?

Andy
Old 11-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Not a lot of help on this one do I see. So I get to update my own post. I rigged up a brace for the really rusty area out of channel iron and ubolts and towed the rig to Jackson Center. Repar is going to consist of replacing the whole A assembly and some work on one frame member.

When you buy an Airstream, be sure to check out this area better than I did. Or budget an extra three grand and a couple of tows to and from Jackson Center in case you make a mistake. It looked rusty, but the original paint and caulking to the banna skirt hid the deeper damage. I pried out the caulk and started to scrape it to paint and a whole sheet of the surface of the frame with the paint attched fell off revealing the rust through the frame. It was also very rusty under the front belly pan. Main frames looked okay.

We had the option of fixing it right or bracing it up and using it as a park model. We like it well enough to go ahead and get it repaired. Had a broken fresh water tank also. I am now well over budget for repairs. I would like to be able to weekend with it even though it will be parked on a lot in Fl most of the year.
You did good by having Jackson Center do the repair.

Just saw your post.

Andy