Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2003, 07:06 AM   #1

Rivet Frame Damage (Rust under water Tank

I purchased a 71 Landyachet .. 12 Years ago, out of a junk yard, she was headed fore the shearder, I have had her now for 12 Years, the family and I have enjoyed this old trailor.

Last summer our frame break just aft of the rear wheel(under) the hot water heater, I have wanted to do some reserasation work and **here's my chance.. This is some-what complex, has anyone had experance with this kind of repair, What's it going to take??

She's all there, with the exception of the recent damage!
klanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 08:25 AM   #2
pap

Hey Klanke good move on the junk yard reprieve.

You like so many here have given us too little info to do much comment on your problems.
It would be nice if we at least knew what size and floorplan your Airstream happens to be.

Landyacht is usually referring to a class (i.e.an option package) instead of a model.

There is much on this forum regarding broken frames. Search under tail sag, or tail droop, or rear end separation.

You also fail to tell us where you are, but if you are stateside and near Ohio you can get it done at the factory.

Just curious why you chose not to list a location on your profile?
Best of luck.
pap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 08:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Must be a rear bath ?
AS has a kit that prevents this from happening. I had the kit installed as soon as I noticed a buckel at the rear wheel area.
I had the work done by an AS shop in Oklahoma City..
A local shop that works on AS's said they never install the kit but weld a homemade support bracket onto the frame. I did not trust the homemade fix. I think the kit is around $700.

I think Andy will know the answer to this one. But my take is once the frame brakes/separates you will be looking at some frame welding.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 08:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Sounds pretty bad to me. If the frame is indeed rusted so extensively to the point of breaking I wonder if there is enough substantial metal left to get it rewelded correctly?

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote