Old 09-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
I don't know about Oct 7 but Id say YES FIXABLE . But you realize you will have to drop that axle that looks shot anyway. DONT PUT THOSE BACK IN unless you want the same problem all over again somewhere else.
If that break is not at the axle mounting plate I see no reason it cant be fixed.
GOOD LUCK
Mikethefixit

This crack goes straight thru to the axle. is that an issue?

Steve

www.steventothemax.com
steven2themax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #16
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Just buy the factory engineered reinforcing plates and bolt them on. Read the instructions linked from the ad. The position of the crack is not an issue in this case.

Frames crack because they are overstressed, like bending a wire back and forth back and forth until it breaks. Airstreams are built light and will not take a lot of stress. Worn out axles with no resiliance left in them, too heavy a tow vehicle, and too stiff hitch bars will pound your Airstream to pieces. Loose rivets, bent sheet metal, cracked frames are the end result of too hard use.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:34 AM   #17
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
From this engineer's viewpoint, likely causes (in order) are:

1. The axles have insufficient travel to absorb road shocks; this can be because the axle's rubber suspension rods have taken a set (e.g. axles need replacing), or because the trailer was taken over rough roads at too high a speed.
  2. The original frame design is marginal and over time fatigued.
  3. Excessive mass at the front and rear of the trailer can cause higher than normal loads in the frame.
Note that a heavy tow vehicle suspension itself is unlikely to be the cause of this sort of damage; road shocks that would cause violent vertical movement of the tow vehicle's hitch would cause more problems when the trailer tires encountered them.

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #18
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Bart this garage mechanic agrees with you except for the part about the tow vehicle. A heavy tow vehicle suspension means a heavy tow vehicle, like a 1 ton dually truck. Such a vehicle will whip the Airstream around more than a light vehicle with soft springs, on big bumps and general vibration as you drive down the road. I admit this is a minor issue compared to collapsed suspension and rigid spring bars. But I have noticed that the type of owner who will not pull out of the driveway without a 1 ton dually to tow his Bambi, is also the type who believes he has to have 1200 lb spring bars when he would be better off with none at all.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Fort Worth , Texas
So what's the best way to close this gap before it gets welded. I'm trying to use jacks and jack stands to get the job done.

Can I use a jack at the frame by the rear bumper?

www.steventothemax.com
Old 10-02-2010, 12:22 AM   #20
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
To fix this, I'd jack the trailer level using a minimum of six screw jacks: two in front of the axles, four to the rear to suspend the broken rear section. This should close up the gap to 1/16" or so; if not you may need to apply traction, welding temporary pieces to the frame to permit fitting heavy threaded rod to pull cracks closed; a come-a-long cleverly applied may also work. You may need to remove the axles before doing this; you will need to remove them to add the strengthening plates which are needed (others have mentioned the part #).

You'll want to weld the cracks closed, grind smooth, paint both sides and then fit the reinforcing plates. It will go pretty fast; like many of these sorts of things the deciding takes longer than the doing. Remember that molten metal has no strength - don't weld pieces under stress.

- Bart
Old 10-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
1977 31' Excella 500
1966 26' Overlander
Shelton , Washington
Question

My '03 22ft. Int. CCD has two small horizonal cracks on the forward curbside frame where the outriggers attach. I agree with jacking the trailer level, welding, grinding and reinforcing the frame. Has anyone considered forcing whatever size box tubing will fit between the frames, the larger the better, forward of the FW tank then weld all possible points? Any thoughts? Airstray
Old 10-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Fort Worth , Texas
Can I do this repair without dropping the belly pan?

www.steventothemax.com
Old 10-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven2themax View Post
Can I do this repair without dropping the belly pan?
Absolutely "NO".

Both sides must be welded to be effective.

You can cut a portion of the underbelly away, and then splice it back in when the welding, grinding and plating, has been completed.

Andy
Old 10-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks to everyone for advice. Repair was done today. Took lots of pictures for everyone. I think i will do a detailed write up on the brakes, shocks, axles, cracked frame when I get some time.

www.steventothemax.com
Old 10-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #25
steel/aluminum fabricator

2004 22' International CCD
Penticton , British Columbia
Whats the body like? A broken frame rail will cause stresses on the body. The roof and windows would be where i would have a look .
Old 11-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
newburgh , Maine
to add a bit more to Bart’s comments:
The original frame design is marginal and over time fatigued.

Regardless of what caused the problem, stiff truck, bad axles, overloaded trailer, corrosion they all point in the same direction: failure of the C channel. The failure was at the top web of the channel where there is the greatest tension stress on a cantilevered beam. I would have hoped that the floor diaphragm would have been able to assist in taking that load but it did not.

The solution is the same regardless of the cause; increase the area of the top web of the channel (increase the section modulus). This can be done in any number of ways including the proposed fix from airstream. Note that this fix only has a top flange the bottom has been cut around the axles. Which is fine it’s the top that needs reinforcing?

Another solution would be to stitch weld a plate to the top of the channel, just eyeballing I would say a 3/16” X2.5” X 6’ plate with a 3/12 stitch. Course you could only do this when the floor is removed, and then you would have to dado a groove in the plywood floor. Anyhow this is potential solution, before being implemented it should be designed by someone well versed in dynamic loading and metal fatigue.
Wouldn’t hurt to add one also to where the tension goes to the bottom of the channel somewhere between the axle and the hitch. .

Given the number of failures I do agree with Bart’s choice of words “marginal”. I am surprised that the floor diaphragm could not contribute more the C Channel. I would also check the bolt connections to the channel, I doubt if they are sheared off (that would be really bad) but I bet they are elongated. In other words the connection between the C channel and the floor is also marginal and you might think about adding a few more bolts to there.

Well do not give up your trip in a total panic, or spent nights worrying about this. If its parked its fine!. If you are planning a trip look under the trailer above the axle how’s the Channel look, if there is a hairline you have a problem, just use the patch and go another 40 years!!

If you are remodeling then think of not waiting for this to happen do the repair while it is convenient.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:27 AM   #27
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudebo View Post
I am surprised that the floor diaphragm could not contribute more the C Channel. I would also check the bolt connections to the channel, I doubt if they are sheared off (that would be really bad) but I bet they are elongated. In other words the connection between the C channel and the floor is also marginal and you might think about adding a few more bolts to there.
The floor itself will add almost no bending strength to the frame, because the modulus of elasticity of wood is prob. 20 or 30 times less than that of steel. In other words, the steel is so much stiffer than it will fail long before the wood takes an appreciable amount of the load.

The floor's job is to tie the shell to the frame. The amount of load sharing between the shell and the frame depends on their relative stiffnesses, and the strength of the connection between the two.

As an engineer, if I ran the zoo I'd use more of the weight budget to build a stiffer frame- but that doesn't sell as well as heavier cabinets, bigger tanks, batteries, etc. A stiffer frame reduces shell deflection, and means the frame needs to be stronger as well as stiffer.

- Bart