Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
East Durham , New York
Frame crack, should I be worried?

Hi,

Just discovered this crack in my frame. It's directly behind the axle bracket and I have no idea how long it's been there. I know it's not new. There isn't a lot of extra weight in that area of the trailer and I'm just hoping this might be a fairly easy fix, like a bolted or welded on brace?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4169.JPG
Views:	503
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	290319   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4171.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	290320  

bluvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:42 AM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluvalley View Post
Hi,

Just discovered this crack in my frame. It's directly behind the axle bracket and I have no idea how long it's been there. I know it's not new. There isn't a lot of extra weight in that area of the trailer and I'm just hoping this might be a fairly easy fix, like a bolted or welded on brace?

Thanks!
Worried is a relative term but if it were my trailer I would indeed be concerned and get it fixed. And welding it would be my choice although I know little about welding. But there are experts who could weld it as good as new with minimal cost.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:59 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
I'd say it looks like a easy fix, contact a local welder, many have portable rigs.
Opening up the belly pan in that area so the welder has full access would be helpful and make it a quick job.
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I think I'd get a welder to lay a bead in the crack, grind it flat, then put a angle plate over it and weld that over the whole repaired area.
Just curious, was it jacked up in the bent area, causing stress on the frame?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
I have had frame cracks welded successfully on enclosed trailers. The welder needs to know how to do a penetrating weld. It requires the proper welding rods, gas and welder settings. The weld should penetrate through the entire thickness of the metal.

The guy I had do it was certified for welding work in nuclear power stations.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:32 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

East Durham , New York
Frame

Thanks everyone!

Yes, it could have happened when it was jacked up, not sure. Recently had a terrible experience with a Tire Chain (won't mention name) who bent part of the axle bracket while installing new tires, not to mention they delivered wrong tires and then one went flat. I'll never use them again. Nightmare.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:36 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Jacked improperly or hit and dragged the back end up hard was my guess. Any rear bumper area damage?
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

East Durham , New York
frame

Oh boy. I did lightly back into a tree last summer without any bumper damage. I wonder if this could have done it. Ugh, don't always trust your partner when they are guiding you into a space!!!!

thanks again.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Oh boy. I did lightly back into a tree last summer without any bumper damage. I wonder if this could have done it. Ugh, don't always trust your partner when they are guiding you into a space!!!!

thanks again.
As stated no damage to bumper IMO wouldn't crack frame. Any frame crack is cause for concern and to be repaired, as other poster stated weld crack with good penetrating weld grind flat than weld plate to span crack. My son is cert. for all welding except under water and has fixed quite a few frames including welding blocks to lower axles for larger wheels and then welding axles back on. He said only way to safely fix frame cracks is as stated above other wise will prob. crack again.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I'm having trouble relating the two picures, but looking at the second, the back part of the frame rail appears to have been raised, since the crack appears to have propagated upwards. The bend in the bottom rail looks like maybe that is where a jack was placed.

I'm not a materials expert, but I like the ides of welding it and then adding a plate over the weld.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
There is a specific repair usually employed employed for this type of break called a "fish plate" weld.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
There is a specific repair usually employed employed for this type of break called a "fish plate" weld.
The term fish plate is welding plate on as stated other posts. There are several other names for this procedure also.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:24 PM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Yes, it should be repaired. I believe that the 2003 22ft coach had frame problems. Think that Airstream replaced some frames and repaired some others. Call the factory and ask for their recommendation on how the frame should be repaired. Consult a trailer fabrication and repair facility as an alternative point of consideration. Research what others have done to correct their failures. A new frame sounds extreme, but may be best solution.

Believe you will find threads on this. Check these.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...-48105-26.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...l-48105-7.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f282...ccd-55255.html

Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:03 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2004 28' Safari
Sahuarita , Arizona
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!
I had that exact year/model and there was a recall by Airstream to add a welded plate to the frame in the area of the axles. It was done to mine and I am certain the factory can give you the drawings and details. Hope this helps. Terry
AzAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Spruce Grove , Alberta
Crackedframe

I am a welder and have made repairs to frames like that. Firstly get a certified welder. He will grind the fame and crack clear of paint. He then will straighten the bent part and weld the frame up the ground out area. Next he will fish plate the frame over the crack with no square corners to ensure that very little weld is across the frame and mostly on the horizontal. A fish plate probably 3/8" thick will be welded all the way around. If you really want to guarantee no more issues go to the other side and box the frame in for about a foot. Clean up the weld slag and paint with an under coat paint and all is resolved
wvollans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:36 AM   #16

Bellaire , Texas
bluevalley and AzAirstream - I sent you both PMs, but wanted to send a note to the whole, community in case others have feedback. Unfortunately, I just bought a used 2003 22' (rear desk/bathroom model)and am having the same cracked frame problems you had with your trailers that you posted about in 2017. I wanted to see what you did with the frame repair and what support you received from Airstream. For those that repaired, are you comfortable that your 22' CCD can be safely and reliably towed at this point? In addition to Airstream's Bulletin 131 fix (which only addresses the c-frame and not the outriggers), what fixes have been applied to the outriggers (ours is sagging to curb side like others have experienced) and have those repairs stood the test of time? Did the outrigger repairs eliminate the sag and make the shell level again? I am agonizing over next steps as I want to make sure we are doing the right fix and not implementing a marginal repair that can not be undone. Did you repair locally or take to Jackson Center? Has anyone implemented a full trailer replacement and what would be the ballpark cost for that? I know one poster had a replacement trailer that also failed (likely same poor trailer design)... I'm wondering if others have replaced with an enhanced, redesigned or beefier frame and what the experience has been in those cases... I appreciate from other threads that trailer flex is part of the overall design and views may be subjective and varied for those without direct experience on this topic.

We love the open design and had a great time on our one and only trip several weeks ago. This is our first Airstream and our hearts are broken. I would love to get feedback since so many others have unfortunately gone through this same ordeal.

Quick question - do other 22' CCD owners know the dimension / height of the c-channel on your frames? My 2003 is at the repair shop so I can't measure directly. Based on the numerous threads, if appears that the frame size may have been increased from 3" to 4" at some point and I'm trying to understand if/when that happened and how much of a difference that might make for the longevity of the trailer.

Thanks in advance for your help. This is my first post... certainly not the post that I hoped for as a newbie to the Airstream lifestyle. Apologies that my first post is not the most positive topic. Oh well, hopefully there is a silver lining here and I'll learn that the Airstream bullletin 131 repair and the augmented outriggers work exceptionally well and this can all be fixed with time, effort and a reasonable amount of money (hopefully manufacturer will support to some extent). In case no one is monitoring this old thread, I may post to some of the other threads on this topics with more recent messages. Thanks in advance for your help!
TexStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote