Old 08-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Flatrock , Indiana
Frame Compromised

Has the frame been compromised.

Is this tank installation needing to be redone.... looks pretty jerry-rigged to me

Thanks in advance for your input
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	w_IMG_9763 (2).jpg
Views:	230
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	219661  

Old 08-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Yes
You have no choice.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I can't believe it! I just can't believe it. Yes, replace it and look around for more work done by the same person...I hope it was not you.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Flatrock , Indiana
I don't follow, I am focused on the girder or front to back steel support that appears to have been cut.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Flatrock , Indiana
Let me clarify

1. I am concerned as to the disruption in the steel support that runs front to back. It appears to have been cut

2. I am concerned with the tank replacement that was done. From the photo it just looks porly done.

I am looking at this 76 Argosy to purchase. I asked for pictures so I could determione the condition of the underside to review before I consider traveling 3.5 hours to see it first hand. If this picture is indicates a compromising situation I would rather pass on the trip and potential purchase and continue my search.

Hope this amplification helps

Thank you
Old 08-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You might want to continue your search. That does not look like a well done job to me, I've never seen anything like it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
It does not look like any frame modification, however, the tank replacement is very poor. Have a look at the rest of the unit, and if possible, take someone that knows Airstreams with you. You never know, it might be a great deal. I have driven farther to look at units, and come home empty handed.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:50 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Flatrock , Indiana
Thank you, I appreciate the advice. Been searching long enough to know the AS Forum is like Dorothy Once Said " There's No Place Like Home! Good Advice

The retro work one sees in the older Airstreams is remarkable at times, and at other times, well lets just say their not engineering marvels.

I will continue to practice a old wise verse as I apply to my Airstream quest... " Seek and Ye Shall Find"
Old 08-24-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Missouri Valley , Iowa
RAD
The rear frame on my 30' '02 Classic has the same "missing link". The area around the axles is for mounting and strength. The rear flange area, as I understand, is the rear end drag protection.
Dan
Old 08-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Click image for larger version

Name:	30_frame_1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	330.9 KB
ID:	219665

Are you talking about the broad flat piece in the center running front to back?
If so, although it probably offers some structural integrity to the frame, I believe its main purpose is to provide a mounting platform for the floor as well as provide a more solid walking surface down the center isle. You can see in the picture, a couple sections are just bolted in place.

I would remove the.....whatever PO thought that was......and weld back a piece simulating what was there. I doubt you have compromised frame damage. Is there any reason to suspect...like buckled and wavy, or torn body skin, or a lot of missing rivets?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
As you look at the one photo it does not appear to be cut but possibly reinforced! Looking at the axle the frame rails appear to extend down below the axles and the belly pan sits 2 inches above the frame rails. The tank looks more like a storage tube meant to be in a closet in the house not in a trailer! There are no tank supports in that area unless added by the PO so you and we would need more input or pictures it could be a golden opportunity and a lets say poor choice of photos! Inside over that area and from the rear under the trailer and an outside shot or two. How one maintains the trailer tells a story too!
Cliff
Old 08-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

There's good and bad, the good: if it's a black or gray tank after driving down the road a few miles you will never have to worry about dumping again. The bad, if it's a fresh water tank, I'd always look for places to camp that had showers and places to wash your dishes.

Enjoy,
Old 08-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Tank lash-up may be between frame rails

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADINFLATROC View Post
I don't follow, I am focused on the girder or front to back steel support that appears to have been cut.
Most Airstream frames have two longitudinal frame members, not a single center rail. This tank appears to have been suspended between the frame rails. I agree that it's an unbelievable bit of poor engineering.

There are other reasons for a frame to be bad, so don't limit your checks to the area by the tank. Rust, rot, and other stuff are much more common.

Check the right-hand column of the Portal page for a link to volunteer Airstream inspectors who will help you evaluate a trailer for purchase. Also, there's a very detailed inspection checklist you should print and take with you.

Good luck!
Old 08-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Again I don't think that what we see is the main frame but an additional support rail (added at a later time) I also do not think that the tank we see is original so we do need more pictures.
Cliff

Yes I said that! Or did I?