Old 04-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2008 27' International CCD FB
Atlanta , Georgia
Frame and Floor Pre-purchase Inspection Tips

Could anyone help with some quick tips on inspecting the frame and subflooring. I don't have a friend over 300# to make this easy, so besides falling through the floor are there “tell tell” signals?

The seller just replaced the floor, which raises the question with me. I am not expecting the '75 Overlander Int’l to be perfect, just want to understand the commitment.

I am planning to have a PDI done at a dealer / service center prior to finalizing the sell, but don't want to waste my time (or the seller’s) if the frame and floor are shot.

Thanks for the help!

jremling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Nobody really wants a prospective buyer to have their #300 friend jump up and down in or on their Airstream. I have heard that's the way to check for rear end seperation, but it's also the way to cause it on a trailer you haven't bought yet!
The best thing is to get an experienced person to come with you. Try the trailer inspection link on the forum page and search for one in the area. If you are doing this yourself try poking in the floor with an ice pick, or a sharp screwdriver, around the perimeter of the floor where it goes under the walls. Most likely places are under the front window, by the entry door, and under the bathroom(especially a rear bath model), but you should get under the cabinets and everywhere you can to poke at it. Soft wood is rotten wood.

Best to you,
Rich the Viking

VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Originally Posted by jremling View Post
Could anyone help with some quick tips on inspecting the frame and subflooring.
Thanks for the help!
The only way is to drop the belly pan, then you would be 100% sure.
I have seen Airstreams that look like they would never have a problem and
have major frame and floor problems.

Check out this 1975, 29 ft, Ambassador

toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:45 AM   #4
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
The only way is to remove the belly pan, then you would be 100% sure.
I have seen Airstreams that look like they would never have a problem and
have major frame and floor problems.

Ours never had any indication it had a problem until the frame broke in half in the middle of the desert. A possible way to check is to see if the rivets and the areas around them, where they attach the belly pan to the frame, are badly corroded. While not foolproof, it is an indicator.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
I'm no expert but if its not too far I'll take a look, a floor replacement is a BIG job, just ask terry, rich and toastie. Sometimes a short conversation with the owner will give you a lot of info, most of the time when they say a new floor, they are talking about laminate. Most (all?) of the 60's and 70's that I have looked at and a majority of the ones I have read about here have at least some subfloor/frame issues.
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote

1975, frame, international, overlander, subfloor