Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
John,

The horizontal portion of the hold down plate goes under the floor. (The plywood floor is sandwiched between the hold down plate and the shell.)

It sort of needs to be in place before you slide the floor in because the back side of it (vertical section) slips between the floor channel and the rear exterior skin. It is riveted in place to the floor channel through the exterior skin (and is covered up by the belt line).

At least that's how I think it goes.

Here's a pic from my Overlander. The rear wall support angle should've been referred to as the rear hold down plate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jacos.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	53700  
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Moncton , New Brunswick
Ron,

Thanks for the info. It looks like it would go in as you have suggested for your Overlander. I don't know if this will work for me at this point as When I did up my 1/4 inch merante(?) board template I slid it in from the back to check the template fit. If it slides in from the side I don't think it will go as there is a few inchs of channel on each side where the front portion of the plywood floor replacement has to slide into. If I have to slide it in from the back one option that I thought I might use is to get a couple of hinges, take their pins out, slide the floor section into place then put one hinge plate horizontal and one vertical and reinstall the pins and "voila" I have a hold down plate. Am I thinking too much about this?

John
toga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:18 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
John,

The hold down plate is about 40" long or longer (if I remember correctly). It holds the shell down to the floor at a high stress point, where bolts and washers would eventually pull through.

The hinge idea might work, I'd never really thought about it. I'd use a lot of them (which will be hard because you need spacing to fit the pins in) and definitely add a hold down point outboard of each main frame rail as well.

Sliding in from the side was not an issue for me because the '73 didn't have the channel up the side to prevent it.

What I would probably do in this circumstance is to cut or bend back the C-channel on one side to allow the floor to be slid in from one side and stick with a solid hold down plate. The hold down plate in the rear is more important than the 6" (or whatever it is) of C-channel on the side.

Does this make sense to you?
Old 02-13-2008, 05:43 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Moncton , New Brunswick
Ron,

I think you are right; the hinge idea may be out there. Your suggestion on cutting the C channel is worthwhile. What I am thinking at this point is to maybe try sliding the floor in from the back then inserting the stainless hold down plate that I will get made up. Either I will try to get the vertical portion inside the exterior skin or slide it up flush with the bottom of the exterior of the rear skin and once it is all back together the exterior trim (rub rail?) will cover it up. One reason why I think this might work is because I re-looked at what is left of the rotted hold down plate between the lip of the rear channel and the inside of the back skin. It is highly rotted but it seems that the plate only came to the top of the channel and not as high up as on yours. Probably add an interior angle to attach the stainless to and to strengthen the rear channel.

Lots of time for thought as we are having quite a winter in these parts. By the way, my plastic welder gave up and returned by tanks; he just did not want t bother trying to weld them. I am looking for other welding resources.

John
Old 02-14-2008, 05:27 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by toga
... By the way, my plastic welder gave up and returned by tanks; he just did not want t bother trying to weld them. I am looking for other welding resources....
John -
Great documentation - thanks for posting all of the pics here.

I have a question - did your plastic welder give a reason for retrning the tanks?

I have no experience at all with plastic welding and I was wondering if the type of plastic (or shape) of the tanks used in the AS was exceptionally difficult to work with - please keep us informed (pics would be nice) of what you do - or don't do - and the reasons behind your decision.

Is it all three tanks that need repair?

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
John,

Not sure about installing the hold down plate after the floor. (Seems it would be very tight once the floor is in, but I've never done it that way)

Sliding the floor in from the back will be difficult, as the main frame rails will be somewhat in the way.

I think the side is your best bet. I'd like to know....how much C-channel extends aft to the rear floor piece? (Picture would be helpful)

You'd only have to cut one side and could reinstall it once the floor is in.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:37 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Moncton , New Brunswick
Dennis,

Not sure what the problem was with my plastic welder. This part of the restoration is on hold but I will kepp you posted.

Ron,

There is not much C channel that would have to be cut; maybe 4 inches?. I will try and post some photos. I am tempted to try the back in part because it is getting demoralizing tearing things a part. Why do you think the main frame rails would be in the way? The 1/8 inch template seemed to slide in. Maybe what I will do is try a thin width of 1/2 inch plywood first and see if it slides in. You were right about the length of the hold down plate. From what I can see of the rot that is left it measured about 40 inches long. I am planning to have one made up at 41.5 inch long, 2.75 inch on the horizontal and 2 inch on the vertical bent back about 10 degree from the right angle. Hoping to get back to work soon as things seem to be warming up.

John