Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 07:07 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
FloorRot

Have a noisy floor..probably rot. I need a good, reasonable company, in southern Virginia that can do replacement of floor, if necessary. It squeaks from just in front of refrigerator to sink in bedroom. Trailer has been under car port for past 2 years and this problem "floored," me. Thank you
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
That is not a typical location for rot. Might just be loose screws in the floor to the frame.

If it was me, in the absence os soft spots or holes, I would think about doing nothing and just live with the squeak for a while.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Get a Sonin moisture meter and probe around. If it shows no moisture and the squeak bothers you then the vinyl floor would have to be removed, the screws tighten/repaired and a new vinyl floor put down.

Kelvin
Old 09-23-2015, 09:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
An easy way to see if you have had moisture in the floor is to remove and look at a few random screws that hold the plastic baseboard strip at the interior perimeter of the floor.

If the screws are shiny the plywood subfloor has been very dry. If dull there may have been a little moisture. If rusty the subfloor has been wet.

A simple moisture inspection, but I would recommend adding a moisture detection meter to your tool kit with sharpened probes to poke through the vinyl into the subfloor on a regular basis.

Set up a routine calendar inspection schedule such as quarterly, inspect all of the Airstream's condition, treat the exterior rivets and panel edges and underbody steel with Corrosion X, touch-up any nicks with clear coat, check that electrical and plumbing systems work properly, clean and wash, and wax with any good polish once a year.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:20 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
I had to post note this morning on my way out the door. I do have a moisture meter, I removed tile in front of refrigerator, drilled a few holes and checked with a couple holes pegging the meter. However.....prior to that, I had hosed off the back of the refrigerator and checked inside and there was a lake on the floor. I presume hole the frig is mounted is not leak proof. Anyway, will wait until floor dries out and check again tomorrow.

Like I said, the trailer has been under a carport for a couple years, only out a few times for a trip...not getting wet. Last year I replaced a 14x14" square in the front and right side floor of door that had been left there by PO. The new squeak started squeaking over night, it seems. I was in trailer one day and nothing, returning the next and the entire area from in front of the frig to the sink in the bedroom squeaked. As mentioned, I took up original vinyl floor, put down tile squares last year and did not detect any moisture at all.

I will read again what has been written and see if I can use all or part. Many thanks for your input.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:01 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Refrigerator removal

While I am working in the frig area, is it too much problem to remove refrigerator just for peace of mind, if nothing else? While I am at it, I have read on the Forum, different ways to pressure test trailer and I believe I will try. Also, I am seeing rusted nails/screws in various locations on the floor. The closest Airstream dealer is StaffordRV near Fredricksburg, Va; about 200 miles from here. Any reports about Stafford...closest dealer....

Old 09-24-2015, 10:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
You mentioned hosing off the back of the refrigerator. You took a water hose and sprayed water on the vent covers? If you open the lower vent you should be able to see if the fridge box is sealed around the edges.

It shouldn't be too hard to slide the fridge out but I haven't done one yet. The Dometic instructions make it sound simple; disconnect the 12v/120v connections and propane line. Remove the front mounting screws and pull it out. You may need to get a 2nd person to help you lift it down to the floor and a piece of carpet.

You could then seal the box maybe coat the bottom with a sealer

Kelvin
Old 09-24-2015, 11:02 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
You mentioned hosing off the back of the refrigerator. You took a water hose and sprayed water on the vent covers? If you open the lower vent you should be able to see if the fridge box is sealed around the edges.

It shouldn't be too hard to slide the fridge out but I haven't done one yet. The Dometic instructions make it sound simple; disconnect the 12v/120v connections and propane line. Remove the front mounting screws and pull it out. You may need to get a 2nd person to help you lift it down to the floor and a piece of carpet.

Kelvin
I opened lower vent and sprayed rear of refrig and water poured onto cabin floor.. I looked and did not see any sealing material anywhere. I downloaded installation/removal instructions and will attempt removal this weekend. I have to get it out to determine next step. The way it sets now, there is no need to try the pressure testing until something is done to seal any open gaps. A while back, I removed the spare tire from underneath trailer, cut out a section of flooring that was wet over the spare, and there was not any caulking at all in the seams, anywhere. I could look down and see the ground through the seams. It would not suprise me to find same problem around refrigerator opening. I'll let ya know and thanks to all.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:32 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
When I replaced my fridge I built a stand out of 2x4's the same height as the lower opening of fridge compartment slid it out with ease .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I don't believe the inside of fridge compartment was ever intended to be watertight. Spraying water in there is not much different than spraying water inside storage compartments, or the entrance door.

We did put some sealant in ours around the mounting screws, gas lines, seams etc just in case some water might blow in during heavy rain. The aluminum frame that holds the fridge access door has a seam at the bottom so I put some sealant on that as well.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocus View Post
I opened lower vent and sprayed rear of refrig and water poured onto cabin floor.. I looked and did not see any sealing material anywhere. I downloaded installation/removal instructions and will attempt removal this weekend. I have to get it out to determine next step. The way it sets now, there is no need to try the pressure testing until something is done to seal any open gaps. A while back, I removed the spare tire from underneath trailer, cut out a section of flooring that was wet over the spare, and there was not any caulking at all in the seams, anywhere. I could look down and see the ground through the seams. It would not suprise me to find same problem around refrigerator opening. I'll let ya know and thanks to all.
Did you cut out a section of the subfloor? Is there any insulation between the subfloor and belly pan over the spare tire area? Was it wet? I'm not sure what Airstream does to seal the belly pan sections. Maybe someone can comment on that.

Kelvin
Old 09-25-2015, 08:36 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
If I remember correctly, the refrigerator compartment should not only be water tight but gas tight. Otherwise CO from combustion could get into interior. Check the installation manual.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:59 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfox45 View Post
When I replaced my fridge I built a stand out of 2x4's the same height as the lower opening of fridge compartment slid it out with ease .
That is a darn good idea. Both my wife and I had back surgery recently and not having to lift refrig too far will make it easier.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:18 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
If I remember correctly, the refrigerator compartment should not only be water tight but gas tight. Otherwise CO from combustion could get into interior. Check the installation manual.

Al
That is exactly what I thought. Another thing that should be watched is the drain from the refrigerator. If that screen ever got clogged up that the hose drains in to, the exact same flooding would occur, in my unit. That is why I want to see what kind of containment device is under the refrig...if any.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:33 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
An easy way to see if you have had moisture in the floor is to remove and look at a few random screws that hold the plastic baseboard strip at the interior perimeter of the floor.

If the screws are shiny the plywood subfloor has been very dry. If dull there may have been a little moisture. If rusty the subfloor has been wet.

A simple moisture inspection, but I would recommend adding a moisture detection meter to your tool kit with sharpened probes to poke through the vinyl into the subfloor on a regular basis.

Set up a routine calendar inspection schedule such as quarterly, inspect all of the Airstream's condition, treat the exterior rivets and panel edges and underbody steel with Corrosion X, touch-up any nicks with clear coat, check that electrical and plumbing systems work properly, clean and wash, and wax with any good polish once a year.
I have the same meter. Looking at the nail I pulled out of the quarter round I installed last year, already has a few nail with rust. I took up the original vinyl and put down tile squares last year. I am going to take that floor up (nothing else to do), in order to get a better reading of what's going on. I never thought about treating the rivets, etc, with Corrosion X or using clear coat on scratches.....will do. I am using liquid Nu Finish and following up with Mothers and that is doing a great job. Calendar good idea also. Thanks
Old 09-25-2015, 04:48 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

Just an observation...as thick as the plywood is; if bottom of the wood is wet, top of wood floor dry, would you get an accurate reading without drilling a hole completely through? In another small area, that is what happened to me. The water seeped between the floor and the insulation attached to bottom of floor and that was the part rotted.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:00 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Quote:

Kelvin
Yeap, I opened the vent door and did the spraying on the back of unit. It was awfully dirty and hosing, I thought, would be best way to clean. And, I observed several stink bugs crawling between the wall and refrigerator bottom and I thought I could possibly flush them out. Maybe, this exercise is a good thing, especially, if there was any danger of gas coming into the trailer. I appreciate all contributions. Thank you all very much
Old 09-26-2015, 07:54 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Quote:
Did you cut out a section of the subfloor? Is there any insulation between the subfloor and belly pan over the spare tire area? Was it wet? I'm not sure what Airstream does to seal the belly pan sections. Maybe someone can comment on that.

Kelvin
I thought I should reply to your post because others might have same problem. I removed small section of plywood floor over spare. Because of the area made for the spare to fit up under the trailer, there is no gap between wooden floor and bottom skin of trailer. What there is, is a thin, metal sheet covering the spare tire area resting on top of trailer frame. I may not be making this clear. I have the wooden floor, setting on the thin insulation, laying on the metal sheet covering the spare area. What I did to alleviate problem is got under trailer and caulked entire seam between metal plate and frame (there was none). And, area was wet and rotted.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:43 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Leak somewhere

left Bambi out in the rain this week to see if I could determine where the water is coming in from. Checking floor today and the wet area has expanded to not only under the refrigerator, but to area across entire front of unit and stretches out, at least a foot toward center of trailer. I checked seams, caulked screw heads (all good) on top over area of refrigerator, both vent doors and area within--dry. I don't know what is under the rolled up canopy, but what I can see, looks good. Believe next step is pulling the refrigerator. I just found another posting about same problem and possibly something will surface from it. Thanks to all.