Old 09-25-2015, 05:33 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
An easy way to see if you have had moisture in the floor is to remove and look at a few random screws that hold the plastic baseboard strip at the interior perimeter of the floor.

If the screws are shiny the plywood subfloor has been very dry. If dull there may have been a little moisture. If rusty the subfloor has been wet.

A simple moisture inspection, but I would recommend adding a moisture detection meter to your tool kit with sharpened probes to poke through the vinyl into the subfloor on a regular basis.

Set up a routine calendar inspection schedule such as quarterly, inspect all of the Airstream's condition, treat the exterior rivets and panel edges and underbody steel with Corrosion X, touch-up any nicks with clear coat, check that electrical and plumbing systems work properly, clean and wash, and wax with any good polish once a year.
I have the same meter. Looking at the nail I pulled out of the quarter round I installed last year, already has a few nail with rust. I took up the original vinyl and put down tile squares last year. I am going to take that floor up (nothing else to do), in order to get a better reading of what's going on. I never thought about treating the rivets, etc, with Corrosion X or using clear coat on scratches.....will do. I am using liquid Nu Finish and following up with Mothers and that is doing a great job. Calendar good idea also. Thanks

Old 09-25-2015, 05:48 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
An easy way to see if you have had moisture in the floor is to remove and look at a few random screws that hold the plastic baseboard strip at the interior perimeter of the floor.

If the screws are shiny the plywood subfloor has been very dry. If dull there may have been a little moisture. If rusty the subfloor has been wet.

A simple moisture inspection, but I would recommend adding a moisture detection meter to your tool kit with sharpened probes to poke through the vinyl into the subfloor on a regular basis.

Set up a routine calendar inspection schedule such as quarterly, inspect all of the Airstream's condition, treat the exterior rivets and panel edges and underbody steel with Corrosion X, touch-up any nicks with clear coat, check that electrical and plumbing systems work properly, clean and wash, and wax with any good polish once a year.

Just an observation...as thick as the plywood is; if bottom of the wood is wet, top of wood floor dry, would you get an accurate reading without drilling a hole completely through? In another small area, that is what happened to me. The water seeped between the floor and the insulation attached to bottom of floor and that was the part rotted.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:00 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
You mentioned hosing off the back of the refrigerator. You took a water hose and sprayed water on the vent covers? If you open the lower vent you should be able to see if the fridge box is sealed around the edges.

It shouldn't be too hard to slide the fridge out but I haven't done one yet. The Dometic instructions make it sound simple; disconnect the 12v/120v connections and propane line. Remove the front mounting screws and pull it out. You may need to get a 2nd person to help you lift it down to the floor and a piece of carpet.

You could then seal the box maybe coat the bottom with a sealer

Kelvin
Yeap, I opened the vent door and did the spraying on the back of unit. It was awfully dirty and hosing, I thought, would be best way to clean. And, I observed several stink bugs crawling between the wall and refrigerator bottom and I thought I could possibly flush them out. Maybe, this exercise is a good thing, especially, if there was any danger of gas coming into the trailer. I appreciate all contributions. Thank you all very much
Old 09-26-2015, 08:54 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Did you cut out a section of the subfloor? Is there any insulation between the subfloor and belly pan over the spare tire area? Was it wet? I'm not sure what Airstream does to seal the belly pan sections. Maybe someone can comment on that.

Kelvin
I thought I should reply to your post because others might have same problem. I removed small section of plywood floor over spare. Because of the area made for the spare to fit up under the trailer, there is no gap between wooden floor and bottom skin of trailer. What there is, is a thin, metal sheet covering the spare tire area resting on top of trailer frame. I may not be making this clear. I have the wooden floor, setting on the thin insulation, laying on the metal sheet covering the spare area. What I did to alleviate problem is got under trailer and caulked entire seam between metal plate and frame (there was none). And, area was wet and rotted.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:43 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Leak somewhere

left Bambi out in the rain this week to see if I could determine where the water is coming in from. Checking floor today and the wet area has expanded to not only under the refrigerator, but to area across entire front of unit and stretches out, at least a foot toward center of trailer. I checked seams, caulked screw heads (all good) on top over area of refrigerator, both vent doors and area within--dry. I don't know what is under the rolled up canopy, but what I can see, looks good. Believe next step is pulling the refrigerator. I just found another posting about same problem and possibly something will surface from it. Thanks to all.