Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #1

1962 26' Overlander
Long Beach , California
Flooring replacement and removing under panels

Hi all! I just bought my 1962 Overlander 26" and have begun the wonderful process of restoration and boy oh boy am in over my head! I have the dedication and love of Airstreams to make it through but I need some help. I have torn everything out and I am down to the floor. I need to replace the plywood because there is water damage. I see that the floor is bolted to the frame. I have searched the forum and every picture that I have seen has the under panels removed but I have no idea how to go about doing that. Can anyone help me out?
AArchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weirton , West Virginia
Welcome to the community!
If you check this thread, http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ins-67532.html you will see an outstanding job and have a very good idea of how to properly replace the floor. Good luck on your project.
wannabefulltime'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
That's a very good one to read for shell off! He's a brave man to raise a 31 footer!
We were more chicken, and did our's shell-on. Here's the link http://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...urb-50967.html

Everything is riveted so it's a matter of drilling out rivets to release. You will need to take the lower inner skins off to access the C channel to get the bolts and screws that hold the sandwich of the frame, floor, and C channel/trailer walls together. Some people have left the belly pan in place to do this, but we did remove ours (warning - not a fun job).
If you run into problems or questions - post pictures and ask! There's lots of help on the forums, and lots of us doing what you're doing in various stages. Feel free to PM us also!
Good Luck!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:08 AM   #4

1962 26' Overlander
Long Beach , California
I really appreciate the help! I will post photos soon to show what I am working with and my slow but steady progress!
Old 10-17-2010, 05:23 AM   #5
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hi here is the link to my shell off restoration.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ins-67532.html
There will be some differences between your 60's unit and my 73. Most evrything is the same.
Minno I don't know about brave maybe stubborn and foolhearty. BTW in typical male fashion size doesn't matter in shell off work. If it went on the floor/frame it can come off. Actually is was surprisingly easy to lift the shell and also very easy to put it back on. It just takes a lot of time, actually a huge lot of time.
When your'e ready to dive in feel free to ask question and I will answer.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
used to have rivets

1953 25' Cruiser
1967 24' Tradewind
Sacramento , California
I have a '52 Crusier and am doing a shell off. I took a sample of the original floor and it looks to be 1/2". But everyone talks about 3/4. What have you found, and what will you be using?
TooMuchTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #7

1962 26' Overlander
Long Beach , California
I am going to use 3/4. That is what I see the most of. The big discussion I've see is between Marine plywood and regular plain ol stuff. I think I am going to with the regular stuff. That Marine seems really expensive an I believe you can prep the normal plywood so it is similarly weather treated? I think.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Some have treated the flooring with clear penetrating epoxy sealant. It is stinky but works well. Especially a marine grade.

I am lucky on my 4 Airstreams, I have not needed a shell off- amazingly even my 66 has a sound frame and very little rot in the flooring. I am epoxying all around the edges anyway.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
1985 31' Excella
1969 29' Ambassador
Crescent , Oklahoma
Plywood

The only difference in marine grade plywood and a good sheathing type plywood is marine grade plywood has no voids in the inner plies witch will hold moisture in a marine setting causing rot from inside out. The glues are the same and niether is treated. Treated plywood (green) is treated for insects but not moisture. I learned this while researching for a transom and floor rebuild on a boat. Marine and normal will both work, treated will shrink and I would'nt want it in a living space.
lahrfarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, panel, under panels, water damage, floor repair