1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIU Bound
Arjo:

I agree what was posted about having the tools. I bought chinese made tools from a store in the U.S. called harbor freight. If you are not going to be using these tools everyday for the rest of your life I would not buy expensive tools. Get a complete set of wrenches, sockets, drill, jig saw, hand grinder, and a rivet gun.

SIU bound

Brian
Okay now, sorry in advance... I totally disagree. That store called Harbor Freight is a total rip off. I STRONGLY encourage all of the readers of this to not spend a penny at that store. I have been 100% unhappy with 100% of anything and everything I bought. A prime example is the metal shears. They were bought on sale for $12.49. The Milwaukee shears are about $179. Good savings, right? Well, it is a great savings if cutting a straight line is not important. Those shears will not cut a straight line for anything... so, I take them back, not 100% satisfied, and get a new pair. Same results. I borrow my neighbor Nicks Milwaukee shears.... wish my table saw cut such nice lines. I am a woodworker, I build furniture and cabinets, and brother, I can cut straight. Harbor freight shears will not. The tool is junk.
7" Polisher, $19.95. On sale now for $14.95... in a kit with bonnets and pads and a wrench. The arbors wobbles so badly that you will need carpal tunnel surgery before the first cut is done.
To each his own, but I personally suggest that you buy the best quality tool once and have it for the rest of your life. To know that it will work well every time,is worth the extra money.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:40 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I am sorry you have had bad luck with the tools

I can empathsize with being frustrated over tools that do not function properly. I bought a recipocating saw from harbor freight and it broke after one year of using it 5 times. I took it back and they replaced no questions asked. I guess I had a nice sales person. Otherwise everything I have bought from them has worked fine. Again I consider the cost of renting, paying a contractor, and expensive tools. Harbor freight tools are cheaper then renting and cheaper then a contractor. I have gambled with harbor freight and it has paid off. I bought a side shaft engine for my rototiller and that thing has worked wonderfully. I teach school and I bought a set of harbor freight tools for my class years ago. They have been used and abused and they have stilled held up.

I certainly understand the need for quality, but when you can't afford the nicer stuff you have to figure out what will work.

SIU Bound

Brian

Old 04-28-2008, 06:45 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
Adrian,

Actually taking off the inner skins mostly just takes time to remove each rivet. Just take your time and it should work out OK.

Malcolm
Hi Malcolm,
Yeah I'm pretty much reconciled to it now. I start next week & will keep every one up to speed.
Ta
Adrian
Old 04-28-2008, 06:51 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
As I recall most of the interior rivets can be fairly short since they just go through the inner skin and the body ribs. I think most of mine were in the range of 3/8" long.

Malcolm
Cheers Malcolm - I'll stop bugging you with stupid questions for a while now. Thanks for all your help.
Adrian
Old 04-28-2008, 06:53 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
Hello,

My hubby did a frame off restoration and you may want to as well. The electrical systems are very inadequate in a trailer your vintage, not to mention about a zillion other things. It is doable. Hubby never did one before. Here is a link to his thread, he has lots of pictures and diagrams and discussions on the various issues and questions. Get a cup of coffee and have a long read!

Good luck on your project ~ when finished, it will be awesome! Here is the thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...mbi-17925.html

The best advice I can give... take digital photos of everything, from every angle, and take more than you think you would ever want while disassembling items. They will be a valuable resource when reassemble time comes around!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
Hi,
Thanks for all the help - this forum is amazing & I don't know where I'd have got without it
Adrian
Old 04-28-2008, 06:57 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIU Bound
Arjo:

Can you take some pictures of the rotted areas and post them? I bought my airstream thinking it was in great shape and when I removed the carpet I found a rotted floor. Once I started making repairs I found out it was not all that bad. Just the back end was rotted out.

I agree what was posted about having the tools. I bought chinese made tools from a store in the U.S. called harbor freight. If you are not going to be using these tools everyday for the rest of your life I would not buy expensive tools. Get a complete set of wrenches, sockets, drill, jig saw, hand grinder, and a rivet gun.

SIU bound

Brian
Hi Brian,
I can certainly send some photos. It sounds like my problems are pretty common around the bath/shower. I think I just paniced when I saw how much there was to do, but that's life. It's got to be done & there's an end to it.
I'll get those photos out soon
Ta
Adrian