Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Kansas
It's my friend's dads. He has a lot of stuff. Is there anyway we can put a new floor in it?
yolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
The short answer is: Yes. Yes, you can put a new floor in this trailer.
It's not a small task: the floor extends all the way under the upper shell. In order to replace the floor you will need to temporarily remove the shell (everything above the floor.) It's doable, though. We did it. Many others before us have done it.

If it's too big of a job then you might be surprised to know that you could probably find a buyer for this trailer without replacing the floor. The trailer's age makes it more desirable. Many people who buy a trailer this age would expect to have to replace the floor.

If you decide to tackle the floor then you can find lots of resources here on the forums. You should look for "shell off restoration" or "shell on restoration."

It's a pretty trailer!
Old 02-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Kansas
Would Plywood under and over the rotted wood work? My friend asked.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Red Rock , Texas
If all you are doing is hanging out in it then some plywood on top should work for a while.

Its a cool trailer. Since its gutted, replacing the floor properly shouldn't be all that hard. Especially if you have a few guys working on it.

Its a cool trailer, any Idea what he'd sell it for?
junkyardawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
I have a similar trailer also, a 1954 26'cruiser and it was not in much better shape. They are rare, so quite a few people looking for them. If you are not going to pull it down the road, a temporary floor over the top could be fine. The way the floor is now the trailer is not very stable for the road. Have fun with it!

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
How would you put plywood under the rotted wood?
By removing the belly pan (aluminum under the trailer)?
Old 02-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Kansas
Some of the tin is fallen off. As you can see in the pictures.. look close. I didnt like that idea to great either.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Kansas
Tinman.. We arent going to pull this anywhere anytime close. So what do you think our best bet is?
Old 02-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #29
x

XXXX , XXXX
If you want my opinion that is pretty close to the worst floor I've ever seen in an airstream. Yes slapping a few sheets of plywood on top of what's there will give you a spot to hang out in. The shell is in reasonable condition but if your father's friend ever wants to get any money out of it either you replace the entire floor properly now before it rots away completely and the shell falls down which will damage it or sell it now and get a cheap white box trailer as a hang out spot. The "tin" belly pan which is actually aluminium falling down is usually an indication that the frame is rusting out and if it fails from you guys hanging out in it the once again whats left of the shell will be really damaged.
It's a terrible shame to see such a great old trailer just rotting away like that.
Like others have said that particular trailer is getting harder to find. the thirteen panel end cap trailers are highly sought after units.
What you can sell it for as is will get you a usable white box trailer intact with functioning lights, appliances etc.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolo View Post
Tinman.. We arent going to pull this anywhere anytime close. So what do you think our best bet is?
Yolo, I agree with what Cris said, if just looking for a hang out spot it would be far less work to sell it and buy a usable trailer. There are people that would drive a long ways for that trailer, it just needs to be advertised. I think a lot of people on here follow this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...nds-37064.html Chris seems to like collecting them maybe he wants another??

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
What you can sell it for as is will get you a usable white box trailer intact with functioning lights, appliances etc.
With it's own soft floor.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
I replaced my floor without removing the shell. The basic problem is that the floor is about 2' wider than the inside. Here's the basics of what I did; I "sistered" 3" aluminum angle to the frame to make the surface supporting the floor 3" wider. I ripped (cut lengthwise) a sheet marine plywood and treated it with a deck treatment. The pieces were approx 18" wide if I recall. This was the distance from inside the wall channel to the middle of my new wider frame. These 18" wide pieces were installed FIRST from inside the trailer with the outer edge fitting into the channel. What remained was approx a 5' space between them with exposed frame rails. Another sheet of marine ply 5' wide and dropped onto the rails. I bolted and/or screwed the three pieces down. Then I moved onto the next section. Oh, I did remove the lower wall panels so I could access the channel to install those fasteners. I only replaced the front and rear sections as needed.
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #33
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman54 View Post
Chris seems to like collecting them maybe he wants another??
No thanks I`m done collecting trailers. I just don`t want to see this one go to waste.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #34
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
With it's own soft floor.
You can buy three SOB`s with soft floors for what this one would sell for.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #35
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
My vote is... for what you're looking for, keep it where it is, and what it is.

Don't punch it full of holes & screws, don't take windows out, or cut open roof hatches. Add a layer of plywood inside so you can walk around, run an extension cord in through the hole in the floor for some lights and a mini-fridge, set up a poker table... and have fun!

It ought to hold its value down the road if it's not irreversibly altered. And in the meantime it's just about the coolest hang out spot you could have. But do remember the ones from that era are getting more rare all the time - keeping it in as original shape as possible is a great idea. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Kansas
Thank you all for your help. I think we'll just end up putting some nice plywood on top. And later on sell it. Sound like it will work?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo View Post
My vote is... for what you're looking for, keep it where it is, and what it is.

Don't punch it full of holes & screws, don't take windows out, or cut open roof hatches. Add a layer of plywood inside so you can walk around, run an extension cord in through the hole in the floor for some lights and a mini-fridge, set up a poker table... and have fun!

It ought to hold its value down the road if it's not irreversibly altered. And in the meantime it's just about the coolest hang out spot you could have. But do remember the ones from that era are getting more rare all the time - keeping it in as original shape as possible is a great idea. Just my 2 cents.
I agree!
Old 02-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Kansas
How much would a trailer that beat up even sell for?
Should we use two layers of plywood on top?