Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Abbotsford , British Columbia
Floor replacement with checker plate

Has anyone gone with a 1/8 checker plate floor?
Argosy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:43 AM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Are you nuts!

The whole point of trailering isn't to add major weight but reduce weight as much as possible. Why in the world would you add 1/8" checker plate to your floor?

Please add more information. Are you trying to replace the subfloor due to rot and you're thinking of just adding 1/8" checker plate instead of the existing subfloor? There are many other flooring or subfloor materials out there that will be durable and light.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
One would assume you are referring to aluminum diamond plate.
Are you putting it on top of the wooden sub floor?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Well, nuts I may be .The plan is to to replace the floor in Aluminum 1/8 checker. I will probably retain the 2x4 stringers. Weight isn't really a concern. My 22 foot Argosy's GVW is 3600 I believe. Two new 3500 lb axels gives me a little wiggle room. Oddly aluminum checker plate is 2lb per sq/ft where as 3/4 plywood is 2.13 lbs and marine grade plywood is 2.62 lbs. I'm not sure if this has been done but as the picture shows I'm replacing the belly pan with 1/8 aluminum checker plate as as well. I'm building this trailer as a over lander. As you can see in the picture the pan has been dropped 7 1/2 inches between the framerails. I've read on the forum the shell sports the frame and the frame supports the shell. So far I have not been too Impressed with the frame. The frame is light and the rivets that connect the skin to the frame were mostly compromise by too thin of material. Most trailers seem to have rotten floors even the new ones. The camber in the belly will add structural strength among the length of the frame. Sort of like the strength of a boat hull.The 22 footer all has very minimal overhangs. Bulkheads at the frame crossmember will connect the pan to the frame. This should create boxed sections which will further strengthen the frame. This will add around 400 lbs. The drop will give me 11 1/2 inches of clear space between the frame minus what I add for insulation. The plan is to add hatches in the floor to access the space for storage. I'm planning in installing the tanks as low as possible to lower the centre of gravity. This will compensate for the 45 degree drop axels. I'll try to save as much weight as possible minimizing the interior cabinetry . I'm not a fan of the upper cabinets so I will be delete as many as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0119.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	361.3 KB
ID:	282228   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0118.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	370.9 KB
ID:	282229  

Old 03-28-2017, 04:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
[emoji3]

Go on and be nuts then!

The creativity of this group is awesome!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
And did you build the little trailer in the background too?

So your plan is to just use the aluminum and not use plywood? That should make for a real "spring in your step" when you walk the length of the trailer. I might recommend a center support the length, just to eliminate.

While I see you haven't actually attached anything yet, it doesn't look like you have a barrier material between the dissimilar metals?

I like the concept, you should post the whole process to an online gallery so it can be followed, blog maybe...
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:28 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Love the creative process. I just finished building the trailer in the back. It is part of what's left of a wrecked 2014 Bambi sport I picked up for parts. In the argosy between the frame rails it is recessed 1 1/2 inches where they ran 2x4 stringers the length of the trailer. I can't remember if they were 24 or 16 inch on centre. The belly so far is being roughed in. Once I figure out what modifications I need to do to the frame I'll properly separate the metals when I attach it. I'll start a thread as soon as I figure out how. Progress has been slow. Hopefully it will stop raining soon so I can get something done. Thanks for the support. It's a daunting process
Old 03-28-2017, 10:32 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Pardon my ignorance but what is a online gallery and how would one go about setting one up
Old 04-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
I like the creative process myself. I changed the floor plan on my argosy and dropped the tanks below the floor too. I also re-engineered the frame/floor/she'll connection. The floor is now completely removable independent of the shell. Plus I didn't like the overlapping of the belly pan. So that had to change too- now it underlaps like it should. Great build. We all love lots of pics. Argosy have the doudle 2x4 stringers down the center like you pointed out so the aluminum plate should be fine. Cold but fine
Old 04-10-2017, 03:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
An online gallery is a good place to store your photos so that when on different forums or anywhere else you can just link to them, this way you control everything, if you post directly to the forum you will run into size and quantity limits. I've used PBase for at least a decade for weddings, events, and access, some of the other ones are free though. Blogs are good if your a story teller and have one to tell, then you can get tons of people following you and make some money from ads on the site, there are a few here doing renovations with blogs.

How to start a blog LINK

Photo gallery PBase LINK

Photo gallery Flickr LINK

Photo gallery Smugmug LINK
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Thanks for the info.