Old 02-10-2018, 06:49 PM   #1

1972 31' Sovereign
Seattle , Washington
Floor Replacement Question

Doing a shell-on floor replacement as it's just me working on this project and I'm ready to replace the floor. The front half of the floor was removed some time ago and the back half of the subfloor is still intact. Unfortunately there is significant amount of sag in the front section so that the new subfloor (3/4" plywood) is higher than the C-channel as seen in the first picture below. I have tried to jack up the shell in order to insert the floor but this resulted in bowing out instead of lifting up (second photo). Any suggestions to get the floor back into the C-channel?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	not level.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	303913   Click image for larger version

Name:	bowed.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	303914  

nseeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado and welcome to Air Forums. Boy, you've been busy. Folks have successfully replaced the subfloor a 4' section at a time. I have not done the job myself, but I'm hopeful someone who has will join in.

How "loose" is your body (shell) to the frame? To dig out the old subfloor from the C channel you likely removed all the bolts at the outriggers. And there is the front body plate, and the rear body plate that are riveted to the body and bolted to the frame. Your hard pressed to lift the body if it is still bolted to the frame.

The deformed C channel I should think could be bent back to shape. Do you have access to the outriggers? Maybe the belly pan and the body wraps are detached. If so, maybe you could make a wooden 7/8" wedge and tap it between the outrigger and the C channel to gain a little subfloor clearance. And you might be able to round the corners of the subfloor edges to they can slip in more easily.

As you know, Airstream bodies are quite flimsy by themselves. Same with the frame. It becomes quite strong once bolted together.

I was just thinking out loud. I have a 75 Overlander 27' with rear end separation and some rust on the frame that I'm working on. But the subfloor is solid enough except the rear 10" of it, which was easy to replace.

David

WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:28 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
My 1986 subfloor was routed out on the top to fit the channel. You could do that.

Most folks use a cleat in a glue and screw arrangement to marry tow halves together.

If you are not using carpet again, I would suggest you add steel frame parts to minimize the subfloor spans, to something that would keep everything level so you can meet the level spec for your new flooring.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussel , Oklahoma
Here's pic of the method I used to lift the shell while I replaced the subfloor:

Be gentle. The bottle jacks are powerful and you only need to lift high enough to slide your plywood under the C channel.