Old 10-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1991 34' Limited
Teeswater , Ontario
Floor replacement project

We've been living in our Airstream for almost a year now, and when we first moved in, I noticed a damp floor (which led to a 1 foot square hole after I delved further), which concerned me. To give a bit of background, we have a 34 foot Classic 1991 which had been renovated when we bought it off of eBay. there was no mention of the floor, and regardless, it's our issue now. Which means tering out all the faux sued wall coverings and faux wood floor covering under our now King sized bed, which was once two singles and has the appropriate separators underneath still. We have no idea where the leak is coming in from, which is #1 in even contemplating repairing the floor, I think. In addition, we found another damp spot on the floor underneath our renoed couch which isn't as severe but still concerns me. It's not far back from the front right electric jack.

Now my husband wants to repair the floor himself, with no experience with renovations or woodwork, apart from a bit of research at the Airstream factory in questioning the staff. He has about 2 weeks to do this before we head south for the winter. I'm trying to do lots of internet research myself for the project, but the more I read, the more nervous I get. We realize that he'll have to rip apart our existing bed and the reno work done in that part of the trailer. It also means finding a new home for that time period whilst he works in the cold, possibly with the help of a woodworking friend. Hubby evens wants to tear it up just to do an initial inspection. If the job is too big, we end up with a mess, regardless of repair or not.

I'm thinking that it best be left to the Airstream factory guys to tackle. They quoted us about $5000. Any suggestions, ideas or recommendations?

I really don't want to pay that kind of money but at the same time, I don't want my husband to start a job he can't finish, leaving us with a mediocre living space until next June when we could take it to the factory!

skydiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member
1991 34' Limited
Teeswater , Ontario
PS Does the underneath belly pan need to be removed to get at the floor?

ALSO, hubby wants to try to get a dent out of the outer skin during this project.
skydiva is offline   Reply With Quote

renovation, water damage, floor repair