Yreka , California
At 105 let's make it a long week end!

Old 01-13-2006, 07:46 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
In to next step - flip

Well I've completed my gantry grain chain hoist setup. I decided that I was too old and the concrete was too cold to crawl under the trailer and work. So I built my lift system. Like in the old airstream pics. Now I'm ready to install the insulation and the belly pans. I'v included some of the flipped pictures.
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	btm on sid fnt2.jpg.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	17640   Click image for larger version

Name:	upsddn bk1.jpg.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	17641  

Name:	upsddn ft2.jpg.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	17642   Click image for larger version

Name:	upsddnnlft.jpg.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	17643  

Old 01-13-2006, 07:59 PM   #115
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
And here I thought I was a freak with this stuff.
Bravo, Don!
Old 01-13-2006, 08:09 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
I like people who call it the way they see it. Thanks for the positive input.
I take that as a complement coming from Uwe!
Old 01-14-2006, 08:09 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Belly foam insulation

I'm installing foam for insulation in the belly section of out Bambi. I've decided to do this for a couple of reasons. 1. When I took the belly pans off I found several large bee nests. I want the cavity completely filled with material as a attempt to keep all maner of critters out of the trailer. We'll see. 2. By shaping the foam to match the shape of the aluminum skins I will have greater support under the metal. This should help in the resurfacing of the aluminum. I'm reusing the old belly pans because the metal is still in pretty good condition. They mainly need to be cleaned up and resurfaced. 3. It also gives me an opportunity to put go good use some of my sculpture skills.
Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	blyfmshape1.jpg.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	17662   Click image for larger version

Name:	blyfmshape3.jpg.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	17663  

Name:	blyfmshape4.jpg.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	17664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 024.jpg.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	17665  

Old 01-14-2006, 08:36 PM   #118
Site Team

, Minnesota
Don,

I did mine the same way. . .

Until my wife caught me. . .

using her electric carving knife to shape the insulation!
Old 01-18-2006, 02:46 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Progress report

I have continued to install the foam on the belly of the trailer. Hopefully I will have the belly finished and flip the trailer back on its wheels in a week. Also I have been working on the Ideas for installation of the insulation of the shell walls. First a picture of current progress.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	136
ID:	17728  
Old 01-18-2006, 03:16 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Inner Wall condensation and insulation

Well here goes! I am really looking for your thoughts and ideas, good or bad, on these ideas. This is going to take several posts to explain and diagram the entire idea.
Some basic thoughts that have influenced this design. 1. Cold Metal and moisture in the air is a real consideration in the airstresm. 2. In another thread a person had mentioned that panel experiments had been done by them and they had discovered that the inside temperature of the Airstream shell can easily reach 140+ degrees. 3. Extreme temperature variations between the inside of the trailer and the outside world can create some interesting conditions. 4. Can any of these things be addressed or are we just at the mercy of Mother Nature?

I have looked at many of your threads and the ideas you have applied to your restorations. I have taken many of these ideas and made modifications.

Many have used "Reflectix" insulation in the walls with an air space on either side. This seemed like a good idea to me because it forms two air spaces on either side of the Reflectix insulation. In the discussions on Inner wall condensation thread two items seemed to be keep coming up. !. Air circulation and heat control.

I have used the two air spaces with a Reflectix insulation barrier to create three spaces. The following change I made was to take the outside space and create an air flow circulation pattern. This was done to hopefully help in the removal of condensation moisture. I am adding a new material that I have found. The material is "Dura Cool". It is a filter that has been designed for swamp coolers. It is a relative new material that has some very interesting properties. I am going to do further research on this product. I hope to include a web page or additional information in future threads.
Following is a cross section diagram to illustrate the material. Following will be several posts showing details with further explanation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bamgi Wall Ventelation 1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	17729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bamgi Wall Ventelation 2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	17730  

Old 01-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Lower wall section diagrom

In this diagram you can see the bluish "Dura Cool" filter material in the outside air space. This material is rigid enough to help keep the space between the outside shell and the "Reflectix" insulation foam in place. It also has an amazing freedom of air flow through it. This will be sealed around the edges with caulking. The "Reflectix" will also be caulked around the edges to provide a seal. The small vent that is placed in the outside skin is a kitchen sink faucet aerator. It has a fine screen in it to prevent bugs from entering the space. It is my plan to include LED lighting in each of these vents. They will provide extra clearance ,decorative, lighting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bambi Wall Segment raytrace.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	17731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bambi Wall Segment outside.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	17732  

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	17733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Views:	123
ID:	17734  

Old 01-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Top Wall Circulation Diagrom

Next is the modification to the top vent area of Airstreams. I was looking for a way to allow the air form the outside air, of the wall, space to escape to the outside air. This presented several problems. 1. Making more hole in the outside of the trailer could only lead to more water leaks. And I didn't see any way to control these vents without major modifications. I tried to keep in mind the KISS principle. 2. The existing vent could provide some control. 3. the facet aerators could easily be covered with a plastic or rubber cap to gain control. Following are diagrams of the modifications to the top vent area. The facet aerators will also have LED lighting for mood.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bambi Ceiling 1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	17735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bambi Ceiling 2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	17736  

Name:	Bambi Ceiling 3.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	17737  
Old 01-18-2006, 03:47 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Insulation diagram explanation

In the diagrams both the "Reflectix" and the "Dura Cool" have been moved back to allow good view of the parts and their insulation. In the actual insulation both products will fill the extire area.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:58 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
How does it work?

Here is how I hope it will work. First winter time, The inside of the trailer is heated. When it is cold enough outside to cause condensation the top vent should be opened just a crack. As the hot air from the inside of the trailer raises out of the vent it will move past the faucet vents and cause a slight vacuum. This vacuum will draw air and moisture from the outer wall space and hopefully help reduce condensation. This should also work when the sun is shining on the outside of the trailer. The heated air in the space will rise and escape through the vent. Small rubber caps can be placed over the faucet ends to seal and stop the air flow when desired. I am currently working on some diagrams to explain how this system may provide some solar heating as well. They will come later.

I will appreciate you thought and or ideas.
Don
Old 01-18-2006, 03:59 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
start on post 144

Move down 6 posts to follow my progression.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:21 PM   #126
4 Rivet Member

Wow, that is a great airstream flipper you have, I want one! I spent a good couple weeks on my back sticking insulation up into the bottom cavity and shaping, then the belly pan... It will be so much easier upside down like you have it.

I am interested in the Dura Cool material - is it rigid? Expensive? How will you attach the dura cool to the wall and the reflectix to the dura cool?

I used reflectix... When I was rebuilding I was able to see the amount of condensation on the ceiling in the morning - when I started putting in the insulation I realized only the inside-most layer would have condensation - so if reflectix was installed I would get condensation on the surface of the insulation, but if I peeled it back I would have no condensation in that trapped air space. I am not sure what to think of this - I thought maybe the trapped air space was fairly vapor-stable and didn't have that much moisture - or that it was temperature buffered (the outside airspace would be enough like the outside temperature).

I am still not sure what to make of that but think I have a LOT less condensation on my wood interior than I would on an aluminum interior. Only my rivets condense water. Is your main concern for the rotting of the edges of your floorboards?

Anyway, I like your operation here - I think this forum is full of researchers and it is fun to watch.

Carlos Ferguson