Old 10-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #575

Bessemer , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi View Post
We recently purchased a 1963 Bambi. All is in good condition except the floor... the Bambi is nearly gutted and we will soon be ready to replace floor. Any and all advice by someone who has done this before would be very welcome! Also interested in knowing the best way to "lift" the body off. Can it be suspended while working on flooring? What did you do that worked for you? Thanks for any and all help!
Hello, I'm doing the same thing except my Bambi is a 1962. The floor is so badly rotted out in mine, that I can't even make a template. Does anyone have or know where to get a template for the floor?

Thanks,
J.Pearson

Old 10-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #576
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
If you can make a template that fits to the inside of the walls, you will have something pretty accurate to go from. Of course you would need to enlarge the template to get the full-size floor template. It goes under the walls in my Safari 1-1/2" so I enlarged my template by exactly that much. It fit better than the original did. You must make your templates before you seperate the shell from the frame or you will lose the shape. I made a template for each corner and measured between the corner templates for the over-all size of the floor template, rather than trying to make a full-size one piece template.

Don, how's the project coming along?

Rich the Viking

Old 10-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #577

Bessemer , Alabama
Part of my problem is that the corners of my floor are so unequal, because whoever owned it last tried to fix where the floor was completely gone with spray foam and some of the panels had been replaced.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #578
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Hey, welcome to the forum!
I just noticed how many posts you have here. It's good to have you aboard. Don(Norcalbambi) has better experience with your type Airstream than I do, but I'll relate what I know from my experiences.

In '64 they had formed corner U-channel pieces that were not very flexible. I don't know if that's the case with the earlier ones. If so, you could remove the interior paneling and make your template right against the piece of U-channel, then add 1-1/2" to it. If the floor is repaired with spray foam that will all have to be removed anyway, so I would just go for it. Cut it off flush with the floor, or just dig it out so you can make your templates.
If you can post pics of your exact situation it would be helpful. Otherwise it's just my best guess as to what you are dealing with.

If you want to see some pics of my situation, click on my blog link. It hasn't been updated lately but shows some of what you are going to be getting into.

Rich the Viking
Old 10-26-2009, 12:13 PM   #579
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Howdy, sorry I haven't answered earlier. I've been away on a trip to Asia. My floor was in bad shape also. How far away are you from Northern California? I might be able to help you with some pattern ideas. Can you post some pictures of you floor and inside of the trailer? I just notices you are quite a ways away. The one thing i've noticed on working on these trailers is that they are custom made products. That means that each one is a little different form the other. So what ever pattern you make or get there is going to be some difference in the shape. My old floor was good enough that I was able to make a pattern. However when I first brought the shell back in contact with the new floor they did not match. I was lucky enough that the new floor was a little larger that I needed. So I was able to make some changes and refit the shell. Using the "U" channel for pattern is a good idea but they can get bent and be slightly out of shape as well. Be prepared for a match and refit process. I currently redoing a floor for a 55 Flying Cloud. I've spent a lot more time checking shapes and making patterns however I'm sure I'll have to make some changes once the shell comes in contact with the new floor. If the floor is too small in some places, shims could be used to make up the difference in size. The shims should be use to make only small changes. Again these are custom creations and always require fit and refit. I'm sure there are some re-builders who are better craftsmen that I am. Maybe they can make it fit the first time. My skill and craftsmenship seems to require some cheat factor.
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpearson View Post
Part of my problem is that the corners of my floor are so unequal, because whoever owned it last tried to fix where the floor was completely gone with spray foam and some of the panels had been replaced.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #580
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Tire separation damage

Well we had a tire lose most of its tread when we were almost home. There was a strip of tread apx. 2 to 3" inches wide and about 2' long that didn't come loose from the tire. It managed to wipe around until I got stopped and off of the highway. It did damage to the belly pan. Here is the thing I found of interest. When I did the restoration I put hard insulation foam under the floor and between the belly pan for insulation. It greatly reduced the damage to the trailer when the tire came apart. I would suggest that everyone consider the foam during restoration. For this reason as well. That rubber whip that was slapping around should have done much greater damage. I an including some pictures of the damage so you can make your own judgment
Don.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	95823   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	95824  

Name:	003.jpg
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	95825   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	95826  

NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #581
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
That's great!
Well, for a blow-out anyway. I can't believe how well that held up, Don. From the look of it you might have lost the whole wheel well and outrigger if that rubber strip had punctured the belly skin and wrapped around the outrigger. I'm totally sold on the rigid foam now.
Thanks for sharing that.
Rich the Viking
Old 02-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #582
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
What about the concept of putting a steel plate on the belly skin just aft of the tire, where you show the most damage? Not as a fix for you, but as a precaution as most of us cannot add ridged foam with out more work than desired.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #583
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Tire tread separation

I thought I'd share a couple pictures of the tire as well. What is it that makes trailer tires such a problem? This tire was less than a year old. And the tire pressure was right on. Any engineers out there who can explain why trailer tires have such a bad name. I know stuff happens, look at Toyota. But in my years of driving, more years that I really want to count, I've had way more trailer tire problems than I have had on cars, trucks and plains.
Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tire separation 2.jpg
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	95831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire seperation 1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	95832  

Old 02-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #584
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi View Post
I thought I'd share a couple pictures of the tire as well. What is it that makes trailer tires such a problem? This tire was less than a year old. And the tire pressure was right on. Any engineers out there who can explain why trailer tires have such a bad name. I know stuff happens, look at Toyota. But in my years of driving, more years that I really want to count, I've had way more trailer tire problems than I have had on cars, trucks and plains.
Don
Have you been buying radials or bias ply tires ?
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:05 AM   #585
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
I believe Bias ply. I've always asked for trailer tires. That must be my problem?
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson View Post
Have you been buying radials or bias ply tires ?
Old 02-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #586
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Radial tires

After further research with my trailer and it's tires, here is where things are at the moment. The street side tire on the trailer is a Carlisle ST 2057/750 14. It has been there for some time and is in good condition an has never been a problem. The tire that came apart I will be double checking again today. My spare tire is a ST 2057/ 75012 which by the number suggests that it is also a radial. But I'm not sure of the maker. All the tires I have put on this trailer have been from Les Schwab. This is the third incident we have had with tires on the curb side of the trailer. Two of these have been caused by poor tires. I'm beginning to think that maybe during on of these problems the tire was switched to a Bias ply tire.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:14 AM   #587
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Never too old to learn something new. All my trailer tires were Bias. I've replaced them with Radials.
Don
Old 02-11-2010, 12:09 PM   #588
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Don, I also have Carlisles on my Safari. I better check them more closely.
Thanks for the heads-up!
Rich the Viking

PS I enjoyed following you to Baha on the forums. Hopefully I'll join you next time.