Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-04-2009, 10:44 PM   #561
Rivet Master
 
NorCal Bambi's Avatar
 
1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,313
Images: 21
Compressor died

We still have the original compressor for the water pressure. It quit on our last trip. Darol Ingalls had given us a couple of old compressors form trailer he had restored. I use one of the 12V motors from one and our pump is back in order. THANKS TO DAROL. It even runs quieter than before. We've put over 30,000 on our trailer sence rebuild, so that's not bad. That is the original trailer compressor. Some cleanup and we are ready for the first of the season rally. Hurray!!!
Don
__________________

__________________
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:43 AM   #562
Rivet Master
 
NorCal Bambi's Avatar
 
1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,313
Images: 21
Changes

I'm putting the sheet foam under the 55 Flying cloud like what I did here to our Bambi. However I'm not flipping the Cloud. I'm using a spray clue to attach the foam and then shaping. This seems to be working well so far. I'm also using penetrating epoxy on all end grain of the floor on the Cloud and I've use a Vulcum like adhesive to glue as well as bolt the floor to the frame. Both frames showed rust on the top of the frame from water standing between the frame and the wood of the floor. By gluing the floor on the frame as well as bolts might help solve this problem. Any comments on this from the rest of your Airstream restorers out there?
Don
__________________

__________________
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:51 PM   #563
Rivet Master
 
NorCal Bambi's Avatar
 
1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,313
Images: 21
Natural Child Birth

Just though I'd send along a picture of our 63 Bambi watching the rebirth of the 55 Flying Cloud.
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Garage.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	486.1 KB
ID:	84405  
__________________
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:28 AM   #564
Rivet Master
 
VIKING's Avatar
 
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,177
Thanks!

Don and Caddygrn, This thread is full of great info and I hope to see you on the road sometime to thank you in person.
I'm going to do the same thing on my floor insulation as you are with sheet foam. Are you going to go the full 4", or leave space between the foam and the bellyskin? I was thinking of leaving a 1" space below the foam because I could tell that water had sat in the bellyskin before.

I don't think I would glue the flooring to the frame. The materials are going to expand and contract at very different rates.
I was thinking the same thing just a couple of days ago, about using adhesive on the frame/floor joints. It was a suprise to see you thinking about it today!
I think that the original rust on top of the frames (I have it too) was due to the insulation trapped in the joint, getting wet and staying wet for a long time. Without the insulation wicking water in there it shouldn't be a problem.

Nice picture.
Rich
__________________
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:25 AM   #565
Rivet Master
 
NorCal Bambi's Avatar
 
1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,313
Images: 21
Floor glue

Rich, great to hear from you and your project. Do you have a thread I could look at?
The adhesive I used to glue the floor down will have a picture on the bottom of this post. It's flexable rubber product, so I don't think the expansion factor should be a problem. Your point about the insulation wicking water is a good one. I had forgot about that. The foam I'm using is a combination of two layers of 1.50" and one layer of 1". Because that's what's available up here. I'm also using a spray glue to hold in in place on the flying Cloud. I'm not flipping this floor and frame over to work on. The other reason I'm using the foam is to completely fill the space. On both trailers when I was doing the disassembly were filled with wasp and bumble bee nests. I'd like to eliminate that in these trailers.
Don


Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
Don and Caddygrn, This thread is full of great info and I hope to see you on the road sometime to thank you in person.
I'm going to do the same thing on my floor insulation as you are with sheet foam. Are you going to go the full 4", or leave space between the foam and the bellyskin? I was thinking of leaving a 1" space below the foam because I could tell that water had sat in the bellyskin before.

I don't think I would glue the flooring to the frame. The materials are going to expand and contract at very different rates.
I was thinking the same thing just a couple of days ago, about using adhesive on the frame/floor joints. It was a suprise to see you thinking about it today!
I think that the original rust on top of the frames (I have it too) was due to the insulation trapped in the joint, getting wet and staying wet for a long time. Without the insulation wicking water in there it shouldn't be a problem.

Nice picture.
Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Polyurethane.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	84413  
__________________
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #566
Rivet Master
 
VIKING's Avatar
 
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,177
Hi Don,
I don't have a thread going for my work but I have a seldom-used blog which I will be updating again this weekend.
Do you know if the foam you are using is waterproof? That is my only concern with it, really.
The polyurethane should be flexible enough to avoid any issues with the floor. I was thinking the other day, that the floor and frame would be much more rigid if they were sheeted more solidly on both the top and bottom rather than having the bellyskin just be there for hiding the frame.

I've got errands this morning. I'll check back with you later today.

Rich
__________________
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #567
Rivet Master
 
NorCal Bambi's Avatar
 
1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,313
Images: 21
Rich, I looked at your blog and will check it out again. Yes the polyurethane is waterproof. Here is the thread with the work on the Flying Cloud.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...wax-25692.html
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
Hi Don,
I don't have a thread going for my work but I have a seldom-used blog which I will be updating again this weekend.
Do you know if the foam you are using is waterproof? That is my only concern with it, really.
The polyurethane should be flexible enough to avoid any issues with the floor. I was thinking the other day, that the floor and frame would be much more rigid if they were sheeted more solidly on both the top and bottom rather than having the bellyskin just be there for hiding the frame.

I've got errands this morning. I'll check back with you later today.

Rich
__________________
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #568
Rivet Master
 
utee94's Avatar
 
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi View Post
Just though I'd send along a picture of our 63 Bambi watching the rebirth of the 55 Flying Cloud.
Don
Do you think the Bambi ever gets jealous at all the attention?

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #569
Rivet Master
 
NorCal Bambi's Avatar
 
1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,313
Images: 21
utee94, When the neighbors are not around I go stand inside the Bambi and talk to her. I'm told they like a man who is willing to talk. Also I been known to go over and rub her sides every once in a while.
Don
__________________
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #570
1 Rivet Member
 
sbreide471's Avatar
 
1969 27' Overlander
woodinville , Washington
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7
Images: 2
Blog Entries: 4
flooring replacement

i have a 69 airstream overlander do you know if you have to lift the body off to replace the flooring
__________________
sbreide471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:40 AM   #571
Rivet Master
 
NorCal Bambi's Avatar
 
1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,313
Images: 21
Shoud I shell Off?

sbreide471, Do I need to lift the body? This is a good question. I would say it depends on several things. The first question you need to ask yourself is, do I have the space and storage needed to do a shell off restoration? This means a place big enough for the shell and the frame to sit alone. And is there storage area for all the parts and sheets of aluminum that need to be removed in order to remove the shell.
Next what is your purpose. Do you just want to make repairs so you can use the trailer. Or do you want to do a full restoration? Once these questions have been answered the next question is Shell On or Shell Off.
If you have just one or two areas of the floor that are damaged a Shell On might be the answer to your question. If most of your floor is damaged then a Shell Off will be the answer. If you research this forum you can find threads that look at and describe both approaches. How about time to do the work. I'm retired and when I did the Bambi I devoted my full time to doing the restoration. It took me 8 months. and about 7,000$ to do the shell off. A Shell On should take less time and cost less as well. I guess another question is what is your skill level? And how much do you want to spend. First spend time on the Forum and ask several people for their opinions and viewpoints. This forum was a great help to my projects. And on those days when a project is getting you down. Sharing with others here is a great help. When you make your decision start your own thread about you project. The input and help from others is just great.
Don

Take a look here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...tes-40981.html
__________________
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:55 AM   #572
Rivet Master
 
NorCal Bambi's Avatar
 
1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,313
Images: 21
Well it's been 5 years since we restored the Bambi. And here is my thoughts after that time. It is definitely worth restoring an excellent product like an Airstream trailer. I've had many vehicles in the past that after 5 years were in great need of repair. Some were even falling apart by that time. Bambi is solid and dependable and will be for many years to come. When it comes to restorations, starting with a good product is the first step.
Don
__________________
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:50 AM   #573
Rivet Master
 
C Johnson's Avatar
 
1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,183
Images: 326
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi View Post
Well it's been 5 years since we restored the Bambi. And here is my thoughts after that time. It is definitely worth restoring an excellent product like an Airstream trailer. I've had many vehicles in the past that after 5 years were in great need of repair. Some were even falling apart by that time. Bambi is solid and dependable and will be for many years to come. When it comes to restorations, starting with a good product is the first step.
Don
I completely agree with this statement. I have zero problems with my resto on my Caravel. After 10 k + miles still going strong. All original equipment I might add. :-) (aside from the intellipower and water pump)
__________________
AIR # 7276, WBCCI # 7276
Photos of Project 2k5
Project 2k5
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:09 AM   #574
Rivet Master
 
NorCal Bambi's Avatar
 
1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,313
Images: 21
Chris your Caravel is a great machine. We've sat inside several times and its a great home away from home.
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson View Post
I completely agree with this statement. I have zero problems with my resto on my Caravel. After 10 k + miles still going strong. All original equipment I might add. :-) (aside from the intellipower and water pump)
__________________

__________________
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.