Old 07-27-2008, 09:18 AM   #533
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Merritt Island , Florida
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide a diagram!! No, I have not removed everything from the inside yet, wanted to work things out in my head before I committed; it's hurricane season here and I wanted to do this in the smallest window as possible because I have nowhere to store the shell inside.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:20 AM   #534
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
C Ray I have sent you a PM. Please feel free to e-mail me.
Don

Old 09-29-2008, 09:01 AM   #535
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Howdy all, I just wanted to report on the grey water system I put into our Bambi. We have been out on 3 or 4 trips and it works great. It's one of those, "Why didn't I do this before things." It's so nice to stop in a road side rest of along the side of a country road. Fix a cup of coffee or wash your hands without worrying about drain water.
Don
Old 10-05-2008, 01:11 AM   #536
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
I must say, I concur heartily! When we first had the Bambi we wanted to keep everything as "stock" as possible. But, the gray water tank really was something we wanted... very glad that Don put it in! Works great, and it actually wasn't a horrible job or very expensive! And, to boot, it is in an area that was basically useless space! Cool! Thanks, dear!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
My blog: Yreka History
Old 10-05-2008, 07:45 AM   #537
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the update on the gray tank-- I'm all for keeping things LOOKING stock, while updating systems and adding modern conveniences where you like.

Y'all have done a great job on this one, and we're all looking forward to more updates on the NEXT one...

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:12 AM   #538
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
utee94, thanks for the positive comments, I took a look at your blog on your 63. Beautiful trailer nice work. It would be great to cross paths on the road sometime.
Don
Old 10-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #539
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
My air compressor for the fresh water tank has gone out. Open for suggestions. Repair compressor, replace with a standard water pump. What are the pros and cons of both? We've liked the compressor to date. It only works when pressure in tank is low. Not every time you want water. Hope to here lots of input on this one.
Thanks Don
Old 10-30-2008, 07:20 PM   #540
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Don -
My water tank on my '59 Tradewind was encrusted with white sediment and I didn't try to rehab it. I replaced it with a plastic tank, and a new Shurflo pump. It is my understanding that the plastic tank would not be suitable for the older pressurized system. I have my original Grover pump (status unknown - untested) and if you need a replacement, you'd be welcome to it. From what I remember reading here on the Forums, it seems that most folks doing a vintage remodel/restoration replace their metal tank with an new plastic one; those that keep their original tank seem to replace the original pressurized system more often than not. I know that Scott of scotanlily has kept his Grover pump in his '59 Tradewind and was happy with it.
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grover-pump.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	70563  
Old 11-01-2008, 08:45 AM   #541
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Mark, Thanks for the information on your pump. I would be interested in the pump. Would you be willing to PMing me for contact information?
Doesn't anyone out there have any bad information about these pressurized tanks?
Don
Old 11-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #542
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Merritt Island , Florida
Don
Looked under Bambi yesterday and noticed that the belly pan rivets look bigger than regular 5/32 topside rivets, can anyone confirm that? Also, IF the belly pan wraps around the "C" channel and you have to lift the the shell before removing belly pan, then it is only practical to reinstall belly pan before reinstalling shell. SO, how do I get to the belly for wires, pipes, misc. hardware installations after the shell is back on? There is an access under the bath, but I am thinking about gas lines, wires and installing pipes, grey tank addition, in areas away from the access.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:56 PM   #543
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Ray View Post
Don
Looked under Bambi yesterday and noticed that the belly pan rivets look bigger than regular 5/32 topside rivets, can anyone confirm that? Also, IF the belly pan wraps around the "C" channel and you have to lift the the shell before removing belly pan, then it is only practical to reinstall belly pan before reinstalling shell. SO, how do I get to the belly for wires, pipes, misc. hardware installations after the shell is back on? There is an access under the bath, but I am thinking about gas lines, wires and installing pipes, grey tank addition, in areas away from the access.
C Ray, Many have used bigger rivets on the belly pan, I didn't think of it at the time I was doing my restoration. In retrospect it's a good idea. You are correct about the order of belly pan shell installation. Here is my thoughts. If you want to make a restoration, The shell should be removed etc. A big job. If your floor is in good condition and you have had no problems with mice and other bees bugs etc. getting inside the floor and walls of the trailer. You could consider a personal design redo. You could do extra riveting down the major frame rails and cut out the center sections of the belly pan. Install tanks etc. and then replace the belly pan middle as a separate section. One note the gas lines must be run the outside of the belly pan after installation of the new middle skin. It is not safe to install gas lines on the inside of the belly pan. If you have additional questions let me know. By the way, Bambi's are very cool.
Don
Old 11-07-2008, 09:32 AM   #544
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Merritt Island , Florida
Thanks

Hey thanks Don for the good advice, I am working on a new layout for the belly pan, which may include a new "hump" (with an access door) under the shower (see attachment... if it loads) I have a long horizontal tin 4-5" tube situated in front of the wheels for my drain hose storage. I will try and keep the "hump" from the grey tank above the hieght of that tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GreyTank.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	70992  
Old 11-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #545
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Merritt Island , Florida
Forgot to mention something, the blue "extension" from the bottom of the blackwater tank to the dump valve, would have to be made so the grey tank would drain. I am also considering an additional grey tank for the sink. each of the grey water tanks would also have there own dump valve. What do you think of these ideas?
Old 11-07-2008, 09:41 PM   #546
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Ray View Post
Forgot to mention something, the blue "extension" from the bottom of the blackwater tank to the dump valve, would have to be made so the grey tank would drain. I am also considering an additional grey tank for the sink. each of the grey water tanks would also have there own dump valve. What do you think of these ideas?
C Ray, I think the access door is a great idea. I have a large access area under my black tank and shower drain area. It's screws into place. I just couldn't see making a solid enclosure. If I can get to it, hopefully I will never need to. Ha, Ha, The shower drain was broken when I started my restoration. I made a separate drain system for my gray water tank that is for the kitchen sink. It will hold 5 gallons before it will overflow into the sewer drain system. So it is self contained while on the road and can function with the original drain system while in a camp hookup. We do not have a holding tank for the shower. We only us it when hooked up. I would like to see some pictures of your progress.
Don