Old 05-03-2007, 10:24 AM   #519
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
SLOW going with the baby and all... did you see my wooden interior? i started putting those panels in the 59 this week, and got one of the panels replaced on the 62 globe trotter, too... so i guess i AM making a little progress, at least. ha!

jp

there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #520
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
20,000 + miles repairs

Just an update on our 63 Bambi. We on a trip to the Beverly Beach Rally when I looked out the rear view mirror of the truck and saw huge, and I mean Huge, clouds of black smoke curling up into the air. My first thought was that the trailer was on fire. We pulled over at the next spot and ran back to see what was up. The smoke was comming up from the curb side wheel well. On close inspection it was discoverd that the top of the shock mount had broken. The shock and the top broken piece has swung forward and jamed between the inside edge of the tire and the frame of the trailer. Much further and it would have cut through the tire.
After I was able to dislodge the shock and swing it back, several plastic ties were installed to hold it out of the way. We then drove slowly to the ralley.
Anyway I need to get this fixed before we start out again. After 20,000 plus miles somethings are bound to start happening. Chrisl, looking forward for your rally. The rally blood is starting to run warm again. How cool.
Don

Old 01-17-2008, 07:44 PM   #521
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Ready to Rally!

Hello everyone,

Reading the threads and looking at the rally schedule is a good thing! We are ready for travel!

Here is a picture of Don putting on the plastic ties to hold up the broken shock mount... 20 miles from Beverly Beach. We made it there with our temporary repair, then back to Florence (If memory serves....) to get the tire replaced after the rally. Let's just say, we were very lucky... the tire was nearly shredded.

On my "wish" list is for a small gray tank to be installed in the Bambi. Anyone done that after restoration?

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Don temp repair.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	52677  
Old 01-23-2008, 09:27 AM   #522
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
broken shock mount

I will be adding some pictures soon. I think this should be a thing for everyone who is rebuilding Airstream. At least a 60's Airstream. I think this was a problem of metal fatigue and the fact that the shock was bottoming out on occasion. If anyone else has had a similar problem, this would be a good place to chime in.
Don
Old 04-16-2008, 01:41 PM   #523
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
New Axle

The new Axle has been install now for several months. We will soon go to a rally and get a chance to check it out. The new axle is 22.5 degrees down rather than the 10 degrees down of the first axle I put in. The clearance between the trailer and the wheel is greatly improved for the 14" wheel replacement. Also the wheel and tire are easer to remove when jacked up. They slide out without any interference to the fenders. I have stood inside and jumped up and down and there is greater and smoother movement.
Don
Old 07-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #524
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
New Axle

Just got back for a trip to Washington. the new axle was great. Sure noticed the difference in the ride with the 22.5 degree angle.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #525
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Gray tank addition

We have decided to add a gray tank to our Bambi. The reason is that as we travel we often stop at roadside rests or on the side of the road for lunch or a break. We can't use the sink because of no tank. The Bambi doesn't have a great deal of space for a tank. There is a dead space below the sink counter and the refer, so I thought I'd place a small 5gal tank in that area. This will ad a new drain place out of the bottom of the trailer. It will make a new hookup place for the blue boy when we are in a camp site.
Dose anyone have any suggestion on this idea? I'm open for suggestions.
Thanks Don
Old 07-09-2008, 11:19 AM   #526
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Is this dead space you're talking about over the floor, or under the floor?

I think it's a great idea, you've clearly idenitified a need and you have a workable solution. Compared to the amount of work you've already done, this will be a piece of cake.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #527
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Check out RJ's site (vintageairstream.com). He put some pretty good sized tanks in a similar vintage trailer...same shallow frame members. They hang down below, but there is plenty of room. might as well go "all the way", if you're going to go to the trouble, kwim?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:10 AM   #528
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Check out RJ's site (vintageairstream.com). He put some pretty good sized tanks in a similar vintage trailer...same shallow frame members. They hang down below, but there is plenty of room. might as well go "all the way", if you're going to go to the trouble, kwim?
Chuck, thanks for the reference. I had looked at Vintageairstream.com many times before, but had not spent time going thou his restoration details. This is a great site and a must for anyone restoring a trailer.
Thanks again Don
Old 07-11-2008, 10:57 PM   #529
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Hi everyone! It is the "other half"... Don has installed a 7 gallon container and completed the plumbing for our new gray tank. It will be great! It should give us enough storage for a meal or two while on the road! He has installed this next to the refrigerator under the back cupboard (that I can't possibly reach into anyway, even if I lay down on the floor and stick my arm as far as I can!) It was space that just collected "stuff". Much better use of the space.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
My blog: Yreka History
Old 07-12-2008, 07:49 AM   #530
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
That's quick work! I don't suppose you have any pictures of the installation?
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #531
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Merritt Island , Florida
Don, I am reading your thread carfully as I am experiencing, now, what you have already experienced. I have a 62 Bambi, arranged slightly differently than yours, and I have already replaced my axel with a dexter, works great. I am also going to have to replace my refrigerator, gel-coat my shower pan, and do a full shell-off floor replacement (S.O.F.R). So, I am very carfully going over the steps that you have so generously shared....by the way ...thanks a million!!!! I don't want to remove the lower inside panels on mine for the S.O.F.R. (just repainted with Zolatone a few years ago) anyway, I cannot figure out a way, so far, to attach cross bracing to the outside shell and not because I am not removing the inside shell (I figure I can cut noches in strategic places of the inside shell), but rather because the "C" channel is too high to bolt a 2x4 to the outter shell without exposing the holes above the banana mold...how did you do it?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0622.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	374.2 KB
ID:	64500   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0625.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	463.9 KB
ID:	64501  

Old 07-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #532
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Mount braces

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Ray View Post
Don, I am reading your thread carfully as I am experiencing, now, what you have already experienced. I have a 62 Bambi, arranged slightly differently than yours, and I have already replaced my axel with a dexter, works great. I am also going to have to replace my refrigerator, gel-coat my shower pan, and do a full shell-off floor replacement (S.O.F.R). So, I am very carfully going over the steps that you have so generously shared....by the way ...thanks a million!!!! I don't want to remove the lower inside panels on mine for the S.O.F.R. (just repainted with Zolatone a few years ago) anyway, I cannot figure out a way, so far, to attach cross bracing to the outside shell and not because I am not removing the inside shell (I figure I can cut noches in strategic places of the inside shell), but rather because the "C" channel is too high to bolt a 2x4 to the outter shell without exposing the holes above the banana mold...how did you do it?
I assume you have all the interior out. On the inside I would drill out a couple rivets and mount a bracket that you can mount a cross brace to. Temporarily use screws or put in olympic rivets. You can place a protective layer between the bracket and the wall to protect the paint. When done all you need to touch up are the rivet heads.

Make sure the braces are high enough off the floor so that you can get a jack uner them. Also make sure they are level an square.

Be sure to post some pictures with your solution.

I drew a crude picture.

Name:	bracket.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	64503