Old 10-16-2006, 12:00 AM   #463
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Refridgerator

Hi Don, How are the repairs on your refer door holding up ? I am thinking of doing the same thing to mine, although mine isn't nearly as bad as yours was.

I have a couple ?? Did you fill the backside of the door plastic with expanding foam and then fiberglass over it ?

Where did you get the marine tex ?

Thanks !

BTW, I flipped my fridge over for a few hours at a time this weekend. I got it back in and going. Within 2 hours it had dropped 10' in the box and had frost on the tubes.

Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:12 AM   #464
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
The diesel attempt made in 78 was a gas oldsmobile 350 V-8 converted
to diesel by GM. It was a noisy smokey piece of junk ,always was a failure.
poor power also .todays electronically controlled diesel engines are very good
but did have there own troubles (read 2003 ford powerstroke ) any way the duramax and the newer power strokes are very good ! I just don't know in an
old cadillac car ,brakes and suspension and the weight of the diesel ,very heavy ,lots of modifications to perform to get it to work ,probably make that caddy into a torque monster though .any thing can be done if you have alot
,and I mean alot of money ,to throw at a project of this nature. Maybe a
501 inch 70s fleetwood engine and trans would be nice ,not as good mileage but it would be cadillac all around ,and boy would she run !

Scott of scottanlily

Old 10-17-2006, 10:00 AM   #465
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Hi Don, How are the repairs on your refer door holding up ? I am thinking of doing the same thing to mine, although mine isn't nearly as bad as yours was.

I have a couple ?? Did you fill the backside of the door plastic with expanding foam and then fiberglass over it ?

Where did you get the marine tex ?

Thanks !

BTW, I flipped my fridge over for a few hours at a time this weekend. I got it back in and going. Within 2 hours it had dropped 10' in the box and had frost on the tubes.
Hi Chris, Nice to hear form you, Yes I filled the back inside of the plastic door molding with spray insulation foam. I first over filled it. And then I filed it down to get a even fill. Then I put fiberglass resin over the entire area. Next the fiberglass cloth was layed over the area and a second coat of resin. It has head up very well. We put it together as soon as the resin had set up. If you do this I might suggest that you do this when you can let the plastic door piece set out for some period of time. We had a problem for a while that things in the fridge took on a fiberglass resin taste. Not good. The taste did disapear after about 2 months of use however. Marine-tex can be had at West Marine. There have an on line store.
There were a couple of area in the plastic door lining that had cracks. This process made everything solid and strong again.
We will be seeing you soon at Beverly Beach.
Don
Old 11-27-2006, 09:45 PM   #466
2 Rivet Member

burbank , California
Question about Carlson wall heater for '62 Bambi

Hi there,

Mrs. Kamo here! My hubby is out on the open road -- our newly refurbished '62 Bambi's maiden voyage -- and he has encountered a problem with the button for the pilot light sticking.

Does anyone have a remedy for this that I can pass on to him so he does not freeze to death in frigid Oklahoma?

Thanks so much!
Jennifer
Old 11-27-2006, 11:01 PM   #467
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamo
Hi there,

Mrs. Kamo here! My hubby is out on the open road -- our newly refurbished '62 Bambi's maiden voyage -- and he has encountered a problem with the button for the pilot light sticking.

Does anyone have a remedy for this that I can pass on to him so he does not freeze to death in frigid Oklahoma?

Thanks so much!
Jennifer
Hi Jennifer,
I am going to assume it is like my '61. The button is red? and you have to hold it in while lighting...

Have him turn it to the left about one complete rotation to start. Then follow the lighting instructions. If it still get stuck another complete rotation should do the trick.
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:07 PM   #468
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Dexter axle

Tim, here is the information on the axle. I'm including two images. the first is of a Henschen axle that was stock on my Bambi. As the diagram shows the mounting bracket on the axle has the vertical mounting element toware the outside of the axle. The dexter axle can be ordered this way. However it is a special order that may take longer to get. Now since you are planning to put a Dexter type axle on a trailer that originally had spring axles, This item may not be necessary to consider. If you look at the second picture that is of the Dexter axle, you will notice that the vertical portion of the welded axle bracket is toward the inside of the trailer. The second bracket that comes bolted to the welded bracket is the one you can use for mounting the new axle. A importand note: Only weld on the second bracket. Never weld on the axle, tube, or welded on bracket. If you do you will ruin the axle. Since you are doing a custom installation, I'd say use the Dexter as is. Less confusion.
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bambi axle dimension 2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	31976   Click image for larger version

Name:	backwards bracket.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	31977  

Old 02-08-2007, 02:55 PM   #469
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
don, great picture and info. thanks as i'm getting very near to the ordering the axle stage for my flying cloud. speaking of.....how has yours been doing lately?

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:04 PM   #470
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Thanks for the info.

So originally your axle had flat plate welded to the outside of the frame going down past the main frame rail. This is where the old henchen bolted to with the outside facing bracket.

Since I'm going from leaf springs, then I can use Dexters standard mount and have their mounting plates welded to the bottom of the frame rail to accept the bolt on axle.

Is this all correct?
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:14 PM   #471
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
hi tim,

i'm also going from leaf springs to the dexter torsion axle. uwe (who you had on the show) helped another member order a dexter axle for a 55 flying cloud that worked out fine so i'm going to meet with uwe to see his overlander and talk to him about to see if my measurements are the same or similar. maybe uwe will chime in here.

your scenario sounds correct, however i haven't ordered the axle yet since i'm going to pull the shell off and remove the subfloor and get a good look at everything going on with the frame and axle. so hopefully someone else can comment.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:31 PM   #472
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
Thanks for the info.

So originally your axle had flat plate welded to the outside of the frame going down past the main frame rail. This is where the old henchen bolted to with the outside facing bracket.

Since I'm going from leaf springs, then I can use Dexters standard mount and have their mounting plates welded to the bottom of the frame rail to accept the bolt on axle.

Is this all correct?
Yes,
Don
Old 02-09-2007, 12:15 AM   #473
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Wow, I wish I could be so lucky!

I've talked with Uwe quite a bit about the axle specs. He's a very valuable resource.

Mine's a little different, like you, since we are going from leaf spring to torsion.

I'm getting ready to order mine within the next couple of weeks. I have some loose ends to tie up so I can tow it to a scale first.

-Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood
hi tim,

i'm also going from leaf springs to the dexter torsion axle. uwe (who you had on the show) helped another member order a dexter axle for a 55 flying cloud that worked out fine so i'm going to meet with uwe to see his overlander and talk to him about to see if my measurements are the same or similar. maybe uwe will chime in here.

your scenario sounds correct, however i haven't ordered the axle yet since i'm going to pull the shell off and remove the subfloor and get a good look at everything going on with the frame and axle. so hopefully someone else can comment.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:15 AM   #474
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Great! Thanks Don.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
Yes,
Don
Old 02-10-2007, 12:42 AM   #475
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Info for Martin Caffe

Martin, I am including two pictures for help on your heater. The unit we have is a CARSON heater.
The first picture is on the control unit and burner form the heater. It shows the control for the heat and the red button that needs to be pushed in order to lite the unit. The second picture is a reproduction on the heater label with instructions on how to light. Feel free to use this label on your unit, if you don't have one. The third picture is an illustration I made to further (I Hope) explane the operation of the control valve.
Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Heater control + text.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	32100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Knob positions for heater.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	32102  

Attached Images
File Type: psd NEW HEATER LABEL.psd (230.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 02-10-2007, 09:33 AM   #476
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
wall heater label

oops wrong file format.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NEW HEATER LABEL.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	32.9 KB