Old 04-05-2006, 12:10 PM   #253
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankornuta
Maybe they did it this way for cost reasons... I imagine it's much easier to lay and cut tile without the body on, especially in an assembly-line environment. I'm not sure if there were any technical/structural reasons to do it this way, though...

My plan is to lay marmoleum (it's in a sheet) right over the plywood before attaching the c-channel and, subsequently, the body. I'll be doing this in the next couple of weeks, with any luck!
I remember reading somewhere here on the forum that the factory does/has in the past installed the flooring in this manner. I'll bet you're right on the money that it is for ease of installation and cost savings. I can't imagine that there is anything structural about it, other than a layer of material to keep water out of the plywood (minimal at best, I know). Other memebers have done the same thing. I think 59Toaster did his that way. You might check his threads.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:44 PM   #254
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
I'm going to do mine that way for ease of installation... just roll the marmoleum out over the plywood... snip around the edges... done!

But I've been wondering... if I treat my wood with a waterproofing material, anything from varethane to POR-15, do you think that will hinder the ability of the floor adhesive to hold the marmoleum down?

Old 04-05-2006, 10:17 PM   #255
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
I was referring to both, actually In my trailer, as I pulled up the c-channel that the body was attached to, I could see that the old asbestos floor tiles extended underneath it, which showed me that the tile was placed on top of the floor (the plywood) before the body was placed on the trailer.

Maybe they did it this way for cost reasons... I imagine it's much easier to lay and cut tile without the body on, especially in an assembly-line environment. I'm not sure if there were any technical/structural reasons to do it this way, though...
Thought I'd chime in here. My old tiles were put down after the shell was put on. They only put enough down to extend under the cabinets, not to the inside edge of the shell. They didn't even go all the way to the back just enough to go under the shower. The back 1/4 was bare wood as well as a small section in the front under the water tank.

Don, I bought some sheet vinyl from Lowe's. I ran it right up to the edge inside and then sealed it. I have had some spills in there and two leaks. I was happy I went the way I did. I put down a small area rug in the center. It gets dirty I just shake it out and put it back down and wash it if it needs it. I did glue my vinyl down. After 6,000 miles, no cracks or lifting of any kind. I am happy with my choice. Easy to care for. Easy to put in.

Chris
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:24 AM   #256
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
I'm going to do mine that way for ease of installation... just roll the marmoleum out over the plywood... snip around the edges... done!

But I've been wondering... if I treat my wood with a waterproofing material, anything from varethane to POR-15, do you think that will hinder the ability of the floor adhesive to hold the marmoleum down?
I have the same question. Maybe someone will give us an answer.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:26 AM   #257
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Thought I'd chime in here. My old tiles were put down after the shell was put on. They only put enough down to extend under the cabinets, not to the inside edge of the shell. They didn't even go all the way to the back just enough to go under the shower. The back 1/4 was bare wood as well as a small section in the front under the water tank.

Don, I bought some sheet vinyl from Lowe's. I ran it right up to the edge inside and then sealed it. I have had some spills in there and two leaks. I was happy I went the way I did. I put down a small area rug in the center. It gets dirty I just shake it out and put it back down and wash it if it needs it. I did glue my vinyl down. After 6,000 miles, no cracks or lifting of any kind. I am happy with my choice. Easy to care for. Easy to put in.

Chris
Chris, what a perfect sales pich. I am definately leaning in your direction.
Thanks Don
Old 04-06-2006, 11:28 AM   #258
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Anyone know a good place to buy Zolatone?
Old 04-06-2006, 11:35 AM   #259
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Hey Don.

It would be real convenient to set the floor in such a way as to be replaceable after a certain amount of time, since that is likely to be the surface that takes the most beating. Given that, if the floor is linolium of some sort and not to heavily stuck down, you could use that as the template to easily cut another floor of your choice.

What ever you do I'm sure it will be amazing.

http://www.zolatone.com/search/usa/index.jsp

Jonathan
Old 04-06-2006, 11:43 AM   #260
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
Hey Don.

It would be real convenient to set the floor in such a way as to be replaceable after a certain amount of time, since that is likely to be the surface that takes the most beating. Given that, if the floor is linolium of some sort and not to heavily stuck down, you could use that as the template to easily cut another floor of your choice.

What ever you do I'm sure it will be amazing.

http://www.zolatone.com/search/usa/index.jsp

Jonathan
Good point, Thanks
Don
Old 04-06-2006, 12:17 PM   #261
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
I have the same question. Maybe someone will give us an answer.

I put three coats of poly on my plywood floor to waterproof, then glued down a cork floor with flooring contact cement with no adhesion problems. I would guess you should just do a little test before you do the entire floor, what a bother it would be if it didn't stick!
Old 04-08-2006, 12:04 AM   #262
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
She had inner beauty again

Today I completed the installation of the inner skins. With the new wiring, insulation, and minor repairs it seemed to take forever. It's great to be passing through another major step. Next will be the final hook up of the converter, vinyl flooring, and repainting the Zolatone. It feels like Bambi's soul has returned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inner shell back.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	20256   Click image for larger version

Name:	inner shell front.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	20257  

Old 04-08-2006, 08:47 AM   #263
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
Today I completed the installation of the inner skins. With the new wiring, insulation, and minor repairs it seemed to take forever. It's great to be passing through another major step. Next will be the final hook up of the converter, vinyl flooring, and repainting the Zolatone. It feels like Bambi's soul has returned.

That's a milestone event...congratulations. You will have this trailer ready for spring and summer camping!
Old 04-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #264
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Lookin' good, Don. I wish I was this far along. The really good news is that you can actually use the camper now (minus a few "convenience" items, of course)

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:38 PM   #265
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Carson , New Mexico
Hi Don,
Just found your thread today and so much enjoyed reading through it. Your airstream is looking great - congratulations - such nice work.
Theresa
Old 04-09-2006, 11:17 PM   #266
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Thanks everyone for the positive response to my project. I hope it will be of some help to another Airstreamer. These forums have sure been a help to me. Best of all we have meet some good people.
Don