Old 03-31-2006, 09:57 AM   #239
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Don,
If I had to do this again, I would run all the wires in a loom, or at least in very concentrated runs. And then mark the skin and take lots of photos of the wiring, before putting on the interior skin. this way you will know exactly where you can drill for screws or rivets, and where there's wires in the way...I lost one circuit to careless furniture installation.
That's really good advice, since I'll be at this stage soon... er, eventually.

Old 03-31-2006, 10:25 AM   #240
Site Team

, Minnesota
Another alternative is conduit. It's easy to change things later.

I used smurf tube and plastic boxes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110805rewire 018.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	20007  

Old 03-31-2006, 11:29 AM   #241
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Don.

I started reading this thread from the very beginning and have to say that you are now part of a growing list of heros on this forum. I'm exhausted just reading this stuff!!! When do you sleep!!!

It's truely an amazing undertaking. I took the lazy way out and bought a new AS, but I really asppreciate the blood sweat and tears that these projects require.

I can't wait to see the end result. I like the conduit "chase" idea for wires and such. That would make repair/replace much more simple.

Keep up the fantastic work, and the equally fantastic job of documenting this arduous restoration.

And to everyone else, good luck on your renovations too.

Cheers.

Jonathan
Old 03-31-2006, 09:23 PM   #242
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane

Your Conduit is very, very impressive. I have seen many amazing and beautiful mods that various members have use in their restorations. In the past an attempt at perfection has kept me from finishing many projects. This time I'm attempting to do a good job and finish. I also have a 1933 Chevy, a 48 Cadillac, and a 67 triumph Spitfire waiting in the wings. At 65 I have to keep time in mind. If I was 20 years younger, I would be adapting your conduit approach right now. Its great!!!
Old 03-31-2006, 09:25 PM   #243
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
crazylev, thanks for the positive input. It helps more than you know.
Don
Old 03-31-2006, 09:51 PM   #244
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Let's get finished!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
Your Conduit is very, very impressive. I have seen many amazing and beautiful mods that various members have use in their restorations. In the past an attempt at perfection has kept me from finishing many projects. This time I'm attempting to do a good job and finish. I also have a 1933 Chevy, a 48 Cadillac, and a 67 triumph Spitfire waiting in the wings. At 65 I have to keep time in mind. If I was 20 years younger, I would be adapting your conduit approach right now. Its great!!!
Well, this is the "other half" and I am so excited! Don has now put it in words! "Finish!!!!" Maybe I can hold him to it! He is not without projects, and I must say he is a good guy to take on the one I bought and leave the others for now. Someday he will also get the 48 done. That is "mine" too. It has been 30 years in the restoration process. The Bambi is going much quicker. Well, time to prod him along . Thanks everyone for giving him more encouragement!
Old 04-01-2006, 07:42 AM   #245
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane

The conduit looks very nice! But, with such limited space between the interior and exterior skins, will that make it difficult to insulate?
Old 04-01-2006, 09:23 AM   #246
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankornuta
The conduit looks very nice! But, with such limited space between the interior and exterior skins, will that make it difficult to insulate?
Yes. I don't think the insulation is any less effective, but it requires more effort to split the batts and work them around the conduit.

I considered using spray insulation, but it was messy.

In several places, it was more convenient to use bubblefoil between the conduit and the outside skin, then finish with batts between the conduits and the inside.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:23 PM   #247
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Update

I now have all the inner skins installed except for the two center roof sections. I found a new leak area in the roof area that was not visible until I removed the bracing. The rivets were loose and I decided to remove them and replace the rivets. This is when I found the leak areas. See attached photos. I thought I'd include a couple of photos of progress. One shows inner skins installed the other shows some of the new wiring. Once all the skins have been replaced, I plan on wet sanding the zolatone and repainting with the original zolatone color. I still haven't decided which type of finish flooring to use. How about some of you giving me a sales pitch on what you used for you final flooring and why. Uwe had mentioned a floating cork flooring. My original cabinets etc were attached to the floor and the walls. I don't know if a floating floor will create a problem. Well gentlemen I am open for your sale pitch.
Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1004065.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	20177   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1004066.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	20178  

Name:	P1004068.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	20179  
Old 04-05-2006, 11:08 AM   #248
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Looking really nice, Don. As far as the flooring question goes....

Susan is pretty much insisting on vinyl flooring for everthing except the bedroom area. From a practicle point of view, that's the way for us to go. We will normally have a least a couple of kids and a dog with us, once we start using the trailer. Too much stuff will get tracked in to try and keep carpet or one of the more expensive floor materials clean. The bedroom area will either be the same vinyl with a throw rug or two, or regular carpet.

Further, I'm only planning on putting any type of floor covering down on the parts of the floor that actually are walked on, if that makes sense. In other words, the furniture/cabinets/etc go in first, the flooring will be the last thing to put in. I read in another thread that the best way to do this is to put a sheet material down first (like Luan or some such) then glue the vinyl to the sheet material. That way the flooring can be changed relatively easily in the future if need be and you don't have to worry about sub-floor flexing and seams, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:11 AM   #249
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
I'm sure everyone already knows this, but the original flooring was put on "under" the body... in other words, the floor was laid with the armstrong tiles and then the c-channel was attached and the body built up. That's the way I plan to do it... seems like it helps with the sealing and all that. Is there a good reason to not do it that way?
Old 04-05-2006, 11:24 AM   #250
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Ank, are you referring to the plywood, or the flooring material that is placed on top of the plywood (carpet, vinyl, etc)?

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:33 AM   #251
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Ank, are you referring to the plywood, or the flooring material that is placed on top of the plywood (carpet, vinyl, etc)?
I was referring to both, actually In my trailer, as I pulled up the c-channel that the body was attached to, I could see that the old asbestos floor tiles extended underneath it, which showed me that the tile was placed on top of the floor (the plywood) before the body was placed on the trailer.

Maybe they did it this way for cost reasons... I imagine it's much easier to lay and cut tile without the body on, especially in an assembly-line environment. I'm not sure if there were any technical/structural reasons to do it this way, though...

My plan is to lay marmoleum (it's in a sheet) right over the plywood before attaching the c-channel and, subsequently, the body. I'll be doing this in the next couple of weeks, with any luck!
Old 04-05-2006, 11:57 AM   #252
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Don.

I agree with Ankornuta. As long as everything is out of the AS, I'd some how first seal the crap out of the plywood floor, especially around the edges, then lay some cheap flooring material entire floor surface. After the interior goes back in put down the top-flooring of your choice, just up to cabinets, walls and so on and finish off with some quarter round, or something nicely milled. Allow for expansion (1/4" all around), but you probably know that.

Given the amount of time and energy with this project, I might be inclined to use some exotic species of wood, completely sealed, etc., and just don't let anyone in with shoes!!!

However, if you have pets, kids, or other folks planing a visit, maybe a more practicle way is linolium. I bet some people here have real good resources for fine flooring.

Not that you aren't already, but go crazy with the interior. I can't wait to hear what you have planned for cabinetry.

Jonathan