Old 02-17-2006, 07:58 AM   #183
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
My window frames seem to be anodised (sp) I don't think they will polish successfully.
are you sure they don't just have clear-coat on them? mine were REALLY rough looking, but a little elbow grease and man, what a difference! i opted to polish mine off the trailer, since that's where they were, and my work bench was a lot warmer than the outside! ha! once it's all together, i'll probably polish the whole thing again anyway, just getting the really bad spots cleaned up first.

jp

there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:55 AM   #184
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
are you sure they don't just have clear-coat on them? mine were REALLY rough looking, but a little elbow grease and man, what a difference! i opted to polish mine off the trailer, since that's where they were, and my work bench was a lot warmer than the outside! ha! once it's all together, i'll probably polish the whole thing again anyway, just getting the really bad spots cleaned up first.

jp
Good thought, I'll try some stripper on a section and see what happens. There is a considerable amount of clear-coat on my trailer. So it's a good thought.
Don

Old 02-17-2006, 09:26 PM   #185
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Road test

"On the road again. Oh it's good to be on the road again." Road test today, Main test was for breaks, How it pulled, in town and on the Highway 55. All went well. Though I'd share a couple of pictures.
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Road test1.JPG.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	18534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Road test3.JPG.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	18535  

Old 02-17-2006, 09:49 PM   #186
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Don,
Congratulations on your maiden test run. I did the same thing, basically, took my Overlander on a nice long run up the coast to make sure all mechanical systems are go.
Now, what's next?
Old 02-19-2006, 09:43 AM   #187
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Big test this weekend

The big test is coming this week end. We are going to the Mini Rally in Newport OR. We'll be sleeping on the floor. No interior yet!
Wish us luck.
Don
Old 02-19-2006, 10:55 PM   #188
Grandpa's 63 bambi :)

1963 16' Bambi
1967 22' Safari
Lincoln , Nebraska
Hi Don
I have been reading your work, what an undertaking! I am a fairly new ASer, and have a "minor overhaul" under my belt already. New AC on my safari(thought I was gooing to die when I first cut into the top of my AS) , New counter and top, and I made new cushions all in the first year of ownership. My wife loves camping, but after we were all but swept away by a THUNDERSTORM in Arkansas, she said no more tenting . She wanted a pop up, but my grandpa convinced "us" to look into an AS. We love our Safari!
I have recently purchased his 63 ohio bambi. I am looking forward to some "minor renovations" on it. I think the floor is solid, so I mainly am going to focus on other safety issues and appliances...
I did notice on both my safari and bambi that all the glass has been replaced with plexiglass. Yuck! I am wondering where you get your replacement glass. The bambi I believe is all flat glass, but the safari has alot of curved glass. I understand that cornung made the original glass and is no longer available.
This forum is great, and I am looking forward to learning more about this great American tradition! Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	comp Image034.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	18571  
Old 02-19-2006, 11:00 PM   #189
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnssanders
I did notice on both my safari and bambi that all the glass has been replaced with plexiglass. Yuck! I am wondering where you get your replacement glass. The bambi I believe is all flat glass, but the safari has alot of curved glass. I understand that cornung made the original glass and is no longer available.
Chris,

Curved, Corning style glass has been made available again by Steve at www.vintagetrailersupply.com.
He will have the bulb seal and galzing bead for your 63 Bambi as well. Make sure and check your window style first, though. the 63 Airstream models had flat glass. Easy to replace.
You have a nice collection of trailers, both very desirable and valuable!
Old 02-19-2006, 11:28 PM   #190
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
The big test is coming this week end. We are going to the Mini Rally in Newport OR. We'll be sleeping on the floor. No interior yet!
Wish us luck.
Don
Don,
That's great you're able to bring up your Bambi for the mini-rally. We're all anxious to see what you've been able to finish in real life! Reminds me of Chris bringing his Caravel to the Trout Lake rally last July and sleeping on the floor before he was all done! You and Claudia are welcome to sleep in our pull-out sofa-bed if you want! We've got plenty of room! Do you have a way to connect an electrical heater inside your Bambi? If not, it could be several cool nights sleeping in your Bambi!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:32 AM   #191
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnssanders
Hi Don
I have been reading your work, what an undertaking! I am a fairly new ASer, and have a "minor overhaul" under my belt already. New AC on my safari(thought I was gooing to die when I first cut into the top of my AS) , New counter and top, and I made new cushions all in the first year of ownership. My wife loves camping, but after we were all but swept away by a THUNDERSTORM in Arkansas, she said no more tenting . She wanted a pop up, but my grandpa convinced "us" to look into an AS. We love our Safari!
I have recently purchased his 63 ohio bambi. I am looking forward to some "minor renovations" on it. I think the floor is solid, so I mainly am going to focus on other safety issues and appliances...
This forum is great, and I am looking forward to learning more about this great American tradition! Chris
Your Airstreams look really great. As Uwe said, nice collection. If you haven't looked at Uwes thread yet, it is a must. Without a doubt some of the nicest work on this forum. When you get a chance I'd like to see some pictures of the inside of your Bambi. In the picture it looks almost perfect. Just a note of interest my Mom and Dad were both form Omaha and we were back there this last summer doing some family tree work. For the Bambe glass it is 3/32 and you can get it from your local glass person.
Once again Welcome Aboard.
Don
Old 02-20-2006, 09:39 AM   #192
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
Don,
That's great you're able to bring up your Bambi for the mini-rally. We're all anxious to see what you've been able to finish in real life! Reminds me of Chris bringing his Caravel to the Trout Lake rally last July and sleeping on the floor before he was all done! You and Claudia are welcome to sleep in our pull-out sofa-bed if you want! We've got plenty of room! Do you have a way to connect an electrical heater inside your Bambi? If not, it could be several cool nights sleeping in your Bambi!
Chris is the one who inspired us to come with a hallow shell. We had such a good time at the last Rally, we just wanted to make it to this one. In fact the Rally target date helped me get twice as much work done. Thanks for the sofa-bed offer. It sound good. I don't know if I can get Claudia out of her Bambi though. We'll see you there and make a decision then. I will be connecting 110 to the trailer today. Claudia bought a small electric heater just the other day, so we should be good and warm. It's finally clear but cold here in Yreka, 20 this a.m.
Don
Old 02-20-2006, 11:07 AM   #193
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
Great job

Wow you did a great job! I am planning on a shell off next year and read all the posts about this. I copy and paste tidbits that I know I will never remember. Are you going to the International this summer? Would love to see your Bambi in person.
AIR 7834 WBCCI 2105/VAC
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:00 PM   #194
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65glbtrotter
Wow you did a great job! I am planning on a shell off next year and read all the posts about this. I copy and paste tidbits that I know I will never remember. Are you going to the International this summer? Would love to see your Bambi in person.
Cory, thanks for the positive comments. I hope you create a thread on your shell off. It's great to watch other work in progress. I don't know if we will make it to the international yet.
Don
Old 02-20-2006, 09:40 PM   #195
Grandpa's 63 bambi :)

1963 16' Bambi
1967 22' Safari
Lincoln , Nebraska
Quote:
Your Airstreams look really great. As Uwe said, nice collection. If you haven't looked at Uwes thread yet, it is a must. Without a doubt some of the nicest work on this forum. When you get a chance I'd like to see some pictures of the inside of your Bambi. In the picture it looks almost perfect. Just a note of interest my Mom and Dad were both form Omaha and we were back there this last summer doing some family tree work. For the Bambe glass it is 3/32 and you can get it from your local glass person.
Once again Welcome Aboard.
Don
Don, here are a couple of pictures of the interior. I will get some more taken when I pull my bambi out of storage and open it up. Is there anything in particular you are interested in?
Thanks for the information on the glass Uwe. That is GREAT news. We love our safari. I just dont like the window design on the curved pieces. There is no frame around the glass or anything. Probably why they are all plexyglass. I cant wait to get some new pieces ordered. Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	comp Image032.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	18589   Click image for larger version

Name:	comp Image031.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	18590  

Old 02-22-2006, 09:49 AM   #196
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
cnssanders, Your Bambi looks like its in great condition. When ever you feel like posting more pictures, I'll be looking. Is the trailer all original or have there been updates? Would be interested in lighting in the kitchen area. What does the fabric look like?
Don