Old 02-10-2006, 09:12 AM   #169
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Bill, thanks for the input. I like the idea of a "thank you switch". I may look at including that. It could also work as a red backup light. The 60's auto switch sound like what I remembered. I just couldn't remember for sure.
Thanks Don

Old 02-10-2006, 10:05 AM   #170
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcferguson
Uwe solved my problems with this... I think cars used to have a separate brake and turn signal - so the different filaments served these two purposes. They make circuits that combine your tow vehicle brake and turn signals if you have one of those older cars and want to pull a newer trailer.

As for the umbilical, I wired mine up with a jack on both the tow vehicle and airstream so that my cable is completely detachable. It works well and from the looks of my original cable, the elements aren't good to that wire after a few (44) years.

Carlos
Now I remember....I must be either overworked or have attention deficit disorder.
The second jack on the trailer is a good idea. I installed one for my Overlander, after having it on the 71 TradeWind as factory equipment. Another idea I stole from teh TredeWind is the 7-pin round plugs and sockets. The electrical connection is much more secure than the 7-pin flat. I often had to wiggle and shove the 7-pin flat into the bumper end of the Suburban/van before. The 7-pin round just slides into place with a positive feel to it. The amp rating is much higher on the 7-pin round, also. This was the main reason I am using it. My 63 has hydraulic disc brakes with an EH actuator, which draws a fair amount of amperage. The 7-pin flat would have been underrated, when going by theoretical specifications.
The drawback on the 7-pin round is that it is not any longer an RV standard.
Don, if you're going to go 6-pin, then only your own tow vehicle will be able to tow your trailer legally, unless you make an adapter. Might as well go with the 7-pin flat, as you do not have the extra current requirements that I had. Then you will be able to plug into 98% of the current tow vehicles with working lights and brakes. When you buy the plugs and sockets, the wiring scheme is printed inside the box, usually.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:16 PM   #171
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Unhappy Help! I'm breaking glass

I'm trying to replace the window molding on my 63 Bambi. I purchased the Hehr Mark 12 window molding from Vintage Trailer Supply. It matches my flat grass windows. I cleaned the aluminum channel and the glass. It has been next to imposable to install the window molding. I finally broke the glass in the process. Has anyone out there done this before? Can you give me some hints on how to do this.
Thanks Don
Old 02-10-2006, 10:32 PM   #172
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
I'm trying to replace the window molding on my 63 Bambi. I purchased the Hehr Mark 12 window molding from Vintage Trailer Supply. It matches my flat grass windows. I cleaned the aluminum channel and the glass. It has been next to imposable to install the window molding. I finally broke the glass in the process. Has anyone out there done this before? Can you give me some hints on how to do this.
Thanks Don
Don,

You need to stretch the molding into the groove. Same with the bulb seal.
Also, call or write to Steve ( the owner) for more advice.
I started on mine, but got sidetracked doing more work on the interior.
I am assuming that yu have the same windows as my 1963 Overlander.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:56 PM   #173
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Smile The Learning curve, goes round, and round.

Well, a successful window installation! The "Curve" has taught me the following: 1. Never try to install glass and window molding on a cold day. 2. Don't use a hammer! I'd rather not give an explanation. However, If you contact my wife, I'm sure she would enjoy giving you an explanation. 3. Work with the window removed from the trailer and on a flat surface. 4. Have the room at least 80 degrees,( soft rubber works better than hard ). 5. Use a clay modeling tool to guide the rubber into the grove. and number 6. As anyone who has done this before will tell you have the window channel cleaner than your dinner plate! 3 pictures follow: a. the installed window b. the clay tool c. the clay tool again.

p.s. I will wait until a hot summer day to try other windows. And a couple of beers may help.
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Window.JPG.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	18454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clay tool1.JPG.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	18455  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clay tool.JPG.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	18456  
Old 02-15-2006, 12:15 AM   #174
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Wow Don that looks great ! How much do ya charge for that ??
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:07 AM   #175
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Don,
did you replace the bulb seal on the window frame and the glazing strips on the outside of the glass?
How did you end up doing it? Did you have to stretch it into place? I have the bulb seal and glazing bead already, just need time and patience.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:17 AM   #176
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Don,
did you replace the bulb seal on the window frame and the glazing strips on the outside of the glass?
How did you end up doing it? Did you have to stretch it into place? I have the bulb seal and glazing bead already, just need time and patience.
Hi Uwe, I'm ordering the bulb seal today. I replaced the Glazing Tape that sits in the frame first before the glass. Alter the window was placed in I then installed the Window Retaining Gasket 1961-1965 Grey Vinyl. The Retaining Gasket is the one that is trickier. The gasket did stretch some during the installation. Steve had mentioned that he is producing a new material that should have less shrinkage. But that may not be amiable for 2 to 3 months. So I decided to go ahead with the current material. I want to use my trailer as soon as possible. The 80 degree room was also a big help to Arthritic fingers. I will either come up with some diagrams to explain installation or attempt another window and take some pictures.
It looks great. I am pleased with the results.
Don
Old 02-15-2006, 10:20 AM   #177
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Wow Don that looks great ! How much do ya charge for that ??
How about an installation demonstration at the Rally? You build the fire and I'll work the Retaining gasket.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:27 AM   #178
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Speaking of...

Don,
ah, San Felipe temps frequently top 100F, which by your explanation would be a perfect temperature to install the glazing bead on the rest of your windows, and while you're at it, on mine too....how about it? We've got a Rally planned for March!
Old 02-15-2006, 10:51 AM   #179
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
Hi Uwe, I'm ordering the bulb seal today. I replaced the Glazing Tape that sits in the frame first before the glass. Alter the window was placed in I then installed the Window Retaining Gasket 1961-1965 Grey Vinyl. The Retaining Gasket is the one that is trickier. The gasket did stretch some during the installation. Steve had mentioned that he is producing a new material that should have less shrinkage. But that may not be amiable for 2 to 3 months. So I decided to go ahead with the current material. I want to use my trailer as soon as possible. The 80 degree room was also a big help to Arthritic fingers. I will either come up with some diagrams to explain installation or attempt another window and take some pictures.
It looks great. I am pleased with the results.
Don
Don, sounds like you have this all figured out... The bulb seal is quite easy compared to the gasket. My installation method with the gasket was just like yours. I started at one corner and stuck the gasket down onto the slot with a flat screwdriver, then after I had an inch or so in, I started to stretch the gasket before pushing it down into the slot with the screwdriver. I cut one end to 45 degrees to start and then trimmed the other end when I got it almost all inserted. It went in pretty easily by the end of the 6 windows, and then when I dropped a ladder on one of those windows and had to do a seventh, it was a cinch! I didn't find that the gasket had shrunk or pulled back against my stretching, even several months on... I think the pressure holds it in place nicely.

It is a nice feeling to look at those completed windows isn't it?

Carlos
Old 02-15-2006, 12:45 PM   #180
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
cool! i'll be attempting the same thing this weekend, weather permitting! did you pollish the window frames before you did all this? that's where i am at the moment.

jp

there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:33 PM   #181
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
cool! i'll be attempting the same thing this weekend, weather permitting! did you pollish the window frames before you did all this? that's where i am at the moment.

jp
No I didn't polish the frames. I thought about it and decided not to because the rest of the trailer is unpolished. I want to use the trailer this spring and summer. So for now I'm just trying to do the rebuild and concentrate on safety items. I talked with Steve today. Part of my problem may be that I have a trailer that has an odd ball type of window frame. With all the material he has sold to Airstream people I am just the 4th who has had some problem. He is working with me to try and figure out where the problem lies. His current thoughts are on the depth of the channel. It also seems that the odd balls are on the 61 to 63 Bambi trailers. When I find out more details I will post the information. I did get it to work and will continue to do the rest of the windows. It's just going to be more work than normal. There are always those people who like to do things the hard way!
Let me know how it works out for you.
Don

My window frames seem to be anodised (sp) I don't think they will polish successfully.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:31 AM   #182
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Don,
ah, San Felipe temps frequently top 100F, which by your explanation would be a perfect temperature to install the glazing bead on the rest of your windows, and while you're at it, on mine too....how about it? We've got a Rally planned for March!
It's 20 degrees here this morning. Your offer sounds real good at this moment.
Don