Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2006, 11:21 AM   #221
Grandpa's 63 bambi :)

1963 16' Bambi
1967 22' Safari
Lincoln , Nebraska
NorCal, thanks for the quick reply. I had never noticed the wrinkle in the door before. I will have to look close at that. I don't know if it is a bad photo making it stand out or if I had blinders on. I have it parked next to a white sob rv, making the glare. There seems to be an art to photographing these shiny AS. Probably some good filters out there that would help, 0h and pulling it into the shade away from white backgrounds. I like your suggestion about replacing the rivets. I need to invest in the Olympic riveting system and give those hinges a once over. I will probably need to increase the bend radius closer to 90 deg. like you mentioned. Also, I wonder why they sandwiched the hinges in the skin like that. I think the hinge on the outside is a good idea. The door is solid to the body, so I dont think the steel behind the hinges on the body will be an issue, but I did notice that the rivets on the top hinge is pulling away from the body about 1/8". Definately needs some attention there. However, one thing that I am learning on this forum is to never assume that there is nothing wrong untill you get into it. This Bambi has sat in my grandparents driveway since April of '76, so I am sure that there will be many surprises as I get into it. Thats ok, I like surprises. Finally, what do you use to document on the pictures like that? I really like the results. Excelent communication tool! Thanks, Chris
Old 03-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #222
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
More on door hinge alignment

cnssanders, Here are some more graphic displays to help illustrate the things that need to be considered when aligning doors and hinges. The next post will discuss programs used for these images.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bambi bent door skin copy.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	19214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bambi bent hinge copy.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	19215  

Name:	Bambi Door-corrosion copy.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	19216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bambi Door-skin-bent copy.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	19217  

NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:46 AM   #223
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
more door

More images on door and hinge alignment.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bambi worn 3D door hinge copy.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	19218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bambi hinge correct copy.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	19219  

Old 03-12-2006, 11:55 AM   #224
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Photo labels and graphic images

cnssanders, There is a list of the programs I use to edit the pictures. All the editing is done off line and then the photos are up loaded. To get the arrows and text on the pictures I first use Adobe Image Ready which allows me to add text and graphic images to .JPG or other photo formats. Then the photo is edited in Abode Photo Shop to change the image to a .JPG format. I use JPG format because it allows for grater variation in shapes and colors and is a good compression format. The 3D graphic images are done in Alias Wavefront Maya. This program is use in the film and gaming industry to create the images like you saw in Toy story.
Don
You may know If you double click on the images in the posting you will get a much larger image to view.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:00 PM   #225
Grandpa's 63 bambi :)

1963 16' Bambi
1967 22' Safari
Lincoln , Nebraska
NorCal, I can see what you mean about hinges. Especially on oval shaped objects. The hinges have quite an angle to them just to get the door to open squarely to the trailer. I can see that it could be quite a challenge to get them aligned correctly so they dont bind. Gotta love a challenge. HA, what am I talking about, at least I'm not tackeling a floor removal-Knock on (solid? ) wood. Thanks for the editing info, sounds like something to play with on a rainy day. That Wavefront 3D software sounds intense!! Chris
Old 03-23-2006, 10:27 PM   #226
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
update

I've been working on upgrading the electrical and sealing all the seam on the inside of the trailer. Not the stuff of great pictures. I've also been working on finish work on my daughter's home remodel. So the trailer work has slowed down some.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:50 PM   #227
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
I've been working on upgrading the electrical and sealing all the seam on the inside of the trailer. Not the stuff of great pictures. I've also been working on finish work on my daughter's home remodel. So the trailer work has slowed down some.
We took ours out last week, for the first time officially. Now that I know it can be camped in, I will sow down the work a but as well. Devote some time to family again. Dad who?......
Will get back to it off and on, correct some plumbing issues, and build a "loungette" up front, sortof what Carlos did (jcferguson)
Otherwise, our Overlander performed like a dream on our Baja trip last week.
btw, speaking of electrical, I ende dup with 2 problems that have me going in circles...one dead short in a streetside supply line, and one intermittent for a set of lights over the bed. I must have drilled or riveted a 10 gauge by accident. But fortunately I have extra circuits to back up what I've lost.
My point is, do run some extra wire across the roof, just in case.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:51 PM   #228
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
That part took a long time for me - I didn't really know what should go where and had to think about the layout while I was putting in wires. Do you have your plan all ready in mind?

C
jcferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:58 PM   #229
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Overkill

I ran 10 and 12gauge wire all over the place.
Separate fused circuits for galley power ( water pump and fan) then roof top fans, light circuikts, etc. I also ran extra wires to both sides of the trailer and down below the cabinet level, where it is easy to run exposed wiring if need be. In this case, overkill is a good thing.
I ended up using 10 of the 12 circuits in my fuse panel. Soon I will find use for the 2 remaining ones, as in patio lights, and strobe lighted pink flamingos.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:54 AM   #230
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
.......and strobe lighted pink flamingos.
Gotta love it!

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:33 AM   #231
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
We took ours out last week, for the first time officially. Now that I know it can be camped in, I will sow down the work a but as well. Devote some time to family again. Dad who?......
Will get back to it off and on, correct some plumbing issues, and build a "loungette" up front, sortof what Carlos did (jcferguson)
Otherwise, our Overlander performed like a dream on our Baja trip last week.
btw, speaking of electrical, I ende dup with 2 problems that have me going in circles...one dead short in a streetside supply line, and one intermittent for a set of lights over the bed. I must have drilled or riveted a 10 gauge by accident. But fortunately I have extra circuits to back up what I've lost.
My point is, do run some extra wire across the roof, just in case.
Looked at you pictures from Baja. What a nice trip. Its nice to know that there is light at the end of the restoration tunnel! I've decided that there must be a wiring demond. I wonder if someone could invent an electronic device that would keep it at bay. I have put extra wire in the top of the trailer and and outlet up by the vent. Not sure why. It just sounded like a cood idea.
Don
Old 03-26-2006, 07:35 AM   #232
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcferguson
That part took a long time for me - I didn't really know what should go where and had to think about the layout while I was putting in wires. Do you have your plan all ready in mind?

C
The wiring is done, and I'm installing the rest of the insulation now. I'm just hoping everything will work. Who knows, I may be a little short!
Don
Old 03-26-2006, 07:47 AM   #233
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Gotta love it!
Speaking of pink Flamingos. I thought I'd throw this in for laughs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream East gothic copy.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	19850  
Old 03-27-2006, 05:27 PM   #234
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Too much time...

Hello all, I am the "other half" in the little blue hat. Just because it is really cold in the garage sometimes, and just because Don is working on helping our daughter remodel her home, and just because I keep saying "Whoa boy" when he grabs his wallet... My "honey-do" list getting the Bambi done for Spring is slowing...... When I did an impulse buy on ebay for this, I had no idea what I was getting him into! I wanna go camping!

Just thanks everyone for being supportive in this forum. Don always looks forward to seeing what folks have to say!

CaddyGrn
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:18 PM   #235
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
Hello all, I am the "other half" in the little blue hat. Just because it is really cold in the garage sometimes, and just because Don is working on helping our daughter remodel her home, and just because I keep saying "Whoa boy" when he grabs his wallet... My "honey-do" list getting the Bambi done for Spring is slowing...... When I did an impulse buy on ebay for this, I had no idea what I was getting him into! I wanna go camping!

Just thanks everyone for being supportive in this forum. Don always looks forward to seeing what folks have to say!

CaddyGrn
Welcome CaddyGrn. Nice to hear from the "other" half!
Hobby is doing a fantastic job! I am sure you will enjoy the fruits of his labor very soon!
Old 03-30-2006, 09:53 PM   #236
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
interior shell

Well, I'm continuing to work on the interior shell. Wires, wires, wires everywhere. 12v additions are as follows, Cigarette lighter below the front window shelf, lighting under the overhead storage, stereo connection in top front shelf, connection for fan over stove, connection for fan or whatever in the top vent area. 110v additions, front street side for air conditioning, cupboard by sink for microwave, additional plug on street side by back side window, lighting in overhead cabinets, connection in top vent area, separate fused circuit in kitchen for toaster etc. Both ends of the trailer have all the inner skins replaced. Just have the center section left. I've used a different type of converter and setup. I have pictures when I get it finished. Here are a couple of progress pictures for now.
Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1004048 (2).jpg
Views:	157
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	19985   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1004059.jpg
Views:	174
ID:	19986  

Name:	P1004062.jpg
Views:	183
ID:	19987  
Old 03-30-2006, 10:04 PM   #237
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Don,
If I had to do this again, I would run all the wires in a loom, or at least in very concentrated runs. And then mark the skin and take lots of photos of the wiring, before putting on the interior skin. this way you will know exactly where you can drill for screws or rivets, and where there's wires in the way...I lost one circuit to careless furniture installation.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:11 PM   #238
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Don,
If I had to do this again, I would run all the wires in a loom, or at least in very concentrated runs. And then mark the skin and take lots of photos of the wiring, before putting on the interior skin. this way you will know exactly where you can drill for screws or rivets, and where there's wires in the way...I lost one circuit to careless furniture installation.
I have tried to run the wiring in similar paths. I had made a couple of looms using plastic ties. I ran into a problem when I was installing my style of insulation. The loom was too thick and took up to much space. So I had to cut the ties and spread the wires out. Yes, I have taken lots of pictures. At 65 it also helps with the memory.
Don
Old 03-31-2006, 08:57 AM   #239
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Don,
That's really good advice, since I'll be at this stage soon... er, eventually.
ankornuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:25 AM   #240
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Another alternative is conduit. It's easy to change things later.

I used smurf tube and plastic boxes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	110805rewire 018.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	20007  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote