Old 04-27-2005, 04:36 PM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
jamie..and doug
Here is a link to my Photos If you need more photos or specfic details let me know...I probably have pictures I haven't posted yet I have stopped all but one persistant leak and I am still looking for that one, so I guess it is time for a hose and a helper.

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 04:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Corpus Christi , Texas
I have used the Rot Doctor product or I should say tried to use it, and feel it is one of the most overhyped products I have ever used. In my opinion, it is only useful for wood that is in near perfect condition. It might have some use for wood that is nearly impossible to get to for replacement. In this case, you can inject the wood with the syringe. Again, I think the product is mostly hype.

On the other hand, I have used West Systems Epoxys since the early 80's. I even built a racing sail boat out of it. When properly used, it is one of the best products on the market primarily because it has so many different applications. Plus it has a wide variety of thickners which can be used to make very durable filling products. Great stuff! I keep the epoxy and the thickeners on hand at all times.

So Long!
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 06:22 PM   #17
Round on both ends
1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Just as an aside from one who lives in Georgia, we can get mildew on our houses, both around Atlanta and further south. Sometimes the humidity is so high that it's like living inside a cloud. I think the air CAN BE the constant source of moisture.
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 07:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts

You guys with your pictures are starting to scare me again.

I went out to take a look at the floor again today in the rain and I'm not seeing any water. The floor just looks a little lighter in the areas where the bleach/water cleaning has dried up.

My recollection from what the previous owner told me is that everything was sealed up on the outside when P&S put the new clearcoat on in 2001. I can't tell when (if?) the furnishings were last removed but I'm guessing from the clutter I found that it was before 2001, so maybe the moisture came into the trailer before the exterior was redone. The p.o. left me some vulkem and said she was careful about watching the seams and windows for possible leaks. The only leak she had experienced was during a severe, driving rain and she said water came in somehow around the antenna and leaked onto the stove. I haven't found any floor problems there (yet).

We are the 4th owners and the last owner full-timed in it until last fall. The trailer has traveled all around the country until it was parked last fall. From the records I have, it looks like it's home has always been the northeast. But you know what they say about our summers up here -- it's not the temperature, it's the humidity! We live in a forested wetland area so it's not going to get any better. My assumption was that once the mildew had gotten started and was not properly cleaned out, it was fed by humidity in the air and improper ventilation. My hope was that once I cleaned up the mildew and repaired the floor, I wouldn't have any more problems.

Okay, okay. I know I'm still in denial about any water getting in. I'll keep checking.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 10:41 PM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Once the floor got wet, however that happened, the mildew could have grown as the water slowly evaporated, making a humid spot there. Don't forget that mildew will leave ugly stains, even if it has died off. What is mildew anyway, a fungus? So you might have just been cleaning up old mildew stains. Good news that it rained and you didn't see any more water inside. Maybe it's just the remains of an old leak that has already been fixed.

You might want to just rot doctor it, put it back together, and move on with your life

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:15 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Can you tell me where to get West Systems Epoxy? Thank you.

PKelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Corpus Christi , Texas
I see from you address you may have a little trouble getting it. It is sold at most well stocked marine stores. I buy it at Boaters World or West Marine (no relation to West Systems Epoxy). Boaters World is usually lower priced and I saw it on Boaters World's website. Measuring accurately is important so be sure to get the pumps for precise measuring. In warm weather the standard hardner may be too fast, so use the slow hardner. And for spreading the epoxy, use the yellow West System foam rollers. Cleanup is much easier using the West System cleaner.

So Long!
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:16 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member
1975 24' Argosy 24
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
After researching several epoxies that I use in building canoes and boats I have found that WEST is somewhat over priced. I have had great results using epoxy from FGCI. I have no ties to this company and receive no kickbacks. I just like to see folks get thier money's worth.
Iceboy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 01:51 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member
Posts: 16 has a dealer locater icon. I plan to fill-in a small 1" sq. water damage area adjacent to the entry door hindge side. I've also thought about using epoxy over the entire floor to water seal it before installing my tile, cork, carpet, bamboo floor.

Any comments on what the epoxy seal would do to depreciate the adhesive surface qualities of plywood?

PKelley is offline   Reply With Quote