Old 02-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Floor repair

Having gutted most of the interior of our Safari, I am getting ready to replace several bad spots in the floor... The door way, around both wheel wells, and near the side hatch. They are rather small areas maybe 12"-14" and out from the wall 4"-6". My question for all you "been theres", is it better to cut the floor back to the main frame and put the joint there on top of the frame, or make the cuts as small as needed, and sister the joints together at the cuts?
Thanks all,
Barry

Old 02-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
it would be better, and easier, to cut back to framing members. Especially in the door area. If you have a seam not on top of a framing member, then use a spline or gusset underneath the seam to reinforce it. Glue & screw the gusset to the bottom of the plywood. The steps are directly inside the door, & they will prevent you from using a gusset there. Personally, I'd cut back to frame & crossmembers / outfitters as much as possible.

Chris

Old 02-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I've had no problems splicing in pieces w/ the seam in the middle, but the overall size of the fixes were small. The butt-blocks are also 3/4" plywood and extend back a ways onto the original sheet, and are glued w/ gorilla glue (polyurethane) & laminating screws (like heavy duty drywall screws).
Here's some pictures of one of the rotten spots & the repair. This was my first one; the one in the bathroom where the rear-end separation happened was about the same depth, but across the back of the trailer.

Tin Pickle Adventures: Floor repairs

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Thanks guys.. I measured the wood floor thickness and it's .634" which is , I suppose, supposed to be 5/8". Did they use different thicknesses for flooring? This is a 66 Safari.
Thanks,
Barry
Old 02-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
Thanks guys.. I measured the wood floor thickness and it's .634" which is , I suppose, supposed to be 5/8". Did they use different thicknesses for flooring? This is a 66 Safari.
Thanks,
Barry
It should be 5/8ths I used Marine grade ply. But after all that repairing you should really address the water intrusion issue.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Ok so I now have replaced the floor and am wondering what to use to level the indents from tightening the bolts down. There are also a couple of 1/4" gaps that need filling. We will eventually do a possible marmoleum type floor, so I want to make sure that everything is level.

My first thought was just filling with fiberglass resin. Afterwards I thought maybe just regular auto bondo would work. Then in a flash of brilliance I thought I'd ask ya'll , being that surely some of you have had to do the same. So what do I need?
Thanks all,
Barry & Karen