Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 16' Safari
Ottawa , Ontario
Floor Removal

Attempting to remove rotton portion of old floor . I have removed the large mounting screws but there is something holding the edges under the walls . How do I get in there ?
'05 Bambi 16 ft
Peter Housto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
There are lots and lots of discussion here on full and partial floor replacement. Try some searches and you can read yourself to sleep. But everything you need to know and more will be there. The floor is sandwiched into a channel. If you have removed a lower inside panel it should be clear. There are bolts that you will see inside the wall through the channed and flooring material. I do not believe the channel goes the curved ends of the trailer but along the straight portions. All the guidance and info is here to do partial or full replacement if you are up to it. You can also find guidance here to experienced shops if you're looking to have it done. You will find that if it can be done to an Airstream it has been and discussed here.

I recently did a partial floor job in the forward section of my '85 Excella. It was tough to get the remains of the floor out of the channel. But you gotta do it. My floor was damaged by water leaks and I was able to pretty much pull it apart with my hands. I found that a multitool worked very well to get in close and cut the flakeboard that was solid away. Using a cordless drill I chewed away at the wood compressed into the channel then with various screwdrivers I just picked it out in chunks. You gotta get it all out one way or the other. I left the screws in place. They seemed solid to me so I chose not to remove them. If you do, then you must remove the belly pan so you can replace them. I took 3/4" marine plywood and, using a router, took about 1/8" off the edge where it slides into the channel and rounded the edge to allow it to slide in. I notched the edge for the bolts in the channel and slipped the new plywood in. This seems to be the shortcut method. Worked well for me. I hope I don't need to do any more. I will be more careful, much more careful, about leaks in the future to help prevent this sort of damage.

Enjoy your reading. Good luck with your repairs.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Howdy and welcome to Airforums.com, Peter! As polarlyse said, you will be able to find the info you want on here. Rotten floors is a very popular subject, and removing the hidden bolts has been discussed many times.

I'm just surprised that an '05 model would be that far gone already!

Try the search function: look up to the top of the page, and in the top dark blue horizontal bar, there is a search button towards the right side.

The Google search choice in there is the fastest, but some users find that the options in other versions of search there can get more explicit info.

Keep us informed, and please post lots of pictures. You photos will attract more interest than just a text post will, it's a fact.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2005 16' Safari
Ottawa , Ontario
Thank you both for the info and ideas . I was getting discouraged !
The job will have to be put on hold for 2 weeks as we are going away . (Not in the Bambi though !!) I definitely will post [pics.
Peter Housto is offline   Reply With Quote