Old 10-14-2015, 12:46 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Pawcatuck , Connecticut
Hi does the plywood have to be in one 4'x92" piece with shell on partial replacement that large of a piece is difficult to maneuver in place.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty1971 View Post
Hi does the plywood have to be in one 4'x92" piece with shell on partial replacement that large of a piece is difficult to maneuver in place.
It depends. If you're replacing the last 2 or 3 sheets of plywood you can usually pry/separate (gravity might even take care of it) the frame from the body enough to slide the panels in 1 at a time. If you're replacing a single sheet in the middle of the trailer you can "split" the plywood so you have (2) 46" x 48" pieces and install a "cleat" down the bottom middle to "sew" the sheet back together. The "cleat" would be a something like 6" wide and I'd glue and screw it (generously) the length of the seam - there'll be an "interruption" in the cleat at the "intermediate" cross member.

Good Luck

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Pawcatuck , Connecticut
Hi thanks for reply...I don't want to take shell off I have removed bolts in c channel so plywood should fit nicely the pieces i'm replacing were plywood that was cut in sections as long as they are bolted and secured do you think that is a way to go I can't handle hugh pieces of plywood
Old 10-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
. . . that was the version where you don't have to remove the shell HOWEVER, the Belly Pan would have to be detached to do what I described above . . . and it sounds your skin-to-channel-to-belly pan is all still attached - photos would be helpful BUT basically if there isn't a Cross Member below any of your proposed joints you need to install a substantial "cleat" below the joint.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:10 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Pawcatuck , Connecticut
Another big problem is removing the old rusted bolts I've cut away where I could can you recommend a tool that will cut away the ones in c channel that won't unscrew and are still holding plywood??? nitemare
Old 10-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Is the belly pan still in place? Again, I'm assuming it is. If it's elevator bolts "out in the field" of the plywood, you can set your skill saw for a 5/8" deep cut and cut out a small square around the bolt head, break up the remaining little plywood square and then use a bolt cutter to snip it off or a cut off wheel . . . If it's bolts out at the perimeter in the bottom wall track, thru the plywood and into the outriggers, AND everything (belly pan, outer skin) is still attached then you may need to take a "happy pill" and keep working on it. You might try a reciprocating saw and try to be as parallel to the side as possible (so you don't run the blade thru the side of the ext. skin) . . .