Old 04-14-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Natalia , Texas
Question Floor installation

I have read quite a bit of good information on replacing the floor so feel confident in tackling my floor repair. Just one question for right now, if you are going to replace a full sheet across the width of the trailer do you cut it at some point where the joint will fall on a support and install it as two pieces or can you somehow get the uncut sheet to go in across the width ? or if its only bad on the ends at the wall just replace that portion and leave the center as is?

thanks
Bill

Old 04-14-2006, 09:21 PM   #2
uwe

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by wohtex
I have read quite a bit of good information on replacing the floor so feel confident in tackling my floor repair. Just one question for right now, if you are going to replace a full sheet across the width of the trailer do you cut it at some point where the joint will fall on a support and install it as two pieces or can you somehow get the uncut sheet to go in across the width ? or if its only bad on the ends at the wall just replace that portion and leave the center as is?

thanks
Bill
There are many variables. The best and strongest method, in my opinion, is to remove the shell and replace the entire floor. The sheets span across the width of the trailer, and are joined every 4 feet, across the crossmembers.
Some have installed split sheets, split in the middle, others have patched bad areas successfully.
It depends on what you want to end up with, and what you are willing to put up with, and how much money and effort you want to pour into your trailer.
I believe that a rotten floor's best friend is a rotten frame. Not sure how you can do a quality repair with the belly pan on and the shell on as well.

Old 04-14-2006, 09:49 PM   #3
Site Team

, Minnesota
I know that one or two others have slid in full width sheets in the back to repair rear floor rot. It only works because the corner radius give you enough clearance to turn the sheet. The other way is to do a "clamshell" where you slide the sheet in from the end by bending the frame down and jacking up the shell.

Both of these are back a ways and may need some searching to locate.

I did what Uwe did; took the whole thing apart. You need to assess the condition of the frame before you make a decision.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
I agree with Uwe and markdoane. We all took similar approaches. It's been a lot of work, however I feel the my wife and I can use our trailer for many years without any worries.
Don
Old 04-15-2006, 12:09 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Natalia , Texas
Smile Floor installation

Thanks will try to research this section more and see what else I can find, have time won't start on floor for at least 3 to 4 weeks. Will look at frame after cutting out damage area and since belly pan is off at rear will look inside there also.

Thanks
Bill